TiVo Community Forum banner
301 - 320 of 2629 Posts

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
Thanks, Dan. For some reason, in my first use of the program on a folder of 4 shows, only 1 metadata file was created. This may have been a result of my laptop having gone to sleep in the course of the downloads (I'm now using a small utility to keep the laptop live, when using the program) and my re-queueing the shows for download--the downloading of a separate folder without interruption has gone smoothly, with all the metadata files being created.

A question about decrypting (which I've done but am not very familiar with): does the process affect the quality of the underlying video, such that it would be better to transfer back to a TiVo box a .tivo file rather than a decrypted file + metadata file? Any other differences between the 2 alternatives?
There are reports that the decryption process can introduce small glitches into the video that are not there when playing the original .tivo file. But I'm not sure how frequent they are. I personally always just download as .tio and then edit in VideoReDo, which uses a different method for decryption and doesn't seem to cause the same glitches.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
Dan, the download link on the pyTivo Desktop page doesn't appear to be working. I'm trying to download the latest version. Also thanks to you for a great job!
The Windows Download link at the pytivodesktop website isn't active?
Confirmed, not active at present.
Sorry guys. I disabled it for a few minutes to make some changes and forgot to turn it back on. That's what I get for doing it at 2am

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Dan, I installed 1.5.7 last night. Thank you for the transfer-folder and transfer-all buttons, those make bulk transfers much easier to start!

I don't have much history with 1.5.5 to compare with, but I recall the 1.5.5 transfer queue showing things correctly. Last night I uninstalled 1.5.5 and installed 1.5.7.

With 1.5.7, I told it to transfer a folder of 5 shows. The queue number in the corner originally showed "5". Then when I clicked on it to view the list, it showed nothing, or maybe 1 item. Tried again, showed nothing. Tried again, then it showed 1 item, and the queue # in the corner changed from 5 to 1 at one point. Then back to 5, but the actual list wasn't showing 5 items.

I let it run overnight, I'm pretty sure I didn't manually try to cancel any transfers. But this morning there were 3 shows in the folder, not 5. I have it running again at the moment, transferring those 5 again, to see how it does this time, I'll check tonight when I get home.

This may just be something with my computer, but it seemed worth mentioning.
Hmmm... Not sure what could have happened there. If you can reporduce it let me know and I'll investigate. If not I'll chalk it up to a one time fluke.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
There are reports that the decryption process can introduce small glitches into the video that are not there when playing the original .tivo file. But I'm not sure how frequent they are. I personally always just download as .tio and then edit in VideoReDo, which uses a different method for decryption and doesn't seem to cause the same glitches.
The glitches, if any, are there on the .tivo file if you download in TS mode. They're almost certainly created by the TiVo when it transmits the file and is possibly some kind of weird timing issue as the glitch usually moves if you redo the download. VRD handles them better than tivolibre, at least IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
The glitches, if any, are there on the .tivo file if you download in TS mode. They're almost certainly created by the TiVo when it transmits the file and is possibly some kind of weird timing issue as the glitch usually moves if you redo the download. VRD handles them better than tivolibre, at least IMHO.
That must be why I don't notice them. I've always used VRD to decrypt/edit.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Thanks, Dan, that's helpful. And so decrypting is more than just an "unlock" of the file.

I guess, then, if one principally is looking to download shows from a TiVo box for later transfer to another and/or for archiving purposes, the best practice would be not to decrypt (and then decrypt a copy from the download later if one wants enhanced access to the recording on a PC).

One question just occurred to me, as I'm experimenting some: can the program be used to both download and upload simultaneously, or can multiple instances of the program be run to do so? (I'd try it right now, but have a long queue of shows being downloaded and don't want to do something to mess with that.)

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
I use VRD for most everything except the download and the glitches are still there. When I first encountered the problem, I tried tivolibre for decryption and it was worse.

Edit: I also used VRD to directly edit the .tivo file and the glitch(es) were there.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Ah, and so the plot thickens, lol.

And so, does this mean that it would be (better), if possible, to download in PS mode, to avoid possible glitches? Or do PS mode's own issues just "balance things out"? Detriments I've read here of PS mode: downloads take longer than with TS mode (is it appreciable?) and lesser resiliency than TS mode if there are download issues.

I know (if I have this right) that PS mode can't be used with MPEG-4 shows. Do I recall correctly that all OTA shows are MPEG-2, so that there would not be an issue with PS mode and OTA? And so that this may be the way to go with downloading OTA shows--unless detriments of PS mode counsel against it? (And my apologies if I've gotten some of this wrong--lots of balls in the air, and possible memory issues here for someone lesser familiar with these technologies.)

·
UHD Addict
24,271 Posts
I use VRD and sometimes see the glitches. But that is with the old PyTivo version and kmttg. I had an issue with one recently. I tried the transfers from the TiVo several times with kmttg and used VRD on it with the same glitches. At least with VRD I could still watch it. While if I transferred it back with the .tivo file it would stop transferring midway.

With the one title and using the PyTivo desktop, I didn't have the same issue. And was able to transfer back as a .tivo file. No idea if this is normal, but at least in this one instance PyTivo desktop worked better than the old PyTivo I was using. I am switching now to using PyTivo Desktop full time.

Thanks a million for all your work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
Thanks, Dan, that's helpful. And so decrypting is more than just an "unlock" of the file.

I guess, then, if one principally is looking to download shows from a TiVo box for later transfer to another and/or for archiving purposes, the best practice would be not to decrypt (and then decrypt a copy from the download later if one wants enhanced access to the recording on a PC).

One question just occurred to me, as I'm experimenting some: can the program be used to both download and upload simultaneously, or can multiple instances of the program be run to do so? (I'd try it right now, but have a long queue of shows being downloaded and don't want to do something to mess with that.)
The downloads are threaded so you can download and upload simultaneously. However the more network traffic you have the slower it's all going to be, so keep that in mind.

As for decrypting... if you're just archiving for laster upload to a TiVo there is really no reason to decrypt. And if you do need decrypted files later you can always run tivolibre manually.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
The main reason I use TS even for MPEG2 is because PS tends to garble the CC. If I didn't care about CC, I'd uhh... "acquire" them by other means.

While I would be watching archived stuff by transferring back to a TiVo, I still need to decrypt as I am editing them and, in the case of MPEG2 recordings, encoding them to H.264 in mkv container.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
The main reason I use TS even for MPEG2 is because PS tends to garble the CC. If I didn't care about CC, I'd uhh... "acquire" them by other means.
You can "acquire" content by other means and then add the CC file manually. There are many sites out there with the CC files and adding them to the video file is pretty simple in Handbrake.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
You can "acquire" content by other means and then add the CC file manually. There are many sites out there with the CC files and adding them to the video file is pretty simple in Handbrake.
You cannot actually add CC manually, at least not by any viable method I know about and I have looked. You can take an srt file and "burn" the captions onto the video, but that is not the same thing, and is a major PITA. There is also a way to have ffmpeg do it during the pyTivo transfer but that has some problems also.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
You cannot actually add CC manually, at least not by any viable method I know about and I have looked. You can take an srt file and "burn" the captions onto the video, but that is not the same thing, and is a major PITA. There is also a way to have ffmpeg do it during the pyTivo transfer but that has some problems also.
You don't "burn" the captions onto the video. You simply embed them into the video file and they can be turned on or off using the CC function of the player software. It works great for me via Plex. I can't speak to whether it works when you embed the captions into a .tivo file and then transfer that back to the TiVo via pyTiVo or kmttg.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
You don't "burn" the captions onto the video. You simply embed them into the video file and they can be turned on or off using the CC function of the player software. It works great for me via Plex. I can't speak to whether it works when you embed the captions into a .tivo file and then transfer that back to the TiVo via pyTiVo or kmttg.
I'm willing to bet that those are subtitles which are manifestly not the same as CC and it is Plex that is handling them. The TiVo has no support for subtitles, only CC.

kmttg cannot not transfer back to the TiVo.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Ah, I had forgotten about the CC issue with PS. Adding that to the list of PS/TS pro's and con's, if one wants to keep matters simple, it's going back to sounding like TS downloading is the way to go, absent (hopefully) glitches as an issue.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
The downloads are threaded so you can download and upload simultaneously. However the more network traffic you have the slower it's all going to be, so keep that in mind.

As for decrypting... if you're just archiving for laster upload to a TiVo there is really no reason to decrypt. And if you do need decrypted files later you can always run tivolibre manually.
Thanks, Dan, and for the reminder of the network traffic consideration--my networking speed is so sucky that best not multi-thread.

And to report, the program just continues chugging along through a list of queued shows to be downloaded to my PC, well-behavedly. :) I had queued up a manageable amount of 18 shows originally, just to see how that would be handled.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
I'm willing to bet that those are subtitles which are manifestly not the same as CC and it is Plex that is handling them. The TiVo has no support for subtitles, only CC.

kmttg cannot not transfer back to the TiVo.
Yes, they are subtitles rather than CC, but you can get .srt files that have just the dialogue or .srt files that have all the CC for hearing impaired info. And it's not a Plex thing, because if I embed the .srt file into the video file, then you can view them with other players such as VLC and turn the subtitles on/off.

As I said, I've never tried transferring a video file with embedded .srt info to a TiVo because with Plex, there is no need to do that. But if the TiVo doesn't handle it properly, that's an issue with the TiVo software, not with the video file.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Yes, they are subtitles rather than CC, but you can get .srt files that have just the dialogue or .srt files that have all the CC for hearing impaired info. And it's not a Plex thing, because if I embed the .srt file into the video file, then you can view them with other players such as VLC and turn the subtitles on/off.

As I said, I've never tried transferring a video file with embedded .srt info to a TiVo because with Plex, there is no need to do that. But if the TiVo doesn't handle it properly, that's an issue with the TiVo software, not with the video file.
Subtitles are not and never have been supported by TiVo and I wouldn't expect them to be. Both broadcast TV and cable use CC, not subtitles. Remember what a TiVo's primary function is.

Subtitles are on separate tracks while CC are embedded in the video track. When you transfer a recording to a TiVo, those tracks aren't even included.

And it is "a Plex thing" as far as viewing subtitles through a TiVo is concerned. The fact that other players also support subtitles is irrelevant.

301 - 320 of 2629 Posts