TiVo Community Forum banner
321 - 340 of 2640 Posts

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,993 Posts
Subtitles are not and never have been supported by TiVo and I wouldn't expect them to be. Both broadcast TV and cable use CC, not subtitles. Remember what a TiVo's primary function is.

Subtitles are on separate tracks while CC are embedded in the video track. When you transfer a recording to a TiVo, those tracks aren't even included.

And it is "a Plex thing" as far as viewing subtitles through a TiVo is concerned. The fact that other players also support subtitles is irrelevant.
It's not a Plex thing. It's simply a standard that video players (including Plex and VLC) have a setting to turn subtitles/CC on or off, and if the .srt file is properly embedded in the video file, then the player has the ability to turn the "words" on and off. As I said, I have no experience trying to play such files on a TiVo, whether through Plex or otherwise. I'm simply stating that you can embed the CC or subtitle information into the video file and you can turn it on or off if you use the proper player app/software. If TiVo doesn't have the proper software, that doesn't mean the CC/subtitle info isn't accessible when the content is "acquired" through other means.

·
Super Moderator
55,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
It's not a Plex thing. It's simply a standard that video players (including Plex and VLC) have a setting to turn subtitles/CC on or off, and if the .srt file is properly embedded in the video file, then the player has the ability to turn the "words" on and off. As I said, I have no experience trying to play such files on a TiVo, whether through Plex or otherwise. I'm simply stating that you can embed the CC or subtitle information into the video file and you can turn it on or off if you use the proper player app/software. If TiVo doesn't have the proper software, that doesn't mean the CC/subtitle info isn't accessible when the content is "acquired" through other means.
SRT captions embedded in an MKV file is not something every player supports. It's pretty ambiguous, but not 100%. 608/708 captions stored in the video stream are used in the broadcasting industry and is supported by everything. So if you can find a program that can convert SRT to 608 and store them in the video stream you'd have much broader compatibility, including the ability to transfer them to a TiVo and have the captions work.

·
Super Moderator
55,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
The only software I know of that can do it is high end stuff meant for the broadcast industry that costs a lot of money. But there is probably is some open source program out there somewhere that does it. It's on my list of things to add to VRD, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
SRT captions embedded in an MKV file is not something every player supports. It's pretty ambiguous, but not 100%. 608/708 captions stored in the video stream are used in the broadcasting industry and is supported by everything. So if you can find a program that can convert SRT to 608 and store them in the video stream you'd have much broader compatibility, including the ability to transfer them to a TiVo and have the captions work.
The only s/w I've found that is capable of doing that is very expensive.

·
Super Moderator
55,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
Yeah all the ones I know of are thousands of dollars because they're intended for the broadcast industry. Seems like the kind of thing the open source community would have latched on to a long time ago. Surprised there isn't something out there that can do it. It's not that complicated to do. There are plenty of programs that can convert SRT to SCC files. You just need to find one that can recombine the SCC with the video stream.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I've used mkvtoolnix to mux an srt file with h264 and h265 video in an mkv container. Usually it's English for foreign bits in tv shows. I set the flag to forced on the srt. However I use Plex to play these, never tried to make one to send directly to the TiVo.

·
Super Moderator
55,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
I've used mkvtoolnix to mux an srt file with h264 and h265 video in an mkv container. Usually it's English for foreign bits in tv shows. I set the flag to forced on the srt. However I use Plex to play these, never tried to make one to send directly to the TiVo.
Those wont work sent directly to the TiVo. TiVo only supports 608/708 captions that are muxed into the user data of the video stream.

·
UHD Addict
23,267 Posts
This windows version is also working great with my pictures and music!!

EDIT: And this metadata text file option when using the decode option is sweet. I just did several test transfers and all the info showed up on the TiVo.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is the first time I have used pyTivo. I want to pull videos on my Tivo from my PC, that I previously downloaded to my PC from the same Tivo. My computer running pyTivo is not showing up in device list on my Tivo. How can I get the Tivo to see my computer? Do I need to install Apple Bonjour? I do not have Tivo Desktop installed, but I have been using kmttg to download videos.

·
Super Moderator
55,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
You need to add a share. The download folder is not added automatically. Go to the shares tab and add a video share pointed to the folder where your .tivo files are stored. After ypu've added it click Save. It can take a minute or two for the shares to show up on the TiVo. If they still don't right click the tray icon and stop pytivo. Give it a few seconds, then start it back up. That should get it going.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hmmm... Not sure what could have happened there. If you can reporduce it let me know and I'll investigate. If not I'll chalk it up to a one time fluke.
Thanks Dan. I checked last night, and this time it only transferred 1 of the 5 shows, vs the 3 it had transferred the first time. Now, the computer hosting the mapped network drive was running slowly, maybe it caused some trouble.

I tried setting it to save to my laptop's local drive, vs the network, to simplify the setup. It said "restarting pyTivo". But when I told it to transfer the 5 shows again, I discovered they were still being saved to the mapped network drive, though the Settings page *did* show that it should be saving to my local drive.

I set the path to the local location again, manually closed pyTivo completely, ran it again, and this time it correctly transferred the 5 shows, saving them to my local drive. Soon I should be able to try transferring a large quantity of shows, to see how that goes.

Is there a log or something that can tell me if any transfers failed? If I tell it to transfer 100 items, and only 98 make it, I'm trying to figure out the best way to detect that. Just telling it to transfer them all again, to be safe, won't work, since it seems to create duplicates called "(2)". I have "Debugging log" enabled, but I'm not sure where that file is stored, or what it contains.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You need to add a share. The download folder is not added automatically. Go to the shares tab and add a video share pointed to the folder where your .tivo files are stored. After ypu've added it click Save. It can take a minute or two for the shares to show up on the TiVo. If they still don't right click the tray icon and stop pytivo. Give it a few seconds, then start it back up. That should get it going.
Sorry, I should have said that I did add a share. I also turned off the firewall on my computer. Also, pyTivo can't find either of my Tivos, under the "Transfer Recordings" tab it says "No Tivos found!". When I click on the Refresh button there is no change. When I use kmttg I enter the IP address of the Tivos. How does pyTivo and my Tivo find each other if I don't enter the IP addresses for them? I though that's what Bonjour was for (which I don't have installed). I'm going to try installing Bonjour and see if that helps.

·
Registered
313 Posts
For what it's worth, I don't think I have Bonjour installed, and pyTivo found both of my TiVos without any hassle, as I recall. I don't have Apple products, or iTunes installed, and I don't see Bonjour listed in Add/Remove Programs.

·
Super Moderator
55,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #339 ·
Sorry, I should have said that I did add a share. I also turned off the firewall on my computer. Also, pyTivo can't find either of my Tivos, under the "Transfer Recordings" tab it says "No Tivos found!". When I click on the Refresh button there is no change. When I use kmttg I enter the IP address of the Tivos. How does pyTivo and my Tivo find each other if I don't enter the IP addresses for them? I though that's what Bonjour was for (which I don't have installed). I'm going to try installing Bonjour and see if that helps.
pyTivo uses an internal Bonjour so it doesn't need to be installed on the system.

Try going to the settings and setting the zeroconf setting to On and see if that helps. If it doesn't try Off too just to see.

·
Super Moderator
55,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 ·
Thanks Dan. I checked last night, and this time it only transferred 1 of the 5 shows, vs the 3 it had transferred the first time. Now, the computer hosting the mapped network drive was running slowly, maybe it caused some trouble.

I tried setting it to save to my laptop's local drive, vs the network, to simplify the setup. It said "restarting pyTivo". But when I told it to transfer the 5 shows again, I discovered they were still being saved to the mapped network drive, though the Settings page *did* show that it should be saving to my local drive.

I set the path to the local location again, manually closed pyTivo completely, ran it again, and this time it correctly transferred the 5 shows, saving them to my local drive. Soon I should be able to try transferring a large quantity of shows, to see how that goes.

Is there a log or something that can tell me if any transfers failed? If I tell it to transfer 100 items, and only 98 make it, I'm trying to figure out the best way to detect that. Just telling it to transfer them all again, to be safe, won't work, since it seems to create duplicates called "(2)". I have "Debugging log" enabled, but I'm not sure where that file is stored, or what it contains.
I've found that pyTivo's restart command can be sort of hit and miss. Sometimes you need to use the "stop" feature and then restart it. That usually fixes it. Although on rare occasions I've seen pyTivo lock up and I have to kill it from the task manager and then restart it. The package I'm distributing has 3 exes. pyTivo, pyTivo Tray and pyTivo Desktop. pyTivo is the server part that controls the transfering. That's the only one you should need to kill. The tray app should realize it's stopped and allow you to restart it.

321 - 340 of 2640 Posts