TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,977 Posts
I used to use pyTiVo on an almost daily basis, but haven't touched it in many months since installing Plex on an Apple TV 4. I do love the idea of an installer that doesn't require reading lots of detailed websites to figure out what to do. I'm sure that will be very helpful for those that still have a use for that kind of software. Good job, Dan.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,977 Posts
horray, I fixed the paths and they saved. I did a poor copy/paste job. anyway, my sections are now visible. My only question now is how to I automatically push vidoes from my "podcast" section?
As stated before, no program currently exists that can automatically "push" content to the TiVo. You have to use the TiVo to "pull" it from server, which is where pyTiVo comes in.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,977 Posts
There are 300+ recordings saved to keep until I delete. Are they all needed? No, probably not, but many are shows my wife watches, so I don't get to simply decide what gets deleted, there is a committee involved :) Transferring them is the simplest approach to a smooth transition, at least for now.

Good info on Plex, thank you. And even without that, it seems like maybe I could share them from the PC, allowing streaming them that way. My preference would be to just copy them to the Bolt, so I don't have to keep a share running, but that's definitely an option, and it's also simpler to manage at the moment.

I have started trying kmttg, it appeared to easily allow selecting a bunch of recordings to queue for transfer to the PC, which is a useful place to start.
Another benefit of just keeping the shows on the PC and allowing them to be streamed via Plex or pulled via pyTiVo/kmttg whenever someone wants to watch is you don't need to have nearly as much storage space on the TiVo itself. You mentioned that you have upgraded storage in your current S2s and 300+ programs saved as KUID. That space can be recovered by simply keeping that stuff on the PC.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,977 Posts
The main reason I use TS even for MPEG2 is because PS tends to garble the CC. If I didn't care about CC, I'd uhh... "acquire" them by other means.
You can "acquire" content by other means and then add the CC file manually. There are many sites out there with the CC files and adding them to the video file is pretty simple in Handbrake.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,977 Posts
You cannot actually add CC manually, at least not by any viable method I know about and I have looked. You can take an srt file and "burn" the captions onto the video, but that is not the same thing, and is a major PITA. There is also a way to have ffmpeg do it during the pyTivo transfer but that has some problems also.
You don't "burn" the captions onto the video. You simply embed them into the video file and they can be turned on or off using the CC function of the player software. It works great for me via Plex. I can't speak to whether it works when you embed the captions into a .tivo file and then transfer that back to the TiVo via pyTiVo or kmttg.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,977 Posts
I'm willing to bet that those are subtitles which are manifestly not the same as CC and it is Plex that is handling them. The TiVo has no support for subtitles, only CC.

kmttg cannot not transfer back to the TiVo.
Yes, they are subtitles rather than CC, but you can get .srt files that have just the dialogue or .srt files that have all the CC for hearing impaired info. And it's not a Plex thing, because if I embed the .srt file into the video file, then you can view them with other players such as VLC and turn the subtitles on/off.

As I said, I've never tried transferring a video file with embedded .srt info to a TiVo because with Plex, there is no need to do that. But if the TiVo doesn't handle it properly, that's an issue with the TiVo software, not with the video file.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,977 Posts
Subtitles are not and never have been supported by TiVo and I wouldn't expect them to be. Both broadcast TV and cable use CC, not subtitles. Remember what a TiVo's primary function is.

Subtitles are on separate tracks while CC are embedded in the video track. When you transfer a recording to a TiVo, those tracks aren't even included.

And it is "a Plex thing" as far as viewing subtitles through a TiVo is concerned. The fact that other players also support subtitles is irrelevant.
It's not a Plex thing. It's simply a standard that video players (including Plex and VLC) have a setting to turn subtitles/CC on or off, and if the .srt file is properly embedded in the video file, then the player has the ability to turn the "words" on and off. As I said, I have no experience trying to play such files on a TiVo, whether through Plex or otherwise. I'm simply stating that you can embed the CC or subtitle information into the video file and you can turn it on or off if you use the proper player app/software. If TiVo doesn't have the proper software, that doesn't mean the CC/subtitle info isn't accessible when the content is "acquired" through other means.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,977 Posts
A Plex Server is on my (HUGE) "To Do / Round Tuit" list.

Please provide more details or terms I can GOOGLE to narrow down my SEARCH on how what you're describing works ('selectable' CCs). Thanks! :)

@epstewart, in Post #6771 described his effort IN DETAIL back in May 2014 trying to get 'selectable CCs' on his iPad but the resulting file caused his bandwidth requirements to skyrocket. :eek:
I procrastinated setting up a Plex server for a very long time, thinking it would be pretty involved and take a lot of time. But when I actually got around to it, it was incredibly simple and only took a few minutes. I'd highly recommend it.

As for inserting subtitles that can be turned on or off via Plex/VLC/other player software, I simply download the .srt file from one of the many subtitle websites, such as subscene, and then I use Handbrake to embed the subtitles into the file. I don't have Handbrake on my work computer so I can't detail the specifics, but it's a very simple process to simply point Handbrake to the .srt file and then choose whether the subtitles are burned in or not.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,977 Posts
New update just posted. Contains two enhancements...

1) Changes download naming convention to be like TiVo Desktop. i.e. "showname - "episode title" (recorded date, channel).tivo"
2) Groups Suggestions into their own folder and adds a green thumbs up before the show name so they are easy to distinguish from regular recordings.
I think it's great that you're responding to requests and added the suggestions thing. But in what scenario are people wanting to transfer suggestions from the TiVo to a PC, let alone from the PC back to a TiVo? Do people actually care about the shows that are recorded as suggestions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts