TiVo Community Forum banner
2401 - 2420 of 2630 Posts

·
Super Moderator
59,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,401 ·
Just to be clear, MG3 doesn't do any TiVo uploads or downloads itself. It creates <video_file_name>.txt files that pyTiVo can use to send metadata along with video files uploaded from PC to TiVo (to the degree that operation is still possible). I think you know this but other thread readers may not.

After the certificate expires those .txt files will no longer be able to include seriesId and programId items. I **think** that still will work to include metadata with files uploaded to TiVo's still running TE3, since the many other metadata items will still be in the .txt file. (Neither MG3 or VAP6 require series or program id's to look up metadata.) Functionality such as grouping probably won't work without the programId and seriesId items although these can be edited into the .txt files if one knows values that work.
Yeah that's basically what I meant. After the expiration it wont be able to get the uploaded recordings to group with their recorded counterparts. That sucks. Was always a nice feature of MG3.

Does anyone know when the TiVo app itself will be updated with the new certificate? Maybe we can convince a hacker on reddit to grab the certificate, or do a little collection to pay someone to do it. (assuming it's not actually impossible now)

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,653 Posts
That screaming sound is me, yelling "Bad timestamps? WHY COMCAST WHY?" like Nancy Kerrigan. Pay it no mind.

Thanks, I'll experiment with running QSF on some of the shorter files to see if that will fix them. If all goes well, I'll try fixing the longer shows again.
If you are short on space, you could delete the .TiVo file after you decrypted, then there should be room for the QSF file.

·
Cranky old novice
9,481 Posts
Yeah that's basically what I meant. After the expiration it wont be able to get the uploaded recordings to group with their recorded counterparts. That sucks. Was always a nice feature of MG3.

Does anyone know when the TiVo app itself will be updated with the new certificate? Maybe we can convince a hacker on reddit to grab the certificate, or do a little collection to pay someone to do it. (assuming it's not actually impossible now)
@moyekj ,the author of KMTTG, has been the source of certificates for MG3 and AFAIK he has given up on getting a new certificate. See the following post in the KMTTG thread and the next 5 or 6 posts after it:
New program for 1 step TTG downloads, decryption, encoding - kmttg

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,653 Posts
All those should work, but TS is transport stream and should work when properly encoded and not encrypted for Tivo.

What you download as PS will be MPEG2 format, and TS would be h.264 from the Tivo after its decrypted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you, but I ran into a big issue: All files transferred by pyTiVo desktop to a TE3 box are not playable at TE4 boxes. I tried avi, I tries mpeg, transferred files from TE3 Bolt to TE4 Bolt via TiVo site - same result - files are not even clickable. Pressing enter on TE4 box simply do nothing for these files.
At the same time, TE3 Bolt plays everything without issues.
I have two Bolts and two minis, all are TE4 except one TE3 Bolt that serves as backup and pyTiVo target, naturally, I need to play these files on all TE4 boxes.
Have someone any idea why they fail?

BTW, pyTiVo Desktop doesn't even see mkv files in the shared PC folder, so mkv transfer is not possible.

·
Super Moderator
59,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,408 ·
Try going into the Settings, Upload and setting the "Send files as transport streams" to Off and see if that helps.

PyTivo should see the MKV files, but I'm not 100% sure how that works. I didn't personally write pyTivo. I just packaged it up into an easy to use exe and added a nice UI. I did make some minor changes to the pyTivo code but the vast majority of the logic around which files are recognized and how they're transcoded were developed by others and not something I'm intimately familiar with.

That being said.... the upload part of pyTivo is probably not something you should rely on. As you have discovered they removed that capability from TE4 and they've recently removed the ability to roll back from TE4 to TE3 on Bolt units. So they're actively pushing toward a future where that feature no longer exists. The issue you're seeing with transferred programs not being able to be streamed to a TE4 box might actually be an intentional change by TiVo to prevent that workaround. They really want this feature to die and it could go away at any time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
PyTivo should see the MKV files, but I'm not 100% sure how that works. I didn't personally write pyTivo. I just packaged it up into an easy to use exe and added a nice UI. I did make some minor changes to the pyTivo code but the vast majority of the logic around which files are recognized and how they're transcoded were developed by others and not something I'm intimately familiar with.
To add mkv extension to recognizable video files, look for the video.py file in the C:\pyTivo\plugins\video folder in the python version of pyTivo. There is an EXTENSIONS statement. Add mkv to it as I have shown in green below:

