TiVo Community Forum banner
2621 - 2640 of 2640 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
It has something to do with this: Private Network Access update: Introducing a deprecation trial - Chrome Developers
That means Edge is down with the same message. Based on the info, most if not all browsers will tighten up, preventing online.tivo.com from working the way it's designed. Rather than fix the problem at Tivo, which they could, they just decided to dump the PC interface for streaming.
You can overide this restriction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It worked really well... For the novice it might be confusing because there is no installation notification. No obvious way to determine the next step - you have to go to the tray, find the pytivo icon and right click on it for options.

It would be nice if the dialog to choose a file directory were presented to the user immediately following install.

That said: It was quick and sweet... I didn't have to install and configure, I didn't have to setup pytivo as a service....

Really nice job!
Hi,
I have an old Direct TV Tivo Premier, I tried to set it up but It won't work. I was told that once you take it off of the Direct TV, something happens to the hard drive and it becomes unusable? Is that true? Can I get around it? Do I have to install a new Hard Drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I wanted to use it to share the movies on my Tivo Premier in another room.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Norma

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can overide this restriction.

Tried this. The chrome instructions are not clear. Chrome also updated recently, maybe today. When I try to stream a show using online.tivo.com web site after adding *.tivo.com to the exceptions, instead of a permanent twirling blue circle, I get this new message after a few moments:

Problem Playing Show
We are unable to detect your TiVo streaming device from this location. If you are currently away from home, streaming video is not supported at this time.

This may, or maynot be the same problem as before, it's just timing out quicker. Also note that if I repeat the process of attempting to play a recording, sooner or later it used to playback. I haven't tried much today, but if it still plays eventually, then it's a web coding bug, not a restriction.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Using my TiVo for the first time in 2 years, I had forgotten how much nicer it is than anything I've seen from the cable companies. I think it's a Bolt VOX (?), can't check right now. Has a Comcast Cablecard in it.

Thought I would take a shot at downloading recordings using pyTivo, which I also haven't done in a couple of years. Updated pyTivo and pyTivo Desktop and it seemed to be working. Listed a whole bunch of shows that looked correct, I started one (1hr show, 1.83 GB) and it was downloading at about 6Mb/s. Hit 305.00 MB and dropped to 0.01 Mb/s but in fact I do't think the 305.00 MB has changed in 10 minutes.

Is there something I'm overlooking? Is this just a fault of the TiVo? Should I kill the transfer and try again? I paid no attention to settings other than to update the apps and run them.

Thanks.
Did you determine the cause of this slowdown issue? Reason for inquiry: I've installed pyTivo and pyTivo desktop on a "server" (Plex) machine and am using it to pull recordings from my TiVos. The first transfer starts off OK, then slows down if there's an error. I've cut the number of retries down to 2 and unchecked the "Reduce speed on retry" box, yet I can't seem to get more than 2 or 3 successful transfers before the speed slows to 1Mb/s or less. I'd like to be able to queue up all of the recordings in one shot but that isn't working.

So far the only fix I've found is to kill and restart the pyTivo processes. I'm pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to work, yet finding the correct configuration remains elusive.

My apologies if this topic was discussed upthread. I haven't figured out how to start a search within a particular thread with the new forum software.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,820 Posts
Did you determine the cause of this slowdown issue? Reason for inquiry: I've installed pyTivo and pyTivo desktop on a "server" (Plex) machine and am using it to pull recordings from my TiVos. The first transfer starts off OK, then slows down if there's an error. I've cut the number of retries down to 2 and unchecked the "Reduce speed on retry" box, yet I can't seem to get more than 2 or 3 successful transfers before the speed slows to 1Mb/s or less. I'd like to be able to queue up all of the recordings in one shot but that isn't working.

So far the only fix I've found is to kill and restart the pyTivo processes. I'm pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to work, yet finding the correct configuration remains elusive.

My apologies if this topic was discussed upthread. I haven't figured out how to start a search within a particular thread with the new forum software.
It would seem you are using TS downloads on PyTivo Desktop. That would be expected when it encounters errors and throttles down the speed until it gets to as error free as possible.You can avoid this by using PS downloads, but only if they are not MPEG4 recordings.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It would seem you are using TS downloads on PyTivo Desktop. That would be expected when it encounters errors and throttles down the speed until it gets to as error free as possible. You can avoid this by using PS downloads, but only if they are not MPEG4 recordings.
If it throttles to zero because of errors, is there some way to reduce the number of errors? Other than switching to PS, and I have no idea if they're MPEG4 recordings.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello people that are smarter than me regarding TiVo,
Does anyone know if PyTivo will allow me to use my synology drives to create more storage for my TiVo? I am looking for the ability to access and watch shows that could not fit on my TiVo. I would want to watch them on my TV from that TiVo that would not have otherwise had the storage available.
My setup is as follows:
TiVo Roamio 2TB
Synology with 4TB
PC windows 11
TiVo streaming device (although I think this is so I can stream while out of the house)
All equipment is hardlined on a 1GB lan.
Thank you for your inputs.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,820 Posts
Tivo will not use your NAS as an extension of storage. You can use it for long term storage of your shows. Have the .Tivo files decrypted in PyTivo or better yet, use KMTTG, which does more. The end file would be either a .MPG or .TS, depending on the download method (PS or TS) 4. You can also edit the shows with VideoRedo and remove commercials and any other content. KMTTG can also encode to MPEG4 to save space.

