TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I've created an easier to use/install version of pyTivo. It's compiled into a standard Windows exe and does NOT require you to install python on your PC to work. It also includes a simple UI for setting up and managing shares. Some of the advanced features still have to be setup using the web UI or by editing the config file by hand, but this should be a lot easier for people to get going if all you want to do is transfer videos from your PC to your TiVo or use Music/Photos.

pyTivo_setup.exe

In a future release I plan to add a UI for some of the advanced settings and maybe the TTG portion too.

I'm also going to try creating Mac and Linux versions too when I have some more time.
Chrome won't let me download the file.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
My isp virus protection just took out at least parts of the program. Didn't even give me an option. I'll have to look into what exactly was deleted. Spectrum, F Secure.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Dan, I hope you don't think I'm a lazy bastard for not searching through 46 pages of posts, but I can't get the program to run. I just reset Windows 10 on my PC and figured I'd install PyTiVo Desktop. I had the old version and it appears parts are still around on the PC. Install went fine, but when I click to start, I get error message "error connecting to Pytivo".

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
The error connecting is a bug. If you click retry it will work. I'll fix that in the next release. Sorry
No dice on pytivo desktop. Get same message when I hit retry. When I try to open Pytivo, there's a quick blink and then nothing. I've unblocked firewalls and still no dice.

In task manager it show two pytivo.exe running and two pytivo tray running.

In the pytivo dialog it shows it found my two boxes.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
New build posted. Sorry about that guys.
Up and running! Was a bit of a glitch on the download; I forget the exact message, but it sounded like failure. Nevertheless, I started Pytivo, then Pytivo desktop and voila. Transferred a couple of recordings back and forth and everything looks good.

This is particularly timely for me since I lost desktop Plus in the reset of windows.

Now if I could only figure out how to download iTunes to my reset pc.

Thanks a million, Dan.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Downloads work, now they don't. Queue just sits there. Reloaded a few times, but no joy. Obviously sees my boxes and loads programs, but doesn't do anything on transfer.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Perhaps the destination folder was the issue. If you're running as a service you need to make sure the destination folder is public, and not a user specific folder that would need permissions. Or you have to go into the service options and set it to have user credentials.
It was cool that on the reinstall it kept my TSN and destination folder. I figured I'd have to input them again.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Dan, I haven’t used Pytivo for quite a while. My hdd recently died and I’m trying to transfer some saved recordings back to my TiVo. Unfortunately, on every recording I’ve tried to transfer, it stops transferring at almost exactly 16 minutes. Then after a while the recording just disappears. I can play it fine up to the 16 minute mark then I get a message that it’s getting more of the show and to wait.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
My apology for being lazy as I imagine the answer is already somewhere here. When I go to upgrade it says I must close the program, I do that, but still no dice. I also closed a couple of processes, but still no go.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Dan, I'm trying to put some TS recordings on a USB stick to put in my LG television. Works fine after I figured out what format to use on the stick (EXFat, no go; Fat32, files too big; NTFS, voila). However, I'm looking for a way to have CC. My TV doesn't seem to recognize any CC with the file. Area where I would have option is greyed out.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Try using ccextractor ccextractor to extract the closed captions from the downloaded file to a .srt file. Maybe that would work. Not really sure what your LG TV supports.
Worked like a charm. Muchas gracias. Simply put the .srt file on the stick with the video file and the LG played the vid with CC. The LG had a tool/screen to sync the CC and that worked well.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Have you tried running them through VideoReDo?

It all depends on how your TV expects the CCs to be stored. For TS they're typically stored in the video frames, but in the US there are two versions of CCs 608 and 708 and it's possible your TV only supports the older 608 captions while most modern HD broadcasts use 708 captions instead. The newer TiVos have caption rendering build into the TiVo itself, so it's doing the decoding and overlay. So there is really no way to know what formats your TV supports when using a USB stick. It may simply not support captions at all. Or it may only support the types of captions in MP4 or MKV files which are completely different formats. (MP4 uses a text track similar to 608 captions, MKV uses SRT which is just plain text with timecodes next to each line)
I converted one file to mkv and that didn't work. I'm satisfied with extracting the CCs and putting them on the stick separately. I'm not doing a lot of this right now, but in the future I may set up an HDD connected to the USB port on the TV as program storage site.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts