TiVo Community Forum banner
341 - 360 of 2640 Posts

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
Dan, to report an error message during the installation of v1.5.8 today (did not happen with v1.5.7 previously):
tivomak.exe - System Error

The program can't start because mfc140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
Was accompanied by a blank DOS box, captioned: C:\Program Files (x86)\pyTivo\dshow\tivomak.exe.

Occurred both during an install over the prior version as well as a fresh install.

I simply ignored it, closed the windows, and finished the install. The program version seems to be working as the last version had.

Any issue here/anything I should be doing?

On a Windows 10 system.

·
Super Moderator
55,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 ·
Dan, to report an error message during the installation of v1.5.8 today (did not happen with v1.5.7 previously):

Was accompanied by a blank DOS box, captioned: C:\Program Files (x86)\pyTivo\dshow\tivomak.exe.

Occurred both during an install over the prior version as well as a fresh install.

I simply ignored it, closed the windows, and finished the install. The program version seems to be working as the last version had.

On a Windows 10 system.
Ahh crap. Ok I know what that is. I thought I linked to MFC statically so that wouldn't happen, but I must have forgot to change the setting for the release build. I'll fix it and upload a new build tomorrow or monday.

That program only effects the DirectShow filter, not the rest of the program, so it's safe to keep using.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
Ahh crap. Ok I know what that is. I thought I linked to MFC statically so that wouldn't happen, but I must have forgot to change the setting for the release build. I'll fix it and upload a new build tomorrow or monday.

That program only effects the DirectShow filter, not the rest of the program, so it's safe to keep using.
Always good when it's a simple thing, isn't it? ;)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks, Mikeguy. I got the same thing last night, installing 1.5.8 on a Win10 laptop that I don't use often. But I figured it's probably something with the computer. I realized after installing that the machine in question doesn't even have Java yet. I installed Java (so that I could use kmttg), and the next time I started pyTivo, I didn't get the error. I thought maybe it was Java-related, but I hadn't dug into it yet, or tried it again.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
Is there any way to run this pyTiVo as a service? Like I do with KMTTG. That way I don't need to log in to the PC to run it. So then I can just hit the power button on my TiVo PC when I want to access the video, music, and picture folders. Without having to remotely connect to it and log in.(I run the system headless)

·
Registered
55 Posts
pyTivo uses an internal Bonjour so it doesn't need to be installed on the system.

Try going to the settings and setting the zeroconf setting to On and see if that helps. If it doesn't try Off too just to see.
This didn't make any difference. Still can't see my Tivos in pyTivo, and I can't see the shared folder on my Tivo. Something may be blocking this on my computer. I'm going to try another computer, and also check my network configuration.

·
Super Moderator
55,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #347 ·
Is there any way to run this pyTiVo as a service? Like I do with KMTTG. That way I don't need to log in to the PC to run it. So then I can just hit the power button on my TiVo PC when I want to access the video, music, and picture folders. Without having to remotely connect to it and log in.(I run the system headless)
No, sorry. I tried to package the service as an exe like I do the main pyTivo and it didn't work. I could never figure out why. It would run, but wouldn't announce the shares.

Maybe this would help?

Configure a User Account to Log On Automatically on Windows 7

·
Super Moderator
55,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #348 ·

On a Windows 10 system.
Thanks, Mikeguy. I got the same thing last night, installing 1.5.8 on a Win10 laptop that I don't use often. But I figured it's probably something with the computer. I realized after installing that the machine in question doesn't even have Java yet. I installed Java (so that I could use kmttg), and the next time I started pyTivo, I didn't get the error. I thought maybe it was Java-related, but I hadn't dug into it yet, or tried it again.
OK I've uploaded a build that should fix this issue. Please give it a try and let me know if it works OK.

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
Ah, and so the plot thickens, lol.

And so, does this mean that it would be (better), if possible, to download in PS mode, to avoid possible glitches? Or do PS mode's own issues just "balance things out"? Detriments I've read here of PS mode: downloads take longer than with TS mode (is it appreciable?) and lesser resiliency than TS mode if there are download issues.

