TiVo Community Forum banner
2381 - 2400 of 2629 Posts

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,596 Posts
Its not what you were doing wrong, but rather the video file has some bad timestamps and QSF would fix it.

Reactions: murgatroyd

·
Don't stop believin'
26,095 Posts
Its not what you were doing wrong, but rather the video file has some bad timestamps and QSF would fix it.
That screaming sound is me, yelling "Bad timestamps? WHY COMCAST WHY?" like Nancy Kerrigan. Pay it no mind.

Thanks, I'll experiment with running QSF on some of the shorter files to see if that will fix them. If all goes well, I'll try fixing the longer shows again.

·
Super Moderator
59,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,383 ·
FYI PyTiVo Desktop has all of the features you say you use, even the automatic VRD post-processing. (works with both v5 and v6) I even have the option to delete the original after the QSF is done, which might help with your space issue.

·
Don't stop believin'
26,095 Posts
FYI PyTiVo Desktop has all of the features you say you use, even the automatic VRD post-processing. (works with both v5 and v6) I even have the option to delete the original after the QSF is done, which might help with your space issue.
Thanks. Sorry to be so dense.

I can post more of the log later (about to eat dinner) but this is the error I've been seeing lately from VRD.

2020-10-25 20:10:13 Unable to open file: C:\kmttg\output\tivo\The Masked Singer - Special Season Four Sneak Peek_Ep#318 (09_13_2020) 2020-09-13_1659Sep.TiVo, <Unable to determine initial clock, details in the log file.>

·
Super Moderator
59,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,385 ·
Thanks. Sorry to be so dense.

I can post more of the log later (about to eat dinner) but this is the error I've been seeing lately from VRD.
You might be able to fix that if you go into the options, go to the stream tab, and increase the value for MBytes to scan at file open. Try doubling it a few times and see if you can find a value that works.

·
Don't stop believin'
26,095 Posts
You might be able to fix that if you go into the options, go to the stream tab, and increase the value for MBytes to scan at file open. Try doubling it a few times and see if you can find a value that works.
Thanks. Just to clarify, that file was transferred with kmttg. I'll report back tomorrow after I've had a chance to re-install pyTiVo Desktop.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just logged on to TCF after a long time away and saw the bad news that kmttg is being abandoned. :disrelieved:
kmttg is abandoned in the sense that it won't be updated going forward. This is mostly because there was no one able to provide the "key" needed for much of kmttg's awesome functionality. Therefore that functionality won't work when the current key in use expires.
However, all the rest of kmttg's functionality will continue to work, in particular you should still be able to download and run the downloaded file through the same processing chain. One thing that won't work there is if you depend on naming the downloaded file with certain data such as the series number or episode number.

If you're using VRD to decrypt the downloaded file, kmttg will have VRD do the decryption and QSF in the same step, no extra file space needed. If you're running out of space it isn't the QSF step causing the problem it is probably the decryption.

·
Cranky old novice
9,481 Posts
kmttg is abandoned in the sense that it won't be updated going forward. This is mostly because there was no one able to provide the "key" needed for much of kmttg's awesome functionality. Therefore that functionality won't work when the current key in use expires.
However, all the rest of kmttg's functionality will continue to work, in particular you should still be able to download and run the downloaded file through the same processing chain. One thing that won't work there is if you depend on naming the downloaded file with certain data such as the series number or episode number.

If you're using VRD to decrypt the downloaded file, kmttg will have VRD do the decryption and QSF in the same step, no extra file space needed. If you're running out of space it isn't the QSF step causing the problem it is probably the decryption.
I author two programs (links in signature) that can automate, or semi-automate, renaming video files based on metadata and placing them in folders created and named based on metadata.

VAP6 requires VRD TV Suite 6 to be installed. It monitors a folder where you (or I assume KMTTG) would place downloaded files and then processes them with VRD, renames and relocates the output based on metadata obtained from theTVDB.com or TMDb.com. All automatic, once set up.

Metagenerator 3 (MG3) doesn't require VRD to be installed and doesn't monitor a folder or do automated processing, although it has modes that process all videos in a folder based on a button click. It can embed metadata in output .mp4 or .wtv files, but cannot recode videos like VAP6 can.

