TiVo Community Forum banner
241 - 260 of 2640 Posts

·
Super Moderator
55,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Just be aware that sometimes queued-up copies from one TiVo to another fail without any notification (speaking from experience).

When I did my most recent bulk copying from one TiVo to another, I did them in batches of about 10 recordings at a time, and then used kmttg pointed at each TiVo to compare the file size and duration of each recording on the source and destination TiVo.
That seems to be less of an issue with newer TiVos. I just transferred hundreds of recordings from my Roamio Pro to my Bolt+ using the feature on online.tivo.com and all of them came through just fine.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Not really. In fact since you're going to have to pull them one by one anyway you might be better off just waiting for the new TiVo to arrive and doing a direct TiVo to TiVo transfer instead. Those transfers are a bit faster because they don't require the same encryption to be applied as when transferring to a PC. They also retain more of the original metadata then going to the PC first.
Interesting, thanks. I was thinking to transfer the recordings before the Bolt arrives, because the process might take quite a long time. With USB->Ethernet adapters, my slower Series2 transfers to the PC at around 3Mbps, the faster one is roughly 5Mbps, it seems. And the unit will remain active for 10 days after setting up the Bolt, so I have something of a time limit to work within.

So I figured I'd get started now, to at least have the recordings available on the PC, then later I could work out transferring them to the Bolt.

·
Super Moderator
55,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
That's probably a good idea. I forgot that those S2 units were so slow.

How many recordings do you have on the S2? Are you sure they're all things you want to keep? Once you switch over to HD you may find it hard to watch those old SD recordings. Once you get the Bolt you may want to look for alternate airings of these shows rather then transferring the old SD versions from your S2.

One more possibility... the Bolt supports Plex. If you decrypt the transfers from your TiVo then you could organize them into Plex folders and simply stream them from the PC as needed, rather then transferring them back over.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
hmm... I'm running into issues. Transfers form the TiVo seem to work fine, but I set up a folder for TiVo recordings, music, and pictures but nothing is showing up on any f my boxes. With the old pyTiVo, I start it and a few seconds later I can see the folders on my TiVos. Does it take some time to show up or something?

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
I restarted it a third time and this time the video folder showed up.

EDIT: But I can't transfer it to the TiVo. I see the folder and the shows on the TiVo., And it says it will transfer after whatever, but I don;t see where it's transferring.

It's working great using the PC and transferring from the TiVo to the PC.

EDIT: I see a show eventually transferred but it was several minutes after I initiated it.

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
I restarted it a third time and this time the video folder showed up.

EDIT: But I can't transfer it to teh TiVo. I see the folder and the show son teh TiVo., And it says it will transfer after whatever, but I don;t see where it's transferring.

It's working great using the PC and transferring from the TiVo to the PC.
Do you have ffmpeg.exe, either in the pytivo\bin folder or have pointed pyTivo to it?

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
It did eventually transfer content to the TiVo. But it was inconsistent when it did. And sometimes delayed for some reason. I shut off my PC that was running it last night and will try again tonight.

Assuming I don't have any more FiOS Cable Card issues tonight. The tech on the phone last night screwed up my cable card and I have to pick up a new one today. The previous night I had a tech that knew what they were doing, so the first cable card transferred without any major issues.

·
Registered
313 Posts
That's probably a good idea. I forgot that those S2 units were so slow.

How many recordings do you have on the S2? Are you sure they're all things you want to keep? Once you switch over to HD you may find it hard to watch those old SD recordings. Once you get the Bolt you may want to look for alternate airings of these shows rather then transferring the old SD versions from your S2.

One more possibility... the Bolt supports Plex. If you decrypt the transfers from your TiVo then you could organize them into Plex folders and simply stream them from the PC as needed, rather then transferring them back over.
There are 300+ recordings saved to keep until I delete. Are they all needed? No, probably not, but many are shows my wife watches, so I don't get to simply decide what gets deleted, there is a committee involved :) Transferring them is the simplest approach to a smooth transition, at least for now.

Good info on Plex, thank you. And even without that, it seems like maybe I could share them from the PC, allowing streaming them that way. My preference would be to just copy them to the Bolt, so I don't have to keep a share running, but that's definitely an option, and it's also simpler to manage at the moment.

I have started trying kmttg, it appeared to easily allow selecting a bunch of recordings to queue for transfer to the PC, which is a useful place to start.

·
TIVO user
31 Posts
There are 300+ recordings saved to keep until I delete. Are they all needed? No, probably not, but many are shows my wife watches, so I don't get to simply decide what gets deleted, there is a committee involved :) Transferring them is the simplest approach to a smooth transition, at least for now.

Good info on Plex, thank you. And even without that, it seems like maybe I could share them from the PC, allowing streaming them that way. My preference would be to just copy them to the Bolt, so I don't have to keep a share running, but that's definitely an option, and it's also simpler to manage at the moment.

I have started trying kmttg, it appeared to easily allow selecting a bunch of recordings to queue for transfer to the PC, which is a useful place to start.
Something else I saw someone (don't remember who or what thread) suggest in a similar situation was to set the old S2's ( or whatever DVR's) on whichever TV that would be convenient on a different video input leaving all the programs archived on them, plug in power ( if you don't want to leave on all the time) and switch inputs whenever she wants to watch something.

·
Super Moderator
55,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
That would make sense, but in fact, the opposite is true, in my experience.
Really? It's been a long time since I tested this, so things may have changed, but I remember there was a time when TTG transfers lost certain data like the episode numbers, actors, guest stars, etc... while MRV transfers retained them.

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
Really? It's been a long time since I tested this, so things may have changed, but I remember there was a time when TTG transfers lost certain data like the episode numbers, actors, guest stars, etc... while MRV transfers retained them.
It was true for pushes, but even that was mostly fixed, at least in the HDUI, especially if you added [<programId>] to the beginning of the description.

It was never really true for pulls when using the SDUI and fixed for the HDUI after programId was added to the pyTivo metadata.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,015 Posts

Another benefit of just keeping the shows on the PC and allowing them to be streamed via Plex or pulled via pyTiVo/kmttg whenever someone wants to watch is you don't need to have nearly as much storage space on the TiVo itself. You mentioned that you have upgraded storage in your current S2s and 300+ programs saved as KUID. That space can be recovered by simply keeping that stuff on the PC.

·
Super Moderator
55,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 · (Edited)
I have layers, upon layers, of backup. I use an offsite backup for all my important files. I also back up the same file to a local NAS. I then do a complete image of my main drive every night which is stored on a secondary drive which is actually a RAID array. I also back up the images once a week to the NAS. Storage is cheap. Losing files can be devastating and even if they're replaceable the amount of time spent restoring them can cost more then the drives.

·
Super Moderator
55,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 · (Edited)
FYI I've uploaded all my pyTivo changes to github...

GitHub - Dan203/pytivo: This is a custom fork of pyTivo that is used for pyTivo Desktop.

The majority of them have to do with "freezing" the app into an exe, but there are other minor changes and some enhancements to the settings and togo plugins that I needed for my UI. I also included my little tray app and the spec files I use to compile the python code into the exe using pyinstaller. I did not upload the UI portion of the app yet though. I'm still not sure if I'm going to do that. The way it's done is sort of complex. It's using a framework called Angular which compiles into a nice set of html/js files, but the actual project itself is made up of hundreds of html, json, css and typscript files along with dependencies on 3rd party modules I downloaded via npm. I'm not even sure which portions of that I would upload or how to explain to someone how to build it.

241 - 260 of 2640 Posts