TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
tivo_xml developer
1,818 Posts
I finally got the Mac version working. Have a few minor bugs I have to work out, but it's running on my development machine. Once I get the bugs ironed out and an installer built for it I'll upload it to the website.
I'm game for testing potentially broken builds and reporting any issues. Running MacOS 10.12 on a MacBook Air.

·
tivo_xml developer
1,818 Posts
The Mac version has been posted. Please try it out and let me know if you have any trouble.
Mac version is up and running here:). Two notes (both relatively minor):

1) Icon still shows in dock all the time (ie when the window is closed but the tray icon is still running); assuming that's just something you haven't dealt with yet, and no big deal for me.

2) I didn't realize the disk image contained the installer, from the naming I thought I was supposed to drag the pyTivo_1.5.11.app file to the Applications folder; perhaps explicitly naming it something like 'pyTivo_installer_v1.5.11.app' would be helpful here. Once I realized I had to run that and it would drop the actual app into the Applications folder (along with doing the other setup tasks), it was smooth sailing.

I'll do uploads and downloads a bit today, but so far things look really good.

·
tivo_xml developer
1,818 Posts
) Icon still shows in dock all the time (ie when the window is closed but the tray icon is still running); assuming that's just something you haven't dealt with yet, and no big deal for me.
Little more detail: Actually, the dock icon will disappear if I use the pyTivoDesktop menu or Command-Q to quit the window. If I merely click the red x icon on the window, the dock icon remains. If possible, I'd prefer the x to handle things the same way as using the menu or key combo(would probably be good to change the wording to 'Close' vs. 'Quit', again, only if possible).

·
tivo_xml developer
1,818 Posts
I am also running the OSX version and echo gonzotek's comments, although I just doubleclicked on the .dmg file after it was done downloading. I had to change my security settings to allow running an installation program from an unknown author. I started downloading 2 shows from my Roamio Basic before I left fo work.
Yes, I had to override my default security setting as well(I understand why and all, just noting it here for reference).

·
tivo_xml developer
1,818 Posts
Yeah it is annoying. Looking at the code I think I could make it close on X but that seems to break the normal Mac paradigm, so I'm not sure if I should.
I know the tray icon is *technically* a separate process from the window UI, and thus closing the window shouldn't quit the UI app(if we're doing things the 'Mac' way); but for the end user, they're effectively both parts of the single pyTivo Desktop app.

So the way I see it, closing the window isn't me saying "I want to quit pyTivo", it's me saying I'm done with the UI part and just want the server running in the background with no dock icon(but still with easy access to the main UI again via the tray icon). Just my 2 cents, I'm ultimately good however you want it to work.

·
tivo_xml developer
1,818 Posts
Yeah there is an issue with that option. It's best to reinstall and not check the service option.

I'm probably going to remove that option from the installer in the next release as it's causing more trouble then it's worth.
The way I see it, running as a service implies a desire for a headless operation anyway, in most cases. Your (very nice) custom desktop UI is kinda pointless in that case. I vote for removing the service option so there's less for you to maintain/support :) On the other hand, there are a couple reasons someone might still want your version - the installer and pytivo-specific code changes.

·
tivo_xml developer
1,818 Posts
For now the download portion still works. But uploading is completely gone from Hydra and I don't expect it to return.

I'm not sure how much more effort I want to put into this project knowing that TiVo could stop it from working at any moment. I'll still fix the outstanding bugs, but I'm unlikely to add any new features going forward.
Keep in mind, they do still support sending videos out; I would have expected them to kill that before the other way round. Also remember that there are a number of NAS products that support transfers to and from tivo via the traditional calypso protocols that ttg/ttcb/music/photos are based on. So not bringing that back to Hydra also breaks hardware from actual vendors(Netgear and HP, at the very least, there may also be others), rather than 'just' us enthusiast users. I'd hope TiVo is considering that in deciding if/when it's a priority to restore.

·
tivo_xml developer
1,818 Posts
just upgraded to Hydra. my vids that I had already transferred from my PC are in "My Shows", but all my pytivo shares are gone from "my shows". any help please would be appreciated. I heard you can't transfer from hydra to PC (which I'm ok with ) but I still want to transfer from PC to Hydra
Sorry, but you have it backwards. Transfers from Tivo to PC are working. From PC to TiVo are not working.

·
tivo_xml developer
1,818 Posts
Please don't or at least make it optional. You're trying to fix a problem that is not your fault. My PC is using WiFi. My basic Roamio is using a wireless bridge. I like having 100Mbps transfers.

This reminds of way back when I had to put code into programs to flush the pre-fetch cache.
IMO, Dan should take a crack at it if he wants to, but it should absolutely be an optional feature. It might not be his fault, but you do what you gotta do to workaround things when it's a closed system, as TiVo transfers are.

Some people will want the fastest transfers possible, and will be perfectly ok with occasional glitches(or perhaps don't suffer much from glitching even with fast transfers). Some will want 'perfect', glitch-free transfers(and perhaps can't even achieve watchable transfers without the intentional slowing). And some might want to switch between both modes, depending on the specific content (e.g. just some repeat episodes of some tv series I want to bring on vacation vs. a live special that is unlikely ever to be aired again).

·
tivo_xml developer
1,818 Posts
What is the TiVo Media Access Key?
Unique 10 digit number that allows transferring content from a TiVo to a PC. You can find yours on a screen in your tivo settings (sorry, I'm unsure where exactly it's currently found on newer tivo units), or online at TiVo's website: TiVo Media Access Key

1 - 11 of 11 Posts