TiVo Community Forum banner
2601 - 2620 of 2629 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Any way to get PyTivo or even a simple web interface to work on Android? It would be so much easier if I can just copy the videos to my Tivo without have to transfer them off the phone to the PC? I'm going to guess no but figure can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Using my TiVo for the first time in 2 years, I had forgotten how much nicer it is than anything I've seen from the cable companies. I think it's a Bolt VOX (?), can't check right now. Has a Comcast Cablecard in it.

Thought I would take a shot at downloading recordings using pyTivo, which I also haven't done in a couple of years. Updated pyTivo and pyTivo Desktop and it seemed to be working. Listed a whole bunch of shows that looked correct, I started one (1hr show, 1.83 GB) and it was downloading at about 6Mb/s. Hit 305.00 MB and dropped to 0.01 Mb/s but in fact I do't think the 305.00 MB has changed in 10 minutes.

Is there something I'm overlooking? Is this just a fault of the TiVo? Should I kill the transfer and try again? I paid no attention to settings other than to update the apps and run them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I really love pyTivo. I have been using it for many, many years running under Debian Linux. I know it is a little archaic, but it suits my needs fairly well. Two things, however:

1. The code is written in Python 2, which is no longer supported. I know there have been a couple of attempts at converting to Python 3, but I haven't been able to find any information on which is the most comprehensive, if there is such a thing. Can anyone comment on which is the "best" Python 3 port of pyTivo? Dan? Have you, or could you port to Python 3?

2. The Music app is broken on my Premiere units. It works fine on my Series III units. Does anyone have a fix for this? Can anyone provide any guidance for how it might be fixed? I am somewhat familiar with Python. If someone could possibly point me in the right direction, I might be willing to take a go at it. The share shows up, and I can browse the contents, but when I try to play a song, I get an error.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FYI - pyTivo will become more important than ever soon. I was informed by Tivo Support that they will no longer support watching recorded programs using Tivo-Online. I had to install pyTivo to download the programs to my Win 10 machine (with decoding enabled) and watch using VLC player. Programs wouldn't play well with Media Player, or Windows Movie & TV Player. Either very choppy, or audio was out of sync. Only VLC would play it correctly.

Tivo Support said "they're taking playback away from their online site due to issues". I believe it's due to new ownership. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see this forum disappear as well.

Remember - there's the wayback site...it will let you still see the forum content, even if they take the site down: Wayback Machine

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,597 Posts
VideoReDo can fix the out of sync issue.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
7 Posts
VideoReDo can fix the out of sync issue.
VLC played fine. I'm not really looking to store recorded content for long - watch and delete. I've already recorded 4TB of movies I don't watch...not much point. Between TIVO and Youtube TV, I'm 98% covered. 2%=Disney (wife) + NetFlix (daughter) + Amazon (because it's included). I don't have cable into my Bolt, nor will I ever simply because they charge way to much. OTA all the way. 1GB Fiber Internet @$59/month plays it all on every device with no lag (city of Longmont CO fiber Internet). TIVO just deals with the OTA so I have something if the Internet goes down from a Russian cyber attack that takes the Internet down for days.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,602 Posts
FYI - pyTivo will become more important than ever soon. I was informed by Tivo Support that they will no longer support watching recorded programs using Tivo-Online.
That is really sad. And yet another reason to switch to Channels DVR, Plex, Emby, etc. I use Channels DVR with HD HomeRun tuners for cable and OTA. All recordings are MP4 files for me to watch and copy as I wish.

I believe it's due to new ownership. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see this forum disappear as well.

Remember - there's the wayback site...it will let you still see the forum content, even if they take the site down: Wayback Machine
Thanks for the Wayback reminder, but as already noted you needn't worry about this forum. In fact it has new ownership that recently upgraded the site ...which is certainly not what the current owners of TiVo have been doing with their DVR business.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No matter what I do, the pyTivo desktop software (and pyTivo service) cannot find my Tivo anymore.

It is on the network, there are no issues -- my PC suddenly just "lost" the TV after months and months of working without issue. I toggle between all the zeroconfig options and restart the service, restart the PC, restart the Tivo, restart my router -- completely uninstall pyTivo desktop and reinstall, restart everything again..... nothing works without any rhyme or reason I can dientify.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,612 ·
No matter what I do, the pyTivo desktop software (and pyTivo service) cannot find my Tivo anymore.

It is on the network, there are no issues -- my PC suddenly just "lost" the TV after months and months of working without issue. I toggle between all the zeroconfig options and restart the service, restart the PC, restart the Tivo, restart my router -- completely uninstall pyTivo desktop and reinstall, restart everything again..... nothing works without any rhyme or reason I can dientify.

Any ideas?
I'm not sure if you’re the same person I talked to via email, but I recently had a conversation with someone about this exact issue via email. According to them a recent software update disabled, or maybe just broke, discovery broadcasts when using the internal wifi of the TiVo.

The only TiVos I have left are old and haven’t got a software update in years, and both are hardwired anyway, so I cannot confirm this. But if you are using an Edge connected via internal wifi then it might be the cause of the problem. If that’s the case your only solution might be to switch to Moca or an external wifi bridge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Windows Firewall permissions?
No it's not a Firewall issue, I've turned on every permission I can think of. Again, no changes were made to my PC or to my Tivo, it just "stopped."

Windows 11 ? (Protecting you from yourself!)
Nope, still running Windows 10.
I'm not sure if you’re the same person I talked to via email, but I recently had a conversation with someone about this exact issue via email. According to them a recent software update disabled, or maybe just broke, discovery broadcasts when using the internal wifi of the TiVo.

The only TiVos I have left are old and haven’t got a software update in years, and both are hardwired anyway, so I cannot confirm this. But if you are using an Edge connected via internal wifi then it might be the cause of the problem. If that’s the case your only solution might be to switch to Moca or an external wifi bridge.
I've got a Bolt connected over WiFi. Does that have the same hardware for its connective services as an Edge?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a Bolt with software version 21.11.1.v9 and pytivo desktop works fine.
I have had the "no tivos found" when I made the mistake of clicking on the pyTivo Desktop shortcut instead of the pyTivo shortcut when starting the program.
You should have two shortcuts in your start menu and you want to click on pyTivo to start the program then once pyTivo is running you open pyTivo Desktop either with start menu shortcut or right-click on pyTivo icon in taskbar.

So make sure you are clicking on pyTivo when starting the program and not the pyTivo Desktop shortcut.

Font Circle Rectangle Technology Sky

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,615 ·
I've got a Bolt connected over WiFi. Does that have the same hardware for its connective services as an Edge?
It's possible this issue applied to the Bolt. I haven't personally verified it, just going off what a user told me.

If you have a long Ethernet cable lying around it might be worth stringing it across the room temporarily just to see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FYI - pyTivo will become more important than ever soon. I was informed by Tivo Support that they will no longer support watching recorded programs using Tivo-Online.
Today was the day - I tried to stream a program to my PC on Chrome, and got a box that says "As of May 2022, you will no longer be able to stream from your box on Chrome"

I have a Bolt with lifetime support. I wonder if they'll refund my support fees...my wife works at a law firm...maybe I should ask her to ask them if I'm entitled to a refund...or if they want to pursue a juicy class-action against Tivo...PITA. I'll just download and watch from the PC. It's not like they didn't have time to produce a PC-based product, or better yet, dump that dumb online thing, and move it all to the local TIVO...it would support it.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Vudu now has a limitation on the stream quality depending on which browser is being used. I'm not really sure what the difference is between Chrome and Edge, though.

Vudu supports a variety of browsers on both Mac and PC. You can watch in up to HDX on Safari and Windows Edge browsers, and SD playback on Chrome and Firefox.

Please note that Internet Explorer 11 is no longer supported. On a Windows based PC, Windows Edge will give you access up to HDX quality.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The message seems unnecessarily specific to Chrome if they’re discontinuing TiVo Online streaming.

Have you checked other browsers? Other programs have similar restrictions owing to security//DRM concerns.
It has something to do with this: Private Network Access update: Introducing a deprecation trial - Chrome Developers
That means Edge is down with the same message. Based on the info, most if not all browsers will tighten up, preventing online.tivo.com from working the way it's designed. Rather than fix the problem at Tivo, which they could, they just decided to dump the PC interface for streaming.

2601 - 2620 of 2629 Posts