TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 2630 Posts

·
Super Moderator
59,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
On Vista+ Windows puts the conf file in a virtual directory because it does not allow writing directly to the install directory. I considered moving it to !y Documents or AppData but I didn't want to make it too Windows specific.

·
Super Moderator
59,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It worked really well... For the novice it might be confusing because there is no installation notification. No obvious way to determine the next step - you have to go to the tray, find the pytivo icon and right click on it for options.

It would be nice if the dialog to choose a file directory were presented to the user immediately following install.

That said: It was quick and sweet... I didn't have to install and configure, I didn't have to setup pytivo as a service....

Really nice job!
I'll see if I can add a CLI flag to the code that will launch the settings UI so I can launch with that from the installer.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
I'll see if I can add a CLI flag to the code that will launch the settings UI so I can launch with that from the installer.
One hiccup I've found with installers since Windows 7 (never used Vista) is that they typically run as an Administrator, and the offer/option to launch the program immediately after installation completes always launches the program under the associated Administrator account, rather than the user's actual account.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
ok so it was easy enough to install. where can I find out how to use it? is it comparable to Tivo desktop 2.8.3?

windows 10 home PC
the pytivo icon is in my systray with a red x that says "stopped". clicking start only starts it for a few seconds then the red x again. clicking edit shares does nothing. a reboot changed nothing, nor did changing security to full control for x386/pytivo folder
all I want to do is auto transfer my podcasts to my tivo each day.

·
Super Moderator
59,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
One hiccup I've found with installers since Windows 7 (never used Vista) is that they typically run as an Administrator, and the offer/option to launch the program immediately after installation completes always launches the program under the associated Administrator account, rather than the user's actual account.
There is a checkbox in Inno Setup that I set that says "launch as original user" so hopefully that gets around that issue.

·
Super Moderator
59,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
ok so it was easy enough to install. where can I find out how to use it? is it comparable to Tivo desktop 2.8.3?

windows 10 home PC
the pytivo icon is in my systray with a red x that says "stopped". clicking start only starts it for a few seconds then the red x again. clicking edit shares does nothing. a reboot changed nothing, nor did changing security to full control for x386/pytivo folder
all I want to do is auto transfer my podcasts to my tivo each day.
Hmmm... sounds like something has gone wrong. I haven't seen anything like that in my testing. Try temporarily disabling your antivirus and see if that allows it to run. If it does then add an exception to the AV program for the install folder.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,392 Posts
I used to use pyTiVo on an almost daily basis, but haven't touched it in many months since installing Plex on an Apple TV 4. I do love the idea of an installer that doesn't require reading lots of detailed websites to figure out what to do. I'm sure that will be very helpful for those that still have a use for that kind of software. Good job, Dan.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hmmm... sounds like something has gone wrong. I haven't seen anything like that in my testing. Try temporarily disabling your antivirus and see if that allows it to run. If it does then add an exception to the AV program for the install folder.
No luck. I disabled norton. Even uninstalled then reinstalled with norton disabled. Can't get it to start for more than 2 seconds. Maybe someone else will have thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
59,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Search your drive for pytivo.conf

You may need to manually open the firewall. In my tests it always popped up a firewall thing in Windows to open it up automatically, but if you're using a 3rd party firewall that may not happen

·
Super Moderator
59,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
All I ever installed was Tivo desktop which is still working
No biggie

I do have Plex not sure if that uses python
I really don't know why it wouldn't work. The fact that it wont even show the shares UI seems really strange. It's just a dialog. You don't have a second monitor do you? One thing I noticed on my machine is the dialogs always display on the second monitor for some reason.

·
Super Moderator
59,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
One thing you can do...

1) Open explorer and go to PyTivo install directory
2) Shift+right click the pyTivo.exe and pick copy path
3) Open a command prompt
4) Right click in cmd window to paste the path of pyTivo.exe
5) Press enter

That will show the command output of the main pyTivo program and may give you a clue why it's not running

·
TiVowner since 1999
1,433 Posts
I've created an easier to use/install version of pyTivo. It's compiled into a standard Windows exe and does NOT require you to install python on your PC to work. It also includes a simple UI for setting up and managing shares. Some of the advanced features still have to be setup using the web UI or by editing the config file by hand, but this should be a lot easier for people to get going if all you want to do is transfer videos from your PC to your TiVo or use Music/Photos.
FWIW, working like a charm under Win 10 here. Thanks, Dan!

·
2,342 Posts
Hi Dan,

Does an older version of pytivo and python need to be uninstalled first. Old version works fine for my purposes but I'm interested in this new and improved version. Can you summarize the improvements?

Thanks,
S

21 - 40 of 2630 Posts