TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
FYI - pyTivo will become more important than ever soon. I was informed by Tivo Support that they will no longer support watching recorded programs using Tivo-Online. I had to install pyTivo to download the programs to my Win 10 machine (with decoding enabled) and watch using VLC player. Programs wouldn't play well with Media Player, or Windows Movie & TV Player. Either very choppy, or audio was out of sync. Only VLC would play it correctly.

Tivo Support said "they're taking playback away from their online site due to issues". I believe it's due to new ownership. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see this forum disappear as well.

Remember - there's the wayback site...it will let you still see the forum content, even if they take the site down: Wayback Machine

· Registered
7 Posts
VideoReDo can fix the out of sync issue.
VLC played fine. I'm not really looking to store recorded content for long - watch and delete. I've already recorded 4TB of movies I don't watch...not much point. Between TIVO and Youtube TV, I'm 98% covered. 2%=Disney (wife) + NetFlix (daughter) + Amazon (because it's included). I don't have cable into my Bolt, nor will I ever simply because they charge way to much. OTA all the way. 1GB Fiber Internet @$59/month plays it all on every device with no lag (city of Longmont CO fiber Internet). TIVO just deals with the OTA so I have something if the Internet goes down from a Russian cyber attack that takes the Internet down for days.

· Registered
7 Posts
FYI - pyTivo will become more important than ever soon. I was informed by Tivo Support that they will no longer support watching recorded programs using Tivo-Online.
Today was the day - I tried to stream a program to my PC on Chrome, and got a box that says "As of May 2022, you will no longer be able to stream from your box on Chrome"

I have a Bolt with lifetime support. I wonder if they'll refund my support fees...my wife works at a law firm...maybe I should ask her to ask them if I'm entitled to a refund...or if they want to pursue a juicy class-action against Tivo...PITA. I'll just download and watch from the PC. It's not like they didn't have time to produce a PC-based product, or better yet, dump that dumb online thing, and move it all to the local TIVO...it would support it.

· Registered
7 Posts
The message seems unnecessarily specific to Chrome if they’re discontinuing TiVo Online streaming.

Have you checked other browsers? Other programs have similar restrictions owing to security//DRM concerns.
It has something to do with this: Private Network Access update: Introducing a deprecation trial - Chrome Developers
That means Edge is down with the same message. Based on the info, most if not all browsers will tighten up, preventing online.tivo.com from working the way it's designed. Rather than fix the problem at Tivo, which they could, they just decided to dump the PC interface for streaming.

· Registered
7 Posts
You can overide this restriction.

Tried this. The chrome instructions are not clear. Chrome also updated recently, maybe today. When I try to stream a show using online.tivo.com web site after adding *.tivo.com to the exceptions, instead of a permanent twirling blue circle, I get this new message after a few moments:

Problem Playing Show
We are unable to detect your TiVo streaming device from this location. If you are currently away from home, streaming video is not supported at this time.

This may, or maynot be the same problem as before, it's just timing out quicker. Also note that if I repeat the process of attempting to play a recording, sooner or later it used to playback. I haven't tried much today, but if it still plays eventually, then it's a web coding bug, not a restriction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts