TiVo Community Forum banner
2561 - 2580 of 2640 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
The Edge can stream from a Roamio IF it was recorded with the Roamio, or other Tivo. If it is a show recorded from a TV tuner in a PC, or a ripped DVD, home video, etc., it will not play on the Edge, but it will (usually) play on the Roamio. If you transfer one of these files from Roamio to Edge via the online tool it will not play. The file will transfer, but not play. I can transfer recordings made on an S3 to the Roamio manually, (not with the online tool) then stream using the Edge.

This is based on my Roamio OTA running TE3 and an Edge w/TE4.

I just use Plex for the rare times I want to watch these types of shows. In my case, I was new to Tivo when I bought my Edge, then another the next year. I had heard about Roamios after buying the Edges, but was concerned my antenna setup would not support 4 tuners.

Ended up getting a Roamio OTA lifetime for a great price earlier this year. Love it. No issues with reception on the 4 tuners. Almost wish I had bought them originally. But Edge is faster, better app streaming, (wanted one unit for simplicity) and has gigabit network, making for faster transfers.

· Under Maintenance
25,850 Posts
The Edge can stream from a Roamio IF it was recorded with the Roamio, or other Tivo. If it is a show recorded from a TV tuner in a PC, or a ripped DVD, home video, etc., it will not play on the Edge, but it will (usually) play on the Roamio. If you transfer one of these files from Roamio to Edge via the online tool it will not play. The file will transfer, but not play. I can transfer recordings made on an S3 to the Roamio manually, (not with the online tool) then stream using the Edge.

This is based on my Roamio OTA running TE3 and an Edge w/TE4.

I just use Plex for the rare times I want to watch these types of shows. In my case, I was new to Tivo when I bought my Edge, then another the next year. I had heard about Roamios after buying the Edges, but was concerned my antenna setup would not support 4 tuners.

Ended up getting a Roamio OTA lifetime for a great price earlier this year. Love it. No issues with reception on the 4 tuners. Almost wish I had bought them originally. But Edge is faster, better app streaming, (wanted one unit for simplicity) and has gigabit network, making for faster transfers.
I've kind of decided to just keep my Roamio Pro hooked up. I checked into my lineup and there's almost no 4k content for a 4k Edge to record (some limited sports and zero networks). 99% is in 1080i or 720P.

For the vast majority or shows I record on my TiVo it wouldn't give me any better Picture Quality than I'm getting now. Other than not having 4k (which is apparently not an option for me anyway), I like almost everything else about the Roamio better.

· Super Moderator
55,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,564 ·
Because Tivo in their infinite wisdom idiotically removed transfers from TE4, and you're stuck with TE4 on Edge. Another reason why Roamio was the best box they made.
It's a UI issue. Even in TE3 the UI for transferring from PC to TiVo drops back to the old 4:3 style UI. They didn't want any of that in TE4 and by that time TiVo Desktop was long dead so they had no incentive to redo the UI.

From my understanding TiVo Desktop died because they had some falling out with the third party developer that worked on it. They even asked me if I'd be interested in taking over the project at one point. But I was super busy at the time and couldn't take it on. Apparently they never found anyone else and just let it die instead.

· FUBAR
4,974 Posts
It's a UI issue. Even in TE3 the UI for transferring from PC to TiVo drops back to the old 4:3 style UI. They didn't want any of that in TE4 and by that time TiVo Desktop was long dead so they had no incentive to redo the UI.

From my understanding TiVo Desktop died because they had some falling out with the third party developer that worked on it. They even asked me if I'd be interested in taking over the project at one point. But I was super busy at the time and couldn't take it on. Apparently they never found anyone else and just let it die instead.
The UI isn't the issue IMO, they converted everything else and could have easily done so with transfers. The problem was that they didn't want Tivo Desktop anymore and didn't care about all the users here and elsewhere that used pyTivo etc. Another Tivo fail.

· Super Moderator
55,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,569 ·
The UI isn't the issue IMO, they converted everything else and could have easily done so with transfers. The problem was that they didn't want Tivo Desktop anymore and didn't care about all the users here and elsewhere that used pyTivo etc. Another Tivo fail.
That's what I meant. They didn't want to use the old 4:3 UI in the TE4 UI, like they did with TE3, but because TiVo Desktop was dead they had no motivation to port it over either. So they just removed it instead.

TiVo is dying anyway. Cable companies are dumping CableCARDs, with government approval, and they have no successor. TiVo's half hearted effort into the streaming aggregation game in the Stream 4K is so bad that they even admitted that Google TV makes it completely useless.

The only thing I see going forward for TiVo is some sort of Tablo/Channels like OTA DVR. But if they don't release something like that soon they're just going to be a footnote in history.

· Registered
26 Posts
That sucks. I have had tivos since 1999 and don't see why they can't find a niche that would work. It seems like they go out of their way to close the doors needed to build a unique and useful product. I did not upgrade because I pull things off bit torrent and youtube onto my tivo all the time. It's important functionality I don't see anywhere else. But they shut that down and even streaming shows outside my house off tivo is mostly locked down. Again shutting down another unique avenue. I simply want something that records shows so I can watch them later and allow me to watch them when/where I want. If it can do that, keep them arranged at least as well as anyone else I'm pretty sure they will have a useful product. What is their competitor beyond possibly Kodi which is pretty choppy and is likely to remain a hobbyist product. Am I missing something?

· Super Moderator
55,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,571 ·
That sucks. I have had tivos since 1999 and don't see why they can't find a niche that would work. It seems like they go out of their way to close the doors needed to build a unique and useful product. I did not upgrade because I pull things off bit torrent and youtube onto my tivo all the time. It's important functionality I don't see anywhere else. But they shut that down and even streaming shows outside my house off tivo is mostly locked down. Again shutting down another unique avenue. I simply want something that records shows so I can watch them later and allow me to watch them when/where I want. If it can do that, keep them arranged at least as well as anyone else I'm pretty sure they will have a useful product. What is their competitor beyond possibly Kodi which is pretty choppy and is likely to remain a hobbyist product. Am I missing something?
They had chances to innovate over the years and just floundered at every turn. Lots of great ideas have been purposed, even demoed, that just never made it to market, or did but were only half baked.

There were also some things they had no control over that sank them. The cluster f*ck that was CableCARD was completely out of their hands, as was the decision by the FCC to not mandate a replacement when it reach it's end of life. But there was a window when they could have pivoted and leaned hard into streaming but they didn't. They just sat back and let the product rot on the vine.

It's sad because I can think of ways right now that TiVo could have lived on in the streaming age, but they seemed to have just given up even trying. :(

· Super Moderator
55,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,573 ·
Any idea what options I would have given my use case? I really wish tivo would turn around but the leadership does not have the capacity.
Have you tried Channels? They recently added a feature where you can add personal videos to the UI. It's not quite as simple as TiVo to do, but seems to work well in my limited testing.

· Registered
9 Posts
Hi all. If my main goal is to pull every file off my current Roamio with a 2 TB drive and place in a new 5 TB and push everything back, is pyTivo the right tool? I'm seeing tons of TS errors (FIOS cable card installed) on the downloads, and am worried the TS files I re-upload to the new drive will all just be garbage and this will end up being a huge waste of time. ^128,0, ^93_0, ^95_0, etc.

· Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
Hi all. If my main goal is to pull every file off my current Roamio with a 2 TB drive and place in a new 5 TB and push everything back, is pyTivo the right tool? I'm seeing tons of TS errors (FIOS cable card installed) on the downloads...
Hi @bbddpp and welcome to TCF! :handwaving:

I consider myself *VERY* well-versed on the topic of "Moving TiVo Shows" (SEARCH the TCF Archives for my UserID and "TS Sync Errors" for many discussions ;) ) so I'll need to ask you a few questions before we start:
  1. Are you using TE3 or TE4?
    (Very important).
  2. Do you have a 2nd TiVo unit available?
    (Safest method to copy files; TiVo unit to TiVo unit)
  3. Are you comfortable with pulling the 2TB HDD out of your TiVo unit and running some "Manufacturer's (Read-Only) Diagnostics" on it?
  4. Are you *SURE* that you need a 5TB HDD?
    TiVo units are *NOT* good Storage units - SEARCH the TCF Archives for my opinion on that topic.
  5. Do you own a NAS?
  6. Where are you downloading your TiVo Shows to?
  7. Do you care about 'Closed Captions'?
  8. Are all of your shows MPEG-2 :thumbsup:, or H.264 :thumbsdown: (or a mixture of both :oops: )?
...and am worried the TS files I re-upload to the new drive will all just be garbage and this will end up being a huge waste of time. ^128,0, ^93_0, ^95_0, etc.
Could be... :rolleyes:

You won't know for sure until you try to upload them and then view them...

· TiVoholic by the bay
14,831 Posts
Are all of your shows MPEG-2 :thumbsup:, or H.264 :thumbsdown:
What's wrong with h.264/MP4?

I am converting all my videos stored on a NAS to MP4. Its to save space on a 8TB NAS.

· Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
What's wrong with h.264/MP4?
If the source is H.264, the OP *MUST* use TS (Transport Stream) to download and unfortunately he's already experiencing TS Sync Errors (could be inconsequential depending on where in the 'program material' they are located; i.e. show main or commercial). If the OP doesn't care about 'Closed Captions' and the source material is MPEG-2, he can use PS (Program Stream) to download.
...I am converting all my videos stored on a NAS to MP4. Its to save space on a 8TB NAS.
I've saved SO MUCH STUFF to VHS tape and then DVD that I *NEVER* looked at again that I've forced myself to become somewhat less of a 'Pack Rat'. I put 1 WD Red 3TB HDD (EFRX) into my (2-bay) NAS back in 2017 and only just reached 95% capacity so I powered up my backup (4-bay) NAS and installed 2 WD Red 4TB HDDs (EFRX). Now that I've seen my 'usage pattern' over a ~4 year period, I've dedicated one to TV Shows and one to Movies.

"RAID is not BACKUP" is a common phrase you might have seen. I saw no point in running 4x4TB HDDs in RAID4 or RAID5 just to get contiguous space. I have 'plenty' of spare WD Red 4TB HDDs (EFRX) and 5 WD Easystore 8TB External HDDs that I plan to 'shuck', two for backup duty in the 2-bay NAS (1 at a time until it's filled up) and that leaves me three for 'other backup duties' that I haven't thought of yet.

I realize that my views don't agree with 'the majority', but, IMNSHO, 'the majority', *ESPECIALLY* the non-technical ones, are just wasting their money :rolleyes:. 4x14TB in a RAID4 array is going to be *HELL* to re-silver, especially if all the HDDs are of the same age and any SECOND HDD can fail during the process and ruin your day :eek:.

· Registered
9 Posts
Hi @bbddpp and welcome to TCF! :handwaving:

I consider myself *VERY* well-versed on the topic of "Moving TiVo Shows" (SEARCH the TCF Archives for my UserID and "TS Sync Errors" for many discussions ;) ) so I'll need to ask you a few questions before we start:
  1. Are you using TE3 or TE4?
    (Very important).
  2. Do you have a 2nd TiVo unit available?
    (Safest method to copy files; TiVo unit to TiVo unit)
  3. Are you comfortable with pulling the 2TB HDD out of your TiVo unit and running some "Manufacturer's (Read-Only) Diagnostics" on it?
  4. Are you *SURE* that you need a 5TB HDD?
    TiVo units are *NOT* good Storage units - SEARCH the TCF Archives for my opinion on that topic.
  5. Do you own a NAS?
  6. Where are you downloading your TiVo Shows to?
  7. Do you care about 'Closed Captions'?
  8. Are all of your shows MPEG-2 :thumbsup:, or H.264 :thumbsdown: (or a mixture of both :oops: )?
Could be... :rolleyes:

You won't know for sure until you try to upload them and then view them...
Thanks so much, you are awesome. Basically I have a lot of stuff on a plex server but this stuff is sort of aging stuff that I occasionally will get to but nothing critical (lots of odd content that is watch when you feel like it vs. serialized stuff). That said ideally I don't lose it but the drive swap, my 2 TB is pretty full but also showing signs of issues (slow interface speed, recording issues, etc). I have a spare 5 TB doing nothing so I figured I'd drop it in.

1 - Pretty sure I am on TE4 but can check to be sure. This is the "new tivo experience" i believe. I don't care which experience I use really.

2- I sadly do not have a second tivo.

3 - I build and work with computers so no issues pulling the drives and running tests.

4 - I have the 5 TB doing nothing so it is just a matter of a better drive and less worry about it ever being full.

5 - Have a openmediavault NAS that I use for my long term storage.

6 - Have a hardwired gigabit LAN I attempted to use pyTIvo to DL to. It froze up overnight, was getting around 90 MBps but 2 TB is a lot I realize. I converted one show at random that had errors using KMTTG and the output was watchable in a quick skim, this was one that had errors according to pyTivo.

7 - Do not care.

8 - Not quite sure how to tell, I am on FIOS and everything that came down so far was in TS but unsure of how to see the codec, let me know if there is a way to check, I have to ASSUME MPEG-2 and no protection but I cannot be positive. None of the content is from premium channels.

Hope that helps.

· UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
There are dozens of channels on FiOS that use MPEG-4/H.264. And a few UHD channels that use HEVC. But the local ones are MPEG2.

The last time I looked, in August 2021, there were over one hundred twenty channels on FiOS using MPEG-4/h.264.

Edit: Here is the most recent list I could find. From DSL Reports Forum.
List of MPEG-4 Channels - Verizon FiOS TV | DSLReports Forums (Page 9)
* QAM 4 (69 MHz):
615 Newsmax HD, 656 QVC 3 HD, 726 Revolt HD, 732 FXM HD, 810 MAV HD, 815 TVG HD, 834 MLB Strike Zone HD, 1534 Fox Deportes HD

* QAM 14 (123 MHz):
MLB Extra Innings/NHL Center Ice HD Channels 10 to 14: 1470, 1471, 1472, 1473, 1474

* QAM 17 (141 MHz):
NBA League Pass/MLS Direct Kick HD Channels 6 to 10: 1455, 1456, 1457, 1458, 1459

* QAM 19 (153 MHz):
591 Olympic Channel HD, 798 Jewish Broadcasting Service (JBS) HD, 1010 Fox Soccer Plus HD, 1570 Ultra Docu HD, 1585 Ultra Lune HD, 1650 Ultra Macho HD, 1691 Ultra Film HD, 1693 Ultra Clásico HD

* QAM 30 (261 MHz):
584 Fox Sports 2 HD, 657 ShopHQ HD, 658 Gem Shopping Network HD, 659 Enrich HD, 771 TV One HD, 786 INSP HD, 795 LFN HD, 797 SonLife HD

* QAM 36 (297 MHz):
MLB Extra Innings/NHL Center Ice HD Channels 1 to 5: 1461, 1462, 1463, 1464, 1465

* QAM 42 (333 MHz):
616 One America News HD, 635 Ride TV HD, 662 Z Living HD, 775 NBC Universo HD, 806 Willow HD, 1515 Antenna3 HD, 1759 MBC Drama USA HD, 1769 TV Japan HD

* QAM 45 (351 MHz):
687 Logo HD, 692 Reelz HD, 697 Vice TV HD, 738 Up HD, 765 BabyFirst HD, 772 Aspire HD, 818 Pursuit HD, 830 BTN Overflow, 1719 BabyFirst en Español HD

* QAM 50 (381 MHz):
844 Starz in Black HD, 846 Starz Cinema HD, 852 Starz Encore Classic HD, 856 Starz Encore Suspense HD, 858 Starz Encore Black HD, 861 Starz Encore Action HD, 862 Starz Encore Family HD, 863 Starz Encore Español HD

* QAM 54 (405 MHz):
NBA League Pass/MLS Direct Kick HD Channels 1 to 5: 1450, 1451, 1452, 1453, 1454

* QAM 55 (411 MHz):
604 Yahoo Finance HD, 605 Bloomberg TV HD, 610 i24News HD, 614 Cheddar Business HD, 678 Law & Crime Network HD, 737 Hallmark Drama HD, 787 The Impact Network HD

* QAM 82 (579 MHz):
ESPN College Extra HD Channels 1 to 8: 821, 822, 823, 824, 825, 826, 827, 828

* QAM 84 (585 MHz):
609 BBC World News HD, 720 BET Her HD, 755 TeenNick HD, 831 BTN Overflow, 1558 Discovery en Español HD, 1579 ¡Hola! TV HD, 1701 Discovery Familia HD

* QAM 88 (609 MHz):
812 Stadium College Sports Atlantic HD, 813 Stadium College Sports Central HD, 814 Stadium College Sports Pacific HD

* QAM 93 (639 MHz): or 651 MHz in areas outside VHO7
596 beIN HD, 1538 beIN Spanish HD

* QAM 100 (651 MHz):
558 ES.TV HD, 599 Cars.TV HD, 676 Recipe.TV HD, 695 Comedy.TV HD, 763 Universal Kids HD, 1539 TUDN HD

* QAM 101 (657 MHz):
652 Jewelry Television HD, 653 QVC 2 HD, 654 HSN 2 HD, 679 Crime + Investigation HD, 833 BTN Overflow, 848 IndiePlex HD, 849 RetroPlex HD, 854 Starz Encore Westerns HD

*QAM 104 (675 MHz):
773 CleoTV HD

* QAM 105 (681 MHz):
MLB Extra Innings/NHL Center Ice HD Channels 6 to 9: 1466, 1467, 1468, 1469, 1537 ESPN Deportes HD

* QAM 108 (699 MHz):
571 ACC Network HD

* QAM 114 (735 MHz):
597 Next Level Sports HD, 624 Discovery Life HD, 625 American Heroes Channel HD, 735 Sundance HD, 793 Daystar HD

* QAM 125 (801 MHz):
633 Pets.TV HD, 674 MyDestination.TV HD, 688 Ovation HD, 1516 Multimedios HD, 1670 Ultra Fiesta HD, 1690 Ultra Cine HD, 1692 Ultra Mex HD, 1730 Ultra Kidz HD

· TiVoholic by the bay
14,831 Posts
2561 - 2580 of 2640 Posts