You can then transfer show back to Tivo (unless the Tivo is running TE4/Hydra, feature removed), when you want to watch.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Is there a way to give pyTivo/pyTivo Desktop a list of shows to download, or is the only way to have pyTivo download a show is by going through and clicking on the download button for the show? I'm hoping that there is a way to programmatically (or through a command line execution, or by a list of shows in a text file) specify a TiVo and something to identify the recording to download? I can't seem to find a list of pyTivo command line options anywhere (except for a reference to -c), or any other way to interface with pyTivo (other than clicking on a web page or dialog box interface).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Is there a way to give pyTivo/pyTivo Desktop a list of shows to download, or is the only way to have pyTivo download a show is by going through and clicking on the download button for the show?
Tivo abandoned us, barely leaving us One at a time downloads on the older UI only.

If you download a lot, you might want to check out this thread: https://www.tivocommunity.com/threads/channels-dvr.584214/ I recently set this up and adding shows to the DVR is as simple as copying them into a directory. I'm running ChannelsDVR in parallel with my Tivo right now, but no longer downloading to the Tivo.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Contemplating switch from old pytivo to pytivo desktop.

Installed pytivo desktop but can't find the pytivo.conf file anywhere on my computer. I want to edit my shares like I can with the old pytivo. Where is the conf file on Win 11?
On Windows 10, I found the pyTivo.conf file at:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\pyTivo
Not sure if it is in the same location on Windows 11 - if it is not there, you should be able to search for it using these commands in a cmd window:
cd /d c:\
dir /s pyTivo.conf
(If your boot drive or the drive your user directory is on isn't C, use the drive letter it is on)
It might take a while to run (if you have lots of files on the drive), so have some patience!

·
Registered
106 Posts
On Win10 using the old pytivo, there is a pytivo.conf in ...\appdata\roaming\pytivo, but it isn't the one that pytivo is using. The pytivo.conf being used lives in the same directory where I've installed pytivo.

On Win11 using pyTivo Desktop, it does appear in appdata. Don't know why I didn't find it before when I searched, but thanks for the reminder.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,820 Posts
With PyTivo Desktop, there is a "PyTivo.exe" you execute.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just installed PyTivo Desktop on a Win10 system last night and was very happy to see it picked up my TiVo Roamio (6 tuner, 3 TB) right away. The weird thing is it’s only showing my recordings for shows October 22 or newer. I can’t figure out why, and apologies, but with a 132 page thread, it was too much to sift through (gave it a valiant effort, though).

Ironically, my Tivo Desktop classic just stopped working, which is what prompted me to run PyTivo, but all I found was an empty folder in the Start menu. It’s possible I uninstalled it, but don’t remember ever having done that. That said, my Windows has been getting weirder and weirder with each update recently.

So, that’s how I discovered the PyTivo Desktop, and wow! Very nice and clean, and props to the developer. Meanwhile - I just have to get it to see recording on my TiVo newer than the last 16 days.

I’m thinking of trying Py~Desktop on my Mac, but my current share is all on my home brew Windows machine (more native storage)

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,820 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought that was the case years ago, right? Mine worked anyway, up until last night. my only reason for mentioning it was that it might offer a clue to someone more knowledgeable than I about what is broken. I think you misunderstood the intent of my post, so maybe I wasn’t clear about what I was asking.

Ok - editing to say everything is moving along. After about 4 PC reboots and a TiVo reboot, the desktop is showing all of my PC’s share folder (& sub folders). The TiVo, interestingly, permanently deleted all of the shows in the Deleted Folder (about 20), and all but 4 of the shows in the suggestions folder (about 60), and storage utilization reported is 2% lower.

Meanwhile, the PC’s behavior re: PyTivo Desktop has some very tolerable anomalies. One of them is some TiVo files will play audio only in WMP most of the time. The old Windows 10 default player is gone and in its place is Windows Movies (or something like that), which only plays the MP4’s, and VLC is tentative. I'm not too concerned as I don’t sit at my desk and watch movies, but it’s a convenience factor to have another window open when I’m editing.

2621 - 2640 of 2640 Posts