TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
Ah, and so the plot thickens, lol.

And so, does this mean that it would be (better), if possible, to download in PS mode, to avoid possible glitches? Or do PS mode's own issues just "balance things out"? Detriments I've read here of PS mode: downloads take longer than with TS mode (is it appreciable?) and lesser resiliency than TS mode if there are download issues.

I know (if I have this right) that PS mode can't be used with MPEG-4 shows. Do I recall correctly that all OTA shows are MPEG-2, so that there would not be an issue with PS mode and OTA? And so that this may be the way to go with downloading OTA shows--unless detriments of PS mode counsel against it? (And my apologies if I've gotten some of this wrong--lots of balls in the air, and possible memory issues here for someone lesser familiar with these technologies.)
When I first installed kmttg and pyTiVo on my HTPC laptop (Windows shows the directories were created on 02/17/16), I went crazy recording extra movies and shows, knowing that I could now offload them for future viewing. I followed as much advice as I could find and used TS (faster, more reliable). Well, months later when I went to view those movies / shows, over 50% (maybe 66%) had glitches and wouldn't complete a pyTiVo download back to the Roamio for viewing. Pissed me off. I switched to PS.

Well, now I have ~2TB+ of PS offloads (via kmttg and HTTPS://TiVo IP) - I don't remember any errors, but I didn't used to use CC but use it almost 100% of the time now. I also just installed Streambaby (WoW! So much easier than pyTiVo to install and get configured; failed to 'automatically' download the tools, just like kmttg did, but that was easily remedied; Thanks again Kevin! :clapping: :handok: :thumbsup:).

Tangent: Back in early 2016 when this was all new to me (I was coming from a decade of ReplayTV 5XXX, DVArchive, WiRNS, Poopli - boy I wish there was a TiVo Poopli :praying:), I experimented with kmttg, pyTiVo *AND* TiVo Desktop. IIRC, @kelson over on AVS Forum once stated that, compared to my Hauppauge PVR-1212 connected between my FiOS Motorola 7100 STB and my HTPC laptop, TiVo didn't do anything before recording the program streams directly on its HDD (while the PVR-1212 encoded / compressed / transformed / wrapped etc... the data first). That led me to believe that multiple downloads of the SAME show using the same FORMAT (PS vs TS), regardless of the 'tool' (kmttg vs TiVo Desktop vs HTTPS://TiVo IP) would result in INDENTICAL files - NOT TRUE! :disappointed:

Recently I downloaded "Sherlock on Masterpiece_s4e3_The Final Problem" three times using HTTPS://TiVo IP to three different HDDs and then performed a few combinations of "FC /B" on them (A-to-B, A-to-C, B-to-C) - no matches. Why is that? What did I misunderstand?

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
I use VRD and sometimes see the glitches. But that is with the old PyTivo version and kmttg. I had an issue with one recently. I tried the transfers from the TiVo several times with kmttg and used VRD on it with the same glitches. At least with VRD I could still watch it. While if I transferred it back with the .tivo file it would stop transferring midway.

With the one title and using the PyTivo desktop, I didn't have the same issue. And was able to transfer back as a .tivo file. No idea if this is normal, but at least in this one instance PyTivo desktop worked better than the old PyTivo I was using. I am switching now to using PyTivo Desktop full time.

Thanks a million for all your work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
@aaronwt,

This sounds almost *EXACTLY* like what happened to me, except I had over 25 failed files and they failed before reaching midway. :mad:

@Dan203,

Is there something different going on in your PyTiVo Desktop such that I could CONFIDENTLY switch back to the "faster, more reliable, better CCs" TS method of transfer?

[Although it's too much for my (fallback) "PassMark 1201 - Intel Pentium E2200 @ 2.20GHz Vista 32-bit 3GB RAM" desktop to handle Streambaby, I may soon be giving up the 'download-back-to-TiVo-before-viewing' scene and switching over to real-time streaming. On the topic of streaming, today I enabled the kmttg web server and attempted to stream a 0:29:56 3.16GB CBS HD comedy to my Lenovo Android tablet. Although (hate to use the same word again so soon in a paragraph :oops: ) Notwithstanding the almost immediate error generated ("Segment file not being created, assuming ffmpeg error"), kmttg continued for the next 70 minutes and created 178 ~2-3MB TS files (each runs for 10 seconds); I selected 'Transcode & Play' - next time I'll just select 'Transcode' and I'll try to 'Play from cache' later...]

