TiVo Community Forum banner
421 - 440 of 2640 Posts

·
Super Moderator
55,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 ·
There is one nagging issue I don't like. The pyinstaller thing I use to build the python scripts into a self contained exe has a bug that causes it to always display an icon in the dock for the little tray app. Someone posted a patch for it to the project, but it's not included in the build yet and that portion is a C app and I'm not quite sure how to build it. I'm going to look into it tomorrow and see if I can figure it out, but not sure what to do if I can't get it working. It's minor in the scheme of things, but my nerosis wont let me release it until I've got it fixed.

·
tivo_xml developer
1,818 Posts
I finally got the Mac version working. Have a few minor bugs I have to work out, but it's running on my development machine. Once I get the bugs ironed out and an installer built for it I'll upload it to the website.
I'm game for testing potentially broken builds and reporting any issues. Running MacOS 10.12 on a MacBook Air.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Minor data point but something to consider: Installed the latest version and it works fine locally. Sees all four of my local Tivos (an S2, two S3s and a new Bolt) when on the same network but does not see the Bolt on a remote network while dialed in on a VPN. The computer has an IP address from the remote network and I can ping the Bolt but pyTivo can't seem to find it.

·
Super Moderator
55,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #426 ·
Minor data point but something to consider: Installed the latest version and it works fine locally. Sees all four of my local Tivos (an S2, two S3s and a new Bolt) when on the same network but does not see the Bolt on a remote network while dialed in on a VPN. The computer has an IP address from the remote network and I can ping the Bolt but pyTivo can't seem to find it.
I don't think bonjur works over VPN. I'm pretty sure TiVo Desktop and the TiVos themselves have the same issue.

·
tivo_xml developer
1,818 Posts
The Mac version has been posted. Please try it out and let me know if you have any trouble.
Mac version is up and running here:). Two notes (both relatively minor):

1) Icon still shows in dock all the time (ie when the window is closed but the tray icon is still running); assuming that's just something you haven't dealt with yet, and no big deal for me.

2) I didn't realize the disk image contained the installer, from the naming I thought I was supposed to drag the pyTivo_1.5.11.app file to the Applications folder; perhaps explicitly naming it something like 'pyTivo_installer_v1.5.11.app' would be helpful here. Once I realized I had to run that and it would drop the actual app into the Applications folder (along with doing the other setup tasks), it was smooth sailing.

I'll do uploads and downloads a bit today, but so far things look really good.

·
tivo_xml developer
1,818 Posts
) Icon still shows in dock all the time (ie when the window is closed but the tray icon is still running); assuming that's just something you haven't dealt with yet, and no big deal for me.
Little more detail: Actually, the dock icon will disappear if I use the pyTivoDesktop menu or Command-Q to quit the window. If I merely click the red x icon on the window, the dock icon remains. If possible, I'd prefer the x to handle things the same way as using the menu or key combo(would probably be good to change the wording to 'Close' vs. 'Quit', again, only if possible).

·
Registered
412 Posts
I am also running the OSX version and echo gonzotek's comments, although I just doubleclicked on the .dmg file after it was done downloading. I had to change my security settings to allow running an installation program from an unknown author. I started downloading 2 shows from my Roamio Basic before I left fo work.

·
tivo_xml developer
1,818 Posts
I am also running the OSX version and echo gonzotek's comments, although I just doubleclicked on the .dmg file after it was done downloading. I had to change my security settings to allow running an installation program from an unknown author. I started downloading 2 shows from my Roamio Basic before I left fo work.
Yes, I had to override my default security setting as well(I understand why and all, just noting it here for reference).

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
I had to change my security settings to allow running an installation program from an unknown author. I started downloading 2 shows from my Roamio Basic before I left fo work.
Simply as a data point, this appears to be similar to the precautions in the Win10 installation process--an installation warning box pops up and one needs to click on a very de-emphasized "More info" link to get to an option to run the program.

·
Super Moderator
55,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
Yeah I ran into the security thing too. It's worse then Windows because you have to actually go in and change the setting to make it run. Unfornately getting a developer license to sign my code with costs $100/year and I'm not sure I want to do that. I might though, still considering it.

The window thing with the red X seems to be typical of most Mac programs. It seems that in most apps closing the Window doesn't exit the app, you have to use Quit to actually exit. I don't use my Mac that often though. Do you guys have other programs that exit when you close the window?

Good point about the dmg/installer. Again I'm not an avid Mac user, so I'm not famaliar with what's typical. Maybe I'll change the name of the installer inside the dmg to "Double click to install" so that it's clear how it works.

·
Super Moderator
55,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #434 ·
I do not have any other programs that Exit when you close the window.

I like using OSX, but I find this behavior really annoying. If I wanted the program to continue running, I'd minimize it, not click on the X.
Yeah it is annoying. Looking at the code I think I could make it close on X but that seems to break the normal Mac paradigm, so I'm not sure if I should.

·
Super Moderator
55,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #436 ·
I signed up for the Apple developer program so that I could get the certificate needed to sign the installer. The way it works now you essentially have to turn GateKeeper off just to install and it doesn't give you instructions on how to do that, so I worry that will deter people from using the app. I still need to figure out how to sign it though. So I'll try to get a new installer posted in the next couple days that is signed.

·
Unknown Member
4,708 Posts
The way it works now you essentially have to turn GateKeeper off just to install and it doesn't give you instructions on how to do that, so I worry that will deter people from using the app.
Do what you want, but from a user pov it's pretty trivial. Lots of developers don't want to sign up with Apple so any Mac user who's likely to be interested in this kind of software pretty much does the install on mental autopilot.

·
Super Moderator
55,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #438 ·
I'm not a Mac user so for me it seemed cumbersome. If it turns out to be a bust I just wont renew next year.

I was also thinking about writing an (unrelated) iPhone app, so I'd need the developer account for that anyway.

·
Super Moderator
55,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
I think I'm missing something? You hold down the control key.
Really? I had to go to system & preferences and turn off the gatekeeper completely. There was a little button that said something like "we blocked pyTivo" with a "run anyway" button, but that button didn't work. I didn't know about the control key trick. :eek:

421 - 440 of 2640 Posts