I know (if I have this right) that PS mode can't be used with MPEG-4 shows. Do I recall correctly that all OTA shows are MPEG-2, so that there would not be an issue with PS mode and OTA? And so that this may be the way to go with downloading OTA shows--unless detriments of PS mode counsel against it? (And my apologies if I've gotten some of this wrong--lots of balls in the air, and possible memory issues here for someone lesser familiar with these technologies.)
When I first installed kmttg and pyTiVo on my HTPC laptop (Windows shows the directories were created on 02/17/16), I went crazy recording extra movies and shows, knowing that I could now offload them for future viewing. I followed as much advice as I could find and used TS (faster, more reliable). Well, months later when I went to view those movies / shows, over 50% (maybe 66%) had glitches and wouldn't complete a pyTiVo download back to the Roamio for viewing. Pissed me off. I switched to PS.

Well, now I have ~2TB+ of PS offloads (via kmttg and HTTPS://TiVo IP) - I don't remember any errors, but I didn't used to use CC but use it almost 100% of the time now. I also just installed Streambaby (WoW! So much easier than pyTiVo to install and get configured; failed to 'automatically' download the tools, just like kmttg did, but that was easily remedied; Thanks again Kevin! :clapping: :handok: :thumbsup:).

Tangent: Back in early 2016 when this was all new to me (I was coming from a decade of ReplayTV 5XXX, DVArchive, WiRNS, Poopli - boy I wish there was a TiVo Poopli :praying:), I experimented with kmttg, pyTiVo *AND* TiVo Desktop. IIRC, @kelson over on AVS Forum once stated that, compared to my Hauppauge PVR-1212 connected between my FiOS Motorola 7100 STB and my HTPC laptop, TiVo didn't do anything before recording the program streams directly on its HDD (while the PVR-1212 encoded / compressed / transformed / wrapped etc... the data first). That led me to believe that multiple downloads of the SAME show using the same FORMAT (PS vs TS), regardless of the 'tool' (kmttg vs TiVo Desktop vs HTTPS://TiVo IP) would result in INDENTICAL files - NOT TRUE! :disappointed:

Recently I downloaded "Sherlock on Masterpiece_s4e3_The Final Problem" three times using HTTPS://TiVo IP to three different HDDs and then performed a few combinations of "FC /B" on them (A-to-B, A-to-C, B-to-C) - no matches. Why is that? What did I misunderstand?

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
I use VRD and sometimes see the glitches. But that is with the old PyTivo version and kmttg. I had an issue with one recently. I tried the transfers from the TiVo several times with kmttg and used VRD on it with the same glitches. At least with VRD I could still watch it. While if I transferred it back with the .tivo file it would stop transferring midway.

With the one title and using the PyTivo desktop, I didn't have the same issue. And was able to transfer back as a .tivo file. No idea if this is normal, but at least in this one instance PyTivo desktop worked better than the old PyTivo I was using. I am switching now to using PyTivo Desktop full time.

Thanks a million for all your work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
@aaronwt,

This sounds almost *EXACTLY* like what happened to me, except I had over 25 failed files and they failed before reaching midway. :mad:

@Dan203,

Is there something different going on in your PyTiVo Desktop such that I could CONFIDENTLY switch back to the "faster, more reliable, better CCs" TS method of transfer?

[Although it's too much for my (fallback) "PassMark 1201 - Intel Pentium E2200 @ 2.20GHz Vista 32-bit 3GB RAM" desktop to handle Streambaby, I may soon be giving up the 'download-back-to-TiVo-before-viewing' scene and switching over to real-time streaming. On the topic of streaming, today I enabled the kmttg web server and attempted to stream a 0:29:56 3.16GB CBS HD comedy to my Lenovo Android tablet. Although (hate to use the same word again so soon in a paragraph :oops: ) Notwithstanding the almost immediate error generated ("Segment file not being created, assuming ffmpeg error"), kmttg continued for the next 70 minutes and created 178 ~2-3MB TS files (each runs for 10 seconds); I selected 'Transcode & Play' - next time I'll just select 'Transcode' and I'll try to 'Play from cache' later...]

P.S. What is PyTiVo Desktop (93,306KB) written in / with that causes its size to be so much greater than kmttg (4,131KB) or pyTiVo (361KB)?

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
The downloads are threaded so you can download and upload simultaneously. However the more network traffic you have the slower it's all going to be, so keep that in mind.

As for decrypting... if you're just archiving for laster upload to a TiVo there is really no reason to decrypt. And if you do need decrypted files later you can always run tivolibre manually.
A technical question:

I have Windows Resource Monitor (along with Task Manager, Process Explorer and NetPerSec) open 24x7 with the CPU and DISK drop-downs expanded. I just used an old program called FileSync to transfer a few thousand small files from my HDD to a flash drive. The time I checked RM, there were 8 different files being transferred simultaneously under one PID. I'm assuming this means (at least) 8 threads were in use. When multiple files are being written to a target simultaneously, does the OS allocate / lock sufficient contiguous sectors beforehand to accommodate the entire file without fragmentation?

Regarding network traffic when uploading and downloading simultaneously, I just discovered "NIC Teaming". Since both my motherboard NIC and a few Rosewill (from Newegg) Gigabit NICs in my 'spares box' have Realtek chips, I'm going to see if I can team two of them and dedicate one to uploads, the other to downloads (saw this in a post somewhere). I know that my current CPU is maxed out with interrupts just doing 'ordinary' stuff, but I do have a "PassMark 7220 - Intel Core i5-4590 @ 3.30GHz - Win7 Pro 64-bit 16GB RAM" desktop that I'm assembling...

Regarding 'delayed' decrypting, for any Newbies reading this, you can also use kmttg FILES and point to a series of .tivo files onto which you can perform a multitude of processes (same checkboxes at top used when offloading from TiVo-to-PC). :cool:

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
The main reason I use TS even for MPEG2 is because PS tends to garble the CC. If I didn't care about CC, I'd uhh... "acquire" them by other means.

While I would be watching archived stuff by transferring back to a TiVo, I still need to decrypt as I am editing them and, in the case of MPEG2 recordings, encoding them to H.264 in mkv container.
Were you ever a "ReplayTV / Poopli" user?

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
You don't "burn" the captions onto the video. You simply embed them into the video file and they can be turned on or off using the CC function of the player software. It works great for me via Plex. I can't speak to whether it works when you embed the captions into a .tivo file and then transfer that back to the TiVo via pyTiVo or kmttg.
A Plex Server is on my (HUGE) "To Do / Round Tuit" list.

Please provide more details or terms I can GOOGLE to narrow down my SEARCH on how what you're describing works ('selectable' CCs). Thanks! :)

@epstewart, in Post #6771 described his effort IN DETAIL back in May 2014 trying to get 'selectable CCs' on his iPad but the resulting file caused his bandwidth requirements to skyrocket. :eek:

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
Thanks, Dan, and for the reminder of the network traffic consideration--my networking speed is so sucky that best not multi-thread.

And to report, the program just continues chugging along through a list of queued shows to be downloaded to my PC, well-behavedly. :) I had queued up a manageable amount of 18 shows originally, just to see how that would be handled.
You *DO* realize that we're talking 'in-house' LAN traffic, i.e. doesn't involve the router, your ISP or the internet one bit...

If, indeed, your 'in-house' LAN networking speed is 'sucky', please describe your layout so that we can fix it. ;)

·
Super Moderator
55,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 ·
Sorry for the rapid fire updates again, but I've just uploaded a new version. This new version includes a few enhancements, the biggest of which is that there is now a version check feature. From now on your installations will tell you automatically when there is an update available. I also updated the website to include a release notes page so I can maintain links to old versions in case there are problems with an update.

·
Super Moderator
55,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #356 ·
Is there something different going on in your PyTiVo Desktop such that I could CONFIDENTLY switch back to the "faster, more reliable, better CCs" TS method of transfer?
Have you had this problem with pyTivo in the past? Or only TiVo Desktop? If you've had this problem with pyTivo then nothing I've done is likely to change that. My changed to the download portion of the code are minor and unlikely to effect something like this. If you've never tried pyTivo before then I'd recommend you give it a try. It might produce different results then TiVo Desktop since they are very different products.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Is this the software I used a long time ago to copy my thumbs up thumbs down ratings between my TiVos the last time I upgraded to my roamio? I use the thumb ratings to let me know if I've seen something already before which I find to be very useful and I will want to do this again with my new Bolt.

·
It'll be fine....
4,163 Posts
Is this the software I used a long time ago to copy my thumbs up thumbs down ratings between my TiVos the last time I upgraded to my roamio? I use the thumb ratings to let me know if I've seen something already before which I find to be very useful and I will want to do this again with my new Bolt.
That was likely Kmttg - I do not think PyTiVo ever had that functionality, although I could be mistaken

·
Super Moderator
55,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #360 ·
No. Kmttg is the only software can do that.

341 - 360 of 2640 Posts