TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 17 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
ok so it was easy enough to install. where can I find out how to use it? is it comparable to Tivo desktop 2.8.3?

windows 10 home PC
the pytivo icon is in my systray with a red x that says "stopped". clicking start only starts it for a few seconds then the red x again. clicking edit shares does nothing. a reboot changed nothing, nor did changing security to full control for x386/pytivo folder
all I want to do is auto transfer my podcasts to my tivo each day.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hmmm... sounds like something has gone wrong. I haven't seen anything like that in my testing. Try temporarily disabling your antivirus and see if that allows it to run. If it does then add an exception to the AV program for the install folder.
No luck. I disabled norton. Even uninstalled then reinstalled with norton disabled. Can't get it to start for more than 2 seconds. Maybe someone else will have thoughts.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
One thing you can do...

1) Open explorer and go to PyTivo install directory
2) Shift+right click the pyTivo.exe and pick copy path
3) Open a command prompt
4) Right click in cmd window to paste the path of pyTivo.exe
5) Press enter

That will show the command output of the main pyTivo program and may give you a clue why it's not running
ok here you go

imagehost

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hmm... looks like it's a problem with the config file. You've never had pyTiVo before right? Can you do a search on your pc for "pytivo.conf" and let me know if it actualy finds one anywhere? (I appreciate your help)
Windows 10 machine, this thread is the first time I ever installed pyTivo but I have uninstalled and reinstalled your .exe file several times now

searching my C drive for pytivo.conf brings up 2 results

c:\program files (x86)\pytivo

and c:users\myname\app data\local\virtual store\program files (x86)\pytivo

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Are you adding shares via the interface? If so what are the names/paths to the shares. Maybe there is some parsing error in my UI when trying to parse the names or path names. (thanks again for the help)
I have no experience with pytivo. pytivo starts after installation. In the systray icon I clicked "edit shares", then , video, then add, then browsed to folders containing video clips on my PC, then Ok, ok
clicking "edit shares" kills pytivo. pytivo stops every time I go in to add shares and never restarts
an example of one of my shares c:\music\itunes\itunes music\podcasts\All CNET Video podcasts
again, I drilling down using browse, not typing in a command line

should I be using another interface? if so, where is it?

edit:
ok, I just discovered "show web UI". I guess that is how I should be adding shares???

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Are you entering a share name? Or just picking a folder?
I used the web UI to add a section called "Myname Video Files"
In this section, I manually entered the path to my podcasts c:\music\itunes\itunes music\podcasts\All CNET Video podcasts ( a pain by the way, a browse would be much easier)"

edit, never mind, i just discovered "copy path" that works fine

that is a folder that will contain .mp4 podcasts as CNET populates my itunes podcasts

should this work? at least the server stays on, and I see "myname video files" in my Tivo so I am making nice progress :)
is there a way to push these podcasts to my tivo automatically like tivo desktop used to do?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
a few issues: after I add a section using the web UI and copied the path to the folder that contains the .mp4 files I notice when I go back into the web ui the path is blank, even though the new section is still listed.
I added two video sections, same issue on both.
and even though my tivo "sees" my two pytivo sections, my first added section called "CNET podcasts"when clicked on the tivo says
"the CNET podcasts PCs now playing list could not be displayed because it is unavailable. press left to return to the my shows list"

same thing with the other section

I will try PC and Tivo reboots

reboots did not solve

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Could be a firewall issue. Are you using the Windows firewall? When you launched the program the first time it should have prompted you to allow pyTivo to connect to the network. Did you accept that?
I got a firewall message when I rebooted earlier and clicked "allow". is there a particular item that needs to be allowed access? my firewall is controlled through Norton security and pytivo is still set to allow in it

should those "paths" in the new sections be blank?

I added my MAK to global settings but that did not fix. does anything else need added to global settings?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
There are no paths in those shares. You need to point it to a folder. Should look like this...

[TV Shows]
path = E:\TV Shows
type = video

I'm working on a change now that will ensure you can't create improper shares like this. As well as some other basic error handling stuff.
as I have said in earlier posts fter I copy a path to the section and it save when I go back in to settings the path disappears

I will recreate without using "copy shortcut", i think that is the problem

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Are you copying with quotes?

I don't think it wants quotes, and windows will put quotes around any path with a space in it automatically.

That's another error condition I should look for.
horray, I fixed the paths and they saved. I did a poor copy/paste job. anyway, my sections are now visible. My only question now is how to I automatically push vidoes from my "podcast" section?

1 - 17 of 37 Posts