P.S. What is PyTiVo Desktop (93,306KB) written in / with that causes its size to be so much greater than kmttg (4,131KB) or pyTiVo (361KB)?

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
The downloads are threaded so you can download and upload simultaneously. However the more network traffic you have the slower it's all going to be, so keep that in mind.

As for decrypting... if you're just archiving for laster upload to a TiVo there is really no reason to decrypt. And if you do need decrypted files later you can always run tivolibre manually.
A technical question:

I have Windows Resource Monitor (along with Task Manager, Process Explorer and NetPerSec) open 24x7 with the CPU and DISK drop-downs expanded. I just used an old program called FileSync to transfer a few thousand small files from my HDD to a flash drive. The time I checked RM, there were 8 different files being transferred simultaneously under one PID. I'm assuming this means (at least) 8 threads were in use. When multiple files are being written to a target simultaneously, does the OS allocate / lock sufficient contiguous sectors beforehand to accommodate the entire file without fragmentation?

Regarding network traffic when uploading and downloading simultaneously, I just discovered "NIC Teaming". Since both my motherboard NIC and a few Rosewill (from Newegg) Gigabit NICs in my 'spares box' have Realtek chips, I'm going to see if I can team two of them and dedicate one to uploads, the other to downloads (saw this in a post somewhere). I know that my current CPU is maxed out with interrupts just doing 'ordinary' stuff, but I do have a "PassMark 7220 - Intel Core i5-4590 @ 3.30GHz - Win7 Pro 64-bit 16GB RAM" desktop that I'm assembling...

Regarding 'delayed' decrypting, for any Newbies reading this, you can also use kmttg FILES and point to a series of .tivo files onto which you can perform a multitude of processes (same checkboxes at top used when offloading from TiVo-to-PC). :cool:

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
The main reason I use TS even for MPEG2 is because PS tends to garble the CC. If I didn't care about CC, I'd uhh... "acquire" them by other means.

While I would be watching archived stuff by transferring back to a TiVo, I still need to decrypt as I am editing them and, in the case of MPEG2 recordings, encoding them to H.264 in mkv container.
Were you ever a "ReplayTV / Poopli" user?

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
You don't "burn" the captions onto the video. You simply embed them into the video file and they can be turned on or off using the CC function of the player software. It works great for me via Plex. I can't speak to whether it works when you embed the captions into a .tivo file and then transfer that back to the TiVo via pyTiVo or kmttg.
A Plex Server is on my (HUGE) "To Do / Round Tuit" list.

Please provide more details or terms I can GOOGLE to narrow down my SEARCH on how what you're describing works ('selectable' CCs). Thanks! :)

@epstewart, in Post #6771 described his effort IN DETAIL back in May 2014 trying to get 'selectable CCs' on his iPad but the resulting file caused his bandwidth requirements to skyrocket. :eek:

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
Thanks, Dan, and for the reminder of the network traffic consideration--my networking speed is so sucky that best not multi-thread.

And to report, the program just continues chugging along through a list of queued shows to be downloaded to my PC, well-behavedly. :) I had queued up a manageable amount of 18 shows originally, just to see how that would be handled.
You *DO* realize that we're talking 'in-house' LAN traffic, i.e. doesn't involve the router, your ISP or the internet one bit...

If, indeed, your 'in-house' LAN networking speed is 'sucky', please describe your layout so that we can fix it. ;)

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
Have you had this problem with pyTivo in the past? Or only TiVo Desktop? If you've had this problem with pyTivo then nothing I've done is likely to change that. My changed to the download portion of the code are minor and unlikely to effect something like this. If you've never tried pyTivo before then I'd recommend you give it a try. It might produce different results then TiVo Desktop since they are very different products.
I was strictly using kmttg (TiVo-to-PC) and pyTiVo (PC-to-TiVo).

I installed TiVo Desktop to 'experiment' and see if the transfer times / file sizes were different - it was all new to me at that time and I didn't fully understand the process. A TS file is a TS file, a PS file is a PS file - regardless of the 'Tool' used to create it.

Now, why 3 separate d/l's of the same show to three different HDDs using the same 'Tool' (HTTPS://TiVo IP PS Format) don't match when compared with FC /B is a question that I'm still seeking the answer to...:disappointed:

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
...Now, why 3 separate d/l's of the same show to three different HDDs using the same 'Tool' (HTTPS://TiVo IP PS Format) don't match when compared with FC /B is a question that I'm still seeking the answer to...:disappointed:
TiVo does the encryption/muxing on the fly, and the way TS works there is a timing element to it. So you could download the same show 3 times using the same tool and they could be different.
Does PS also having a timing element?

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
Now, why 3 separate d/l's of the same show to three different HDDs using the same 'Tool' (HTTPS://TiVo IP PS Format) don't match when compared with FC /B is a question that I'm still seeking the answer to...:disappointed:
No. Program streams are intended for file based content, so they are muxed very differently. Transport streams are intended for broadcast and as such are written in such a way that timing matters, even for file based output. Given the limited hardware capabilities of a TiVo it makes sense that they could have some buffer issues when muxing a TS.
So then my original question regarding three PS files not matching in a binary compare still stands... :confused:

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
...Yeah that's odd if they are PS. Can you compare them in detail and see what changed? Maybe there is a transfer time in the header or something?
Could you suggest a good freeware hex display utility?

Back in 'my day' on WFWG 3.11, I believe I used either Debug or Xtree Gold to view files in hex format.

These files are HUGE, so 'old time' utilities, like Notepad for example, that try to buffer the entire file into memory consequently fail.

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
TS also is better able to get pass transmission errors. In some cases when there is an error in the recording and you try to download as PS the transfer will just stop when it hits the error. TS can usually get past the error and transfer the whole show.
Personally, if I understand this correctly, if the transfer from TiVo-to-PC via PS stops when there is an error, I still have the original file on the TiVo unit.

When TS does one of its silent "Aw crap!" transfers, the original file is LONG GONE and I don't discover the problem until weeks / months later.

PS wins!:thumbsup:

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
Thanks for the help Dan, I did get one other show to transfer fine but this one is 3hrs, 11.06GB so I don't know if that matters. Here's a partial of what console showed, it just kept repeating every second. Hope it helps.

Code:
[URL='http://10.0.1.20:80/download/Snowpiercer.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=17492']http://10.0.1.20:80/download/Snowpiercer.TiVo?Container=/NowPlaying&id=17492
Unhandled exception in thread started by <unbound method ToGo.process_queue>
INFO:pyTivo:127.0.0.1 [22/Apr/2017 08:11:52] "POST /TiVoConnect HTTP/1.1" 200 -
ERROR:pyTivo:Exception in pyTivo
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugins\togo\togo.py", line 623, in process_queue
  File "plugins\togo\togo.py", line 522, in get_tivo_file
  File "plugins\togo\togo.py", line 436, in get_out_file
KeyError: 'episodeTitle'
INFO:pyTivo:127.0.0.1 [22/Apr/2017 08:11:52] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=GetQueueList&Container=ToGo&TiVo=10.0.1.20 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:127.0.0.1 [22/Apr/2017 08:11:52] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=GetQueueList&Container=ToGo&TiVo=10.0.1.20 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:127.0.0.1 [22/Apr/2017 08:11:52] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:127.0.0.1 [22/Apr/2017 08:12:00] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=GetStatus&Container=ToGo&Url=http%3A%2F%2F10.0.1.20%3A80%2Fdownload%2FSnowpiercer.TiVo%3FContainer%3D%252FNowPlaying%26id%3D17492 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:127.0.0.1 [22/Apr/2017 08:12:01] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=GetStatus&Container=ToGo&Url=http%3A%2F%2F10.0.1.20%3A80%2Fdownload%2FSnowpiercer.TiVo%3FContainer%3D%252FNowPlaying%26id%3D17492 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:127.0.0.1 [22/Apr/2017 08:12:02] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=GetStatus&Container=ToGo&Url=http%3A%2F%2F10.0.1.20%3A80%2Fdownload%2FSnowpiercer.TiVo%3FContainer%3D%252FNowPlaying%26id%3D17492 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:127.0.0.1 [22/Apr/2017 08:12:02] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=GetQueueList&Container=ToGo&TiVo=10.0.1.20 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:127.0.0.1 [22/Apr/2017 08:12:02] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 -
Hi @omahajs,

Although the forum still labels you as a 'New Member', I see that you joined over a decade ago.

A tip, when posting things like log files, to prevent the forum software from interpreting certain character sequences as smilies is to bracket the log data in {code} tags (using brackets instead of braces - see your original QUOTE above)

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
Dan, a question: does the pyTivo tray app/background process consume any real amount of resources when pyTivo is not actively downloading/uploading? The reason I ask is, after years of programs "graciously" loading themselves into the background and clogging my PC's, I've gotten into the habit of stopping them from background-loading unless I'm actively using them, with an exception for some utilities that need a "watchful" state.
This is where Windows tools like Task Manager, Resource Monitor, MSConfig come in handy.

When I installed my Brother AIO Inkjet printer, a LOT of extra BS got installed. Coming up the ranks all the way from Epson Dot Matrix (well, to be honest, my *FIRST* printer was an old 150+ lb teletype machine; 300 baud RS-232, rubber ink wheel, spinning print wheel w/ CAPS ONLY, connected to my Netronics Super Elf II Computer Kit w/ RCA COSMAC 1802 processor, 256 BYTES of static RAM, hex keypad for input, Red 7-segment LEDs for Address and Data Bus) to my first AIO, I figured that I'd just let it install everything to get a 'feel' for what it could do. Well, it installed many 'accessories' that I never even touched, so when the print driver somehow failed and I needed to uninstall / re-install, I attempted to restore just what I used. Something called Nuance PaperPort I didn't want, *BUT* every so often it appears in my Task Manager as running - no tray icon, no shortcut, no program sub-directory anymore, *BUT* it's still randomly running. Task Manager gave me a program name (which I re-named) and I think that I've solved it. It was a PITA.

Besides MSConfig, the Registry also has an area for starting up programs (I can only remember RunOnce now; it's next to that...); and then there's also Task Scheduler.

BOTTOM LINE: Do a CNTL-ALT-DEL, start Task Manager and keep an eye on things for a while...

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
If I transfer a recording from TiVo A to the PC using pyTivo, and then transfer that recording to TiVo B, where both TiVos have the same MAK, do I need to decrypt?

I ask because, on the second transfer, I get the blue circle showing on the TiVo for about a minute, then it goes away. The transfer fails with something like "the show was not downloaded ... because it exceeded the expected size".

If decryption is not needed on the initial transfer via pyTivo, can you suggest what might be going on? TiVo A is a Premier XL4, TiVo B is a Roamio Pro. Both are on MoCA, and the PC is on ethernet, running Windows 10.

This is a very promising looking program, thanks for doing this!

Mike

Edit: PS - file size is "roughly" 2GB, but it's an NTFS filesystem, so I don't think that's the culprit.
  1. Decrypt: No
  2. Are you using TS format to transfer from TiVo-to-PC?
    - if yes, that's one of the 'gifts' / surprises with TS; it don't display an error when it's transferring the file, like PS does so you can re-do the transfer while you still have the original show on your TiVo. NO, it waits days / weeks / months / YEARS later when you try to transfer the program back to view it to give you the old error. Try switching to PS for your future transfers.
P.S. You'll find *LOTS* of discussion on this "TS vs PS" topic...

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
No it doesn't need to be decrypted. I'm not sure why you'd have that issue. I've seen people post about getting that error from TiVo Desktop before, but not pyTivo. Are you still running TiVo Desktop? Maybe it's conflicting in some way?
It's not the tool used (kmttg vs TiVo Desktop vs HTTPS://TiVo IP), it's the transfer method selected: TS (faster but 'hidden' errors) vs PS (slower but 'immediate' errors).

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
I had a chance to finally try 1.5.12. I used it to share some of the files I downloaded using kmttg.

When browsing the share, using my Series 2, I realized that the dates listed for the shows seem to be the dates that the files were saved to my PC, rather than the date of the actual recording itself.

I tried transferring one to the Series 2, and then it appeared to show the date of the actual recording, which is good. I only got to try one file so far.

I could leave the recordings on the PC, and transfer/stream them on-demand to my upcoming Bolt. But if I did that, finding the episode that I want to transfer could be tricky, since they'd basically all show some random date.

If I've correctly interpreted the behavior, is there a way to make shared recordings show the dates that they were recorded, vs when they were saved to the PC? Thank you.
From what I've read that's a bug in the way the TiVo itself not on pyTivo's end. So unfortunately there isn't anything I can do to fix it. And the chances of TiVo fixing it are probably pretty slim, since they've abandoned their own Desktop software. Your best bet is probably just to transfer all the shows to the new TiVo and then you can sort by episode number rather then date.
Thanks Dan, that's too bad. I see the file I downloaded using pyTiVo has the date in the filename. My kmttg files do as well, albeit in a different format.

My pyTivo-downloaded file has this at the end:
(Recorded Mar 30, 2015, WBIN) (PS).tivo

My kmttg-downloaded files have this at the end:
(04_09_2017).TiVo

I believe I've seen utilities that can change the dates of files. If I was extremely clever, and/or sufficiently motivated, I could try using something like that to automatically pull from the file names, and adjust the Created or Modified dates (whichever is appropriate) based on that.

But first I need to try transferring shows to the Bolt (once it arrives), to see how labor-intensive that is, for a lot of files. If the Bolt is responsive enough, maybe it won't be too bad.
@Redoctobyr,

Quite a few replies have already been posted on this topic (I was going to just reply, but I decided to check the rest of the thread first - unusual for me! ;) ), so, instead of QUOTE'ng *EVERYBODY*, I'm just going to "Speak my piece":

My initial response, to your question QUOTE'd in Red above, is "No", which depending on your initiative becomes "Sure".
  • TiVo appears to store 2 dates in its metadata:
    1. Original Air Date
    2. Recorded Date / Time
  • While Original Air Date remains 'fixed', Recorded Date / Time changes when you 'Transfer' a file from Recorded Date / Time to Transferred Date / Time.
    • While I'm sure that anyone with enough initiative could utilize a HEX Editor to change this info back to what they want, my K.I.S.S. solution is just to transfer shows in Recorded Date / Time order, such that the Groups (usually) display them in Series / Episode order. i.e. I have transferred a show originally transferred from my Roamio Basic to my Roamio OTA *BACK* to my Roamio Basic so that I could RE-transfer it back to my Roamio OTA in chronological order. *MUCH* simpler, IMHO, that using a HEX Editor.
    • This is the TiVo 'data' available to *ALL* programmers - what they do with that data is up to them...
HTH :)

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
What, are you rich or what? Working on updating free software on a weekend!
In *MY* experience, it's an addiction.

"Way-back-when / in-a-time-LONG-LONG-ago", *BEFORE* Windows, and the IBM-style of PCs, there was CP/M. And, *BEFORE* the "INTERNET", folks had MODEMs and to connect with other folks, you needed to know the PHONE NUMBERs of BBSs (Wild huh? But, bear with me...).

"Back then", *MANY* folks wrote, and then GAVE AWAY their software - this was known as 'Public Domain'. I was one of those folks.

After 'graduating' from my Netronics Super Elf II Kit w/ RCA COSMAC 1802 Processor, 256 *BYTES* of Static RAM, HEX Keypad, Red 7-segment LEDs for Adddress Bus and Data (it eventually progressed to Tiny Basic, 4K RAM, IIRC, and Serial Data Storage to a cassette recorder), I moved onto a Digital Research BigBoard Kit w/ Z-80 Processor, 64K of Dynamic RAM, ASCII keyboard, Shugart 8" 241K SSSD floppies (The DR BigBoard was essentially the same as the 'already-assembled' Xerox 820, sold as a direct competitor to the IBM PC).

There were several RCP/M BBSs available at that time, some written in MBasic, others in Z-80 ASM. I chose one written in Z-80 ASM, and proceeded to 'fork off' a version that THREADED messages (unheard of at that time). Of course, I made it Public Domain, and I supported it with 'every-waking-minute' of my free time (certainly pissed my wife off). When the Xerox warehouse started clearing out unsold 820-I's and II's, I bought 'too many'. The II was available with an optional Shugart 8" 10MB HDD, so I disassembled the BIOS, re-wrote it to accept Quantum 8" 20MB and 40MB HDDs (available inexpensively at the time), bought an EEPROM burner to burn new EEPROMs, and sold a few EEPROMs to cover the cost of the burner. Otherwise, everything else was FREE.

Thus, I completely understand what @Dan203 is doing / feeling... :D :thumbsup:

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
I'm having issues, My tivo sees my shows from PC. I start transfering, and they do transfer at a pretty good speed, I can watch immed. after they start, but then I go back to now showing a bit later, and none are in now playing, and history shows Not Transferred. The file type is (TS).tivo
Am I doing something wrong?
TS vs PS

This is a discussion, that I, although a TiVo user from Series 1, have been absent from until recently, since I bought a pair of Roamios (Basic and OTA, both Lifetime).