EXTENSIONS = """.tivo .mpg .avi .wmv .mov .flv .f4v .vob .mp4 .m4v .mkv .mk3d
.ts .tp .trp .3g2 .3gp .3gp2 .3gpp .amv .asf .avs .bik .bix .box .bsf
.dif .divx .dmb .dpg .dv .dvr-ms .evo .eye .flc .fli .flx .gvi .ivf
.m1v .m21 .m2t .m2ts .m2v .m2p .m4e .mjp .mjpeg .mod .moov .movie .mp21
.mpe .mpeg .mpv .mpv2 .mqv .mts .mvb .nsv .nuv .nut .ogm .qt .rm .rmvb
.rts .scm .smv .ssm .svi .vdo .vfw .vid .viv .vivo .vp6 .vp7 .vro .webm
.wm .wmd .wtv .yuv""".split()

remove the compiled version video.pyc from that folder and restart pyTivo

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
Thank you, but I ran into a big issue: All files transferred by pyTiVo desktop to a TE3 box are not playable at TE4 boxes. I tried avi, I tries mpeg, transferred files from TE3 Bolt to TE4 Bolt via TiVo site - same result - files are not even clickable. Pressing enter on TE4 box simply do nothing for these files.
I have two Bolts and two minis, all are TE4 except one TE3 Bolt that serves as backup and pyTiVo target, naturally, I need to play these files on all TE4 boxes.
Are you supplying metadata for the uploaded files so they look like a standard recorded show?

Scott

·
Super Moderator
59,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,412 ·
To add mkv extension to recognizable video files, look for the video.py file in the C:\pyTivo\plugins\video folder in the python version of pyTivo. There is an EXTENSIONS statement. Add mkv to it as I have shown in green below:

EXTENSIONS = """.tivo .mpg .avi .wmv .mov .flv .f4v .vob .mp4 .m4v .mkv .mk3d
.ts .tp .trp .3g2 .3gp .3gp2 .3gpp .amv .asf .avs .bik .bix .box .bsf
.dif .divx .dmb .dpg .dv .dvr-ms .evo .eye .flc .fli .flx .gvi .ivf
.m1v .m21 .m2t .m2ts .m2v .m2p .m4e .mjp .mjpeg .mod .moov .movie .mp21
.mpe .mpeg .mpv .mpv2 .mqv .mts .mvb .nsv .nuv .nut .ogm .qt .rm .rmvb
.rts .scm .smv .ssm .svi .vdo .vfw .vid .viv .vivo .vp6 .vp7 .vro .webm
.wm .wmd .wtv .yuv""".split()

remove the compiled version video.pyc from that folder and restart pyTivo
I'd need to do that on my end. This version of pyTivo is compiled into an exe using pyInstaller so users don't have direct access to the python code.

·
Super Moderator
59,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,413 ·
I'm kind of surprised there isn’t an option in the config file to add extensions. Part of the downfall of me using pyTivo for this project is that I didn’t write most of pyTivo so I don’t even know how a lot of these things work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
taking a closer look at that video.py file, i think you should also add the mkv extension to the following (which is right under the EXTENSIONS statement i referred to above.

LIKELYTS = """.ts .tp .trp .3g2 .3gp .3gp2 .3gpp .m2t .m2ts .mts .mp4
.m4v .flv .mkv .mov .wtv .dvr-ms .webm""".split()

the thing about these changes is that the only thing it does is add file extensions that pytivo will recognize as valid media files for inclusion in the list of files that will be displayed. it does not guarantee that they will work. if ffmpeg can handle them, there is a good chance they will work.

i'm not an expert on pyTivo but i use it every day and i have spent the last couple years teaching myself Python so that i could fix and enhance things to work the way i wanted them to work.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
This is a wonderful feature of the fine and polished turd called TE4 - the company did this to us on purpose.

When I converted one Bolt to that horrible software for testing, I had a couple of non-.tivo files on there, and after I ruined the Bolt with TE4, it could not access any of those files, just like you have found. In fact, the Bolt with TE4 cannot even DELETE one of those files on its own hard drive! To remove them, I had to go to another box running the much better TE3, access the program list on the TE4 box, and delete the files with TE3. What a stinking pile of garbage they made with TE4!

·
Don't stop believin'
26,095 Posts

·
Don't stop believin'
26,095 Posts
You might be able to fix that if you go into the options, go to the stream tab, and increase the value for MBytes to scan at file open. Try doubling it a few times and see if you can find a value that works.
Hi, just wanted to quote this again so I'll remember and post an update.

On problem recordings, both versions (5 and 6) of VRD TVS are reporting "Problem while seeking to: 00:00:00.00" (and sometimes VRD crashes and closes immediately). TV Suite 6 is Version 6.61.3.821 dated Aug 27, 2020.

I haven't been able to try your suggestion yet, but I'll start there when I have brainpower for debugging. Recordings from some channels are okay, so I'm going to focus on transferring all the recordings from seemingly "good" channels to make more room on the Roamio first.

I made a fresh install of pyTiVo Desktop, so now I can transfer problem programs with that and with kmttg to see if that makes a difference (I suppose it shouldn't, but I want to rule that out).

I'll take the kmttg weirdnesses over to the kmttg thread. Thanks again for your help.

2401 - 2420 of 2630 Posts