TiVo Community Forum banner
361 - 380 of 2629 Posts

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
A Plex Server is on my (HUGE) "To Do / Round Tuit" list.

Please provide more details or terms I can GOOGLE to narrow down my SEARCH on how what you're describing works ('selectable' CCs). Thanks! :)

@epstewart, in Post #6771 described his effort IN DETAIL back in May 2014 trying to get 'selectable CCs' on his iPad but the resulting file caused his bandwidth requirements to skyrocket. :eek:
I procrastinated setting up a Plex server for a very long time, thinking it would be pretty involved and take a lot of time. But when I actually got around to it, it was incredibly simple and only took a few minutes. I'd highly recommend it.

As for inserting subtitles that can be turned on or off via Plex/VLC/other player software, I simply download the .srt file from one of the many subtitle websites, such as subscene, and then I use Handbrake to embed the subtitles into the file. I don't have Handbrake on my work computer so I can't detail the specifics, but it's a very simple process to simply point Handbrake to the .srt file and then choose whether the subtitles are burned in or not.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I procrastinated setting up a Plex server for a very long time, thinking it would be pretty involved and take a lot of time. But when I actually got around to it, it was incredibly simple and only took a few minutes. I'd highly recommend it.

As for inserting subtitles that can be turned on or off via Plex/VLC/other player software, I simply download the .srt file from one of the many subtitle websites, such as subscene, and then I use Handbrake to embed the subtitles into the file. I don't have Handbrake on my work computer so I can't detail the specifics, but it's a very simple process to simply point Handbrake to the .srt file and then choose whether the subtitles are burned in or not.
For Plex, VLC you can just name the srt file exactly the same as the video file and put it in the same folder. It will then be selectable in the video player.

ABCD.mp4
ABCD.srt

·
No More TiVo :-(
12,359 Posts
It's been a long time since I last used pyTivo but wanted to check this out. Really nice work!

I've just uploaded a new build that includes two new features....

1) The ability to toggle groups on/off, in case you want to see all of your shows as one big list
2) The ability to download all shows in a group, or all shows from an entire TiVo is grouping is turned off
Is there a way to keep Suggestions in their own group? Right now it looks like they just sort out as individual recordings so it really clutters up the list.

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,554 Posts
Have you had this problem with pyTivo in the past? Or only TiVo Desktop? If you've had this problem with pyTivo then nothing I've done is likely to change that. My changed to the download portion of the code are minor and unlikely to effect something like this. If you've never tried pyTivo before then I'd recommend you give it a try. It might produce different results then TiVo Desktop since they are very different products.
I was strictly using kmttg (TiVo-to-PC) and pyTiVo (PC-to-TiVo).

I installed TiVo Desktop to 'experiment' and see if the transfer times / file sizes were different - it was all new to me at that time and I didn't fully understand the process. A TS file is a TS file, a PS file is a PS file - regardless of the 'Tool' used to create it.

Now, why 3 separate d/l's of the same show to three different HDDs using the same 'Tool' (HTTPS://TiVo IP PS Format) don't match when compared with FC /B is a question that I'm still seeking the answer to...:disappointed:

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,554 Posts
...Now, why 3 separate d/l's of the same show to three different HDDs using the same 'Tool' (HTTPS://TiVo IP PS Format) don't match when compared with FC /B is a question that I'm still seeking the answer to...:disappointed:
TiVo does the encryption/muxing on the fly, and the way TS works there is a timing element to it. So you could download the same show 3 times using the same tool and they could be different.
Does PS also having a timing element?

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #367 ·
Does PS also having a timing element?
No. Program streams are intended for file based content, so they are muxed very differently. Transport streams are intended for broadcast and as such are written in such a way that timing matters, even for file based output. Given the limited hardware capabilities of a TiVo it makes sense that they could have some buffer issues when muxing a TS.

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,554 Posts
Now, why 3 separate d/l's of the same show to three different HDDs using the same 'Tool' (HTTPS://TiVo IP PS Format) don't match when compared with FC /B is a question that I'm still seeking the answer to...:disappointed:
No. Program streams are intended for file based content, so they are muxed very differently. Transport streams are intended for broadcast and as such are written in such a way that timing matters, even for file based output. Given the limited hardware capabilities of a TiVo it makes sense that they could have some buffer issues when muxing a TS.
So then my original question regarding three PS files not matching in a binary compare still stands... :confused:

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·
Is there a way to keep Suggestions in their own group? Right now it looks like they just sort out as individual recordings so it really clutters up the list.
Good suggestion (pun intended) :up:

I don't have suggestions turned on on any of my TiVos so I didn't notice this. But I will add some filtering to the next update that will put them into a folder.

So then my original question regarding three PS files not matching in a binary compare still stands... :confused:
Yeah that's odd if they are PS. Can you compare them in detail and see what changed? Maybe there is a transfer time in the header or something?

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,554 Posts
...Yeah that's odd if they are PS. Can you compare them in detail and see what changed? Maybe there is a transfer time in the header or something?
Could you suggest a good freeware hex display utility?

Back in 'my day' on WFWG 3.11, I believe I used either Debug or Xtree Gold to view files in hex format.

These files are HUGE, so 'old time' utilities, like Notepad for example, that try to buffer the entire file into memory consequently fail.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #373 ·
TS also is better able to get pass transmission errors. In some cases when there is an error in the recording and you try to download as PS the transfer will just stop when it hits the error. TS can usually get past the error and transfer the whole show.

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
TS also is better able to get pass transmission errors. In some cases when there is an error in the recording and you try to download as PS the transfer will just stop when it hits the error. TS can usually get past the error and transfer the whole show.
I knew it was going to be more complicated than that.

My experience (which apparently is not typical) is exactly the opposite, and that's another reason I was leaning towards shifting to ps, but I had read that theoretically what you just said was true and I hoped that was wrong.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #375 ·
New update just posted. Contains two enhancements...

1) Changes download naming convention to be like TiVo Desktop. i.e. "showname - "episode title" (recorded date, channel).tivo"
2) Groups Suggestions into their own folder and adds a green thumbs up before the show name so they are easy to distinguish from regular recordings.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #376 ·
I knew it was going to be more complicated than that.

My experience (which apparently is not typical) is exactly the opposite, and that's another reason I was leaning towards shifting to ps, but I had read that theoretically what you just said was true and I hoped that was wrong.
I've run into recordings that go both ways. Ones that wont transfer as PS and ones that wont transfer as TS. In every case the other option always worked.

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
I've run into recordings that go both ways. Ones that wont transfer as PS and ones that wont transfer as TS. In every case the other option always worked.
So you're not dissuading me from going to ps in all non-mpeg4 cases where I'm willing to forgo best odds at good captions, since if there's download failure due to transmission error I can simply re-download as ts (whereas if there's buffer-induced glitches via ts the download is "successful" and I simply don't know until years later when I play back).

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,554 Posts
Personally, if I understand this correctly, if the transfer from TiVo-to-PC via PS stops when there is an error, I still have the original file on the TiVo unit.

When TS does one of its silent "Aw crap!" transfers, the original file is LONG GONE and I don't discover the problem until weeks / months later.

PS wins!:thumbsup:

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
You guys are correct. If TS fails it could be in the form of a glitch that you don't notice until you play the file. If PS fails it's immediate.
This has been useful. Thanks. You're inside here; maybe these digressive messages should be moved to an appropriate thread (if it exists, I don't remember such a productive discussion) or a new thread created "transport streams vs. program streams" or something, to get them out of the way of your remarkable pyTivo magnum opus.

361 - 380 of 2629 Posts