TS transfers have the 'hidden' benefit of NOT displaying any error during the TiVo-to-PC transfer. But, then they FAIL days / weeks / months later during the PC-to-TiVo transfer.
  • Folks like @moyekj say "Just buy VRD for $100" and be done with it. (Boy, I've *REALLY* done it now!)
  • Folks like me say "Why?"
SEARCH TCF using my UserID for *MANY* recent posts discussing TS vs PS transfers.

As a "Newbie" to posting, but NOT a "Newbie" re: LURKing, reading, etc..., I'm surprised at the number of 'Old-Timers' that don't understand the ramifications between TS vs PS TiVo-to-PC transfers. You can also SEARCH for UserID @wuzznuubi for his thoughts on this 'Age-Old-But-Hidden' problem.

Sorry Kevin, I do *LOVE* (and appreciate) your programs!

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
Maybe I'm cursed. Here's my experience. Downloaded today's copy of pyTiVo Desktop. Installed on laptop after removing old Desktop.

It found my two basic Roamio units. I downloaded my Sunday's copy of Elementary. It's padded by one hour so it was an 11MB file. Note: old Desktop said this was a one hour program. New program indicated two hours.

Setup share and the folder appeared on my other Roamio. This Roamio and laptop are on the same floor. Easy to watch.

Started transfer from PC to Roamio. It failed at 3 minutes. Error in History: "Download Problem. This show was not downloaded onto this TiVo because it exceeded the expected size".

Went to laptop and downloaded last night's Late Night (no padding) and NCIS (no padding).

Started transfer of Late Night. Same failure at 7 minutes, 14 seconds.

Started transfer of NCIS. No error. 5.63GB and transfer time of 8 min 25 seconds. All times and speeds are from the TiVo's network diagnostics. No other network, TiVo or PC activity during this time.

What next?
I'm sorry Joe, but for someone as detail-oriented as you when describing entries in the TiVo logs, you're really lacking here on the file transfers troubleshooting. :oops: No, you're not cursed, just caught up in a loop.

I'm not even going to talk about anything you've done previous - just from this point forward:
  1. STOP using TS / "Fast" TiVo-to-PC file transfers!
    - I only know kmttg settings so you'll have to get the PS / "Slow" setting from Dan.
  2. Forget about padding vs no padding - doesn't matter. Only TS vs PS matters.
  3. Transfer a show from TiVo-to-PC, using pyTiVo Desktop, using PS / "Slow" transfer format
  4. Transfer that show from PC-to-TiVo, using pyTiVo Deskop
    • If it succeeds, you now have a solution / work flow that works.
    • If it fails, you have bigger problems that we will need to continue to troubleshoot.
IMO, *ALL* of your PC-to-TiVo errors are due to your initial TiVo-to-PC transfer(s) being in TS / "Fast" format, regardless of the tool you used...

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
Ok, color me confused. Like I posted, I installed pyTiVo Desktop as requested. I ran the program. I was presented with My Shows on one Roamio. I saw no location or option to change the TS or PS option. I really wanted it to work, and guess I need to read this entire thread to find the option. No problem. It's not that big. With the old Desktop it was an easy option to find, but I feel it's no longer working unless slow means 90Mbps and fast means 92Mbps. Perhaps that's a clue to my problem? My network isn't perfect, but it's not bad either. I'm open to any pointers. My ego died years ago. :)
Nope, fast or slow has nothing to do with your network (contrary to what you posted earlier, it was my, (possibly incorrect memory), understanding that PS transfers were larger files; maybe it was that it took the TiVo CPU longer to create each packet; whatever the reason, PS transfers (supposedly) take more wall clock time than TS transfers) - everything will continue to transfer at the previous ~93Mbps (the max we all see, allowing for some overhead on a 100Mbps wired connection).

@Dan203, where's your Wiki page listing all of the optional settings for pyTiVo Desktop?

@Mikeguy, you're running it - do you know how to specify PS instead of TS transfers? I haven't had a chance to install it yet...

Thanks! :)

You'll be making successful PS transfers back-and-forth in no time Joe. :)

1 - 20 of 105 Posts