Both programs run only on Windows, using the .NET framework. Neither program has very good documentation but I monitor their threads and will respond with help when needed.

·
Super Moderator
59,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,392 ·
No possible. VRD needs a source and an output file. So you need 2X the space to QSF a file.

·
Super Moderator
59,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,393 ·
I author two programs (links in signature) that can automate, or semi-automate, renaming video files based on metadata and placing them in folders created and named based on metadata.

VAP6 requires VRD TV Suite 6 to be installed. It monitors a folder where you (or I assume KMTTG) would place downloaded files and then processes them with VRD, renames and relocates the output based on metadata obtained from theTVDB.com or TMDb.com. All automatic, once set up.

Metagenerator 3 (MG3) doesn't require VRD to be installed and doesn't monitor a folder or do automated processing, although it has modes that process all videos in a folder based on a button click. It can embed metadata in output .mp4 or .wtv files, but cannot recode videos like VAP6 can.

Both programs run only on Windows, using the .NET framework. Neither program has very good documentation but I monitor their threads and will respond with help when needed.
Doesn't Metagenerator 3 use mind/rpc? So won't it have the same issue with the certificate when it expires in December?

·
Super Moderator
59,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,395 ·
Really? Huh, I thought the source was the encoded .TiVo file and the output was the decoded and QSF'd file. OK good to know.
That is true. But at the end you still have the source .tivo file and the output QSFed file on the disk. So it requires 2x space.

By contrast pyTivo can decrypt on the fly using tivolibre. So as every little chunk of data comes in over the network it's held in memory, fed to tivolibre, and then only the decrypted data is written to the disk. You never have the encrypted .tivo sitting on the disk.

·
Cranky old novice
9,481 Posts
Doesn't Metagenerator 3 use mind/rpc? So won't it have the same issue with the certificate when it expires in December?
MG3 uses mind/rpc only to search for seriesId's and programId's so yes, those two items will no longer be available. But all the other metadata is obtained from other sources which don't depend on the certificate.

·
Registered
325 Posts
That is true. But at the end you still have the source .tivo file and the output QSFed file on the disk. So it requires 2x space.

By contrast pyTivo can decrypt on the fly using tivolibre. So as every little chunk of data comes in over the network it's held in memory, fed to tivolibre, and then only the decrypted data is written to the disk. You never have the encrypted .tivo sitting on the disk.
Ah, I was replying to:
In kmttg I have the boxes checked for TS downloads, to get metadata, and to decrypt. I had kmttg set up to use VRD to run QSF, but since I'm short on hard drive space, I unchecked the box so I could run QSF at a later time. Despite this, QSF has been running anyway, or trying to, and failing.
And I was just saying that unchecking the kmttg "QSF" box but leaving "decrypt" checked when using VRD doesn't save any space.

·
Super Moderator
59,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,399 ·
MG3 uses mind/rpc only to search for seriesId's and programId's so yes, those two items will no longer be available. But all the other metadata is obtained from other sources which don't depend on the certificate.
So after the certificate expires you'll no longer be able to use MG3 for pyTivo uploads because it wont be able to match the data from the TVDB to the requires TiVo series and program IDs right?

·
Cranky old novice
9,481 Posts
So after the certificate expires you'll no longer be able to use MG3 for pyTivo uploads because it wont be able to match the data from the TVDB to the requires TiVo series and program IDs right?
Just to be clear, MG3 doesn't do any TiVo uploads or downloads itself. It creates <video_file_name>.txt files that pyTiVo can use to send metadata along with video files uploaded from PC to TiVo (to the degree that operation is still possible). I think you know this but other thread readers may not.

After the certificate expires those .txt files will no longer be able to include seriesId and programId items. I **think** that still will work to include metadata with files uploaded to TiVo's still running TE3, since the many other metadata items will still be in the .txt file. (Neither MG3 or VAP6 require series or program id's to look up metadata.) Functionality such as grouping probably won't work without the programId and seriesId items although these can be edited into the .txt files if one knows values that work.

2381 - 2400 of 2629 Posts