TiVo Community Forum banner
441 - 460 of 2640 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed your version of Pytivo today. Love it. I have something going on I need a hand with.

It is reporting 'An Update is available, A new version of Pytivo Desktop is available, Current Version 1.5.11 Current Version 1.5.12 What would you like to do?'

I press yes and I end up at the 1.5.11 version (which is installed) no causes the box to disapear - then immediatly reaper.

HALPS!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was about to post about this too. I have 1.5.11 installed, it's asking about 1.5.12. I hit "No", since I don't want to update at the moment, and the box keeps popping up again, prompting me to update. I've hit No a bunch of times, just to see if it would stop asking after a few, and it keeps coming back. Hopefully it can be tweaked to wait a day, etc, before asking again.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
I was about to post about this too. I have 1.5.11 installed, it's asking about 1.5.12. I hit "No", since I don't want to update at the moment, and the box keeps popping up again, prompting me to update. I've hit No a bunch of times, just to see if it would stop asking after a few, and it keeps coming back. Hopefully it can be tweaked to wait a day, etc, before asking again.
Or, perhaps better, it will only ask once and then leave the user alone absent a new version coming out--pushy program. ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
This looks like a great start, Dan! Thanks for your hard work. A couple of UI questions for you...

1) Can you look at doing a hi-dpi menu bar icon? It is very blurry on a retina screen. See attached image.
2) Any chance you can tweak the app icon to fit better with the "unofficial" application icon shapes? See this post for info about them: Inspecting Yosemite's Icons
3) Is there any chance that something like this would be able to run on a Raspberry Pi with a remote web interface? I don't know if the Pi is powerful enough, but it would make a great low-cost media archiver/server.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
55,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #445 ·
I just installed your version of Pytivo today. Love it. I have something going on I need a hand with.

It is reporting 'An Update is available, A new version of Pytivo Desktop is available, Current Version 1.5.11 Current Version 1.5.12 What would you like to do?'

I press yes and I end up at the 1.5.11 version (which is installed) no causes the box to disapear - then immediatly reaper.

HALPS!
1.5.12 is available on the website.

That being said it shouldn't keep bugging you like that. I set the timer to check every 24 hours. Not sure why it wouldn't go away. I'll have to look into that.

I'll look into making the interval configurable and adding a "don't ask again" option.

·
tivo_xml developer
1,818 Posts
Yeah it is annoying. Looking at the code I think I could make it close on X but that seems to break the normal Mac paradigm, so I'm not sure if I should.
I know the tray icon is *technically* a separate process from the window UI, and thus closing the window shouldn't quit the UI app(if we're doing things the 'Mac' way); but for the end user, they're effectively both parts of the single pyTivo Desktop app.

So the way I see it, closing the window isn't me saying "I want to quit pyTivo", it's me saying I'm done with the UI part and just want the server running in the background with no dock icon(but still with easy access to the main UI again via the tray icon). Just my 2 cents, I'm ultimately good however you want it to work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Apple's Photos application and its predecessor iPhoto both quit the application when the last window is closed. So do Apple's Reminders and Notes applications. Almost every other MacOS app keeps the application open (and in the dock) when the last window is closed. Go figure.

·
Super Moderator
55,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #452 ·
Just put up a new Mac version. Contains all the fixes from last Windows update as well as it will now exit when you close the Window, contains a higher resolution tray icon that will hopefully look less pixelated on high DPI displays (I can't test this) and now has all the executables, including the installer and dmg, signed by my Apple ID so that you shouldn't need to bypass GateKeeper. (let me know if you have any trouble with this)

·
Super Moderator
55,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #453 ·
There is definitely something wrong with the auto update feature. I just ran into the same issue with it just popping up the dialog over and over and not allowing me to dismiss it.

I need to figure out a good way to test it without annoying you guys though.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
There is definitely something wrong with the auto update feature. I just ran into the same issue with it just popping up the dialog over and over and not allowing me to dismiss it.

I need to figure out a good way to test it without annoying you guys though.
The good news, though, in the interim: while the box may be there, pyTivo Desktop still is useable and other windows will go over the message box.

·
Super Moderator
55,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #455 ·
I figured out the issue. It was a stupid type conversion error. It was reading the value as a string instead of an int. :mad:

While I was at it I added a setting to the Desktop app to change how frequently it checks for updates, including the ability to disable it completely. Although it will still check for an update automatically each time the tray app is started from scratch. (I have no easy way to keep track of the last time it checked unless I clutter up the config file, which I don't want to do)

Since this is a minor update I'll hold it back for now until I get a few more changes in there.

·
I miss the ocean
6,926 Posts
I was getting the persistant pop-up to install update also, so I just ended the program, and went to website to update, hasn't nagged since.

Question: this isn't a request or anything, but just wondering how it picks to display your tivo's on the top window.
I have 4 Tivos that it can see, and the only one I would download from is always 3rd in the list.
Just wondering, no biggie....

thanks

441 - 460 of 2640 Posts