TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
I wish there was another way. With the loss of push there is no longer any way to mass move shows from a PC to a TiVo.
I've been giving some thought recently to a very kludgey way of initiating a PC-TiVo transfer from the PC using the network remote capability.

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
I assume the java has to be 32 bit? I transferred a file to test with and decryption failed. I downloaded the file again (without enabling decryption) and brought up the command line to run my copy of TivoDecoder.jar. That decryption worked fine. As only 64-bit Java is installed on my machine, I assume that is the reason the decryption failed in the first instance?
You might try running tivolibre from a command prompt and see what happens.

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
Does tivolibre use the directshow.dll? Is it possible that the way it is being launched from within pytivo creates an access problem?

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
I restarted it a third time and this time the video folder showed up.

EDIT: But I can't transfer it to teh TiVo. I see the folder and the show son teh TiVo., And it says it will transfer after whatever, but I don;t see where it's transferring.

It's working great using the PC and transferring from the TiVo to the PC.
Do you have ffmpeg.exe, either in the pytivo\bin folder or have pointed pyTivo to it?

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
Really? It's been a long time since I tested this, so things may have changed, but I remember there was a time when TTG transfers lost certain data like the episode numbers, actors, guest stars, etc... while MRV transfers retained them.
It was true for pushes, but even that was mostly fixed, at least in the HDUI, especially if you added [<programId>] to the beginning of the description.

It was never really true for pulls when using the SDUI and fixed for the HDUI after programId was added to the pyTivo metadata.

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
I am a total newbie to this software but I got it up and running and added a video share, saved it, and rebooted pyTiVo--where would I see the share on my TiVo Roamio? Was looking around in various places but can't seem to find the folder anywhere.
Should be at the bottom "My Shows".

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
I was able to get this working, thanks so much Dan203, this is awesome!!

I tried adding metadata to the files I sent to my TiVo by adding a *.txt file with the same name as the movie in the same folder and details included but nothing came over. Does this version of pyTiVo not work with metadata? And is there a place where we users can search for metadata to match up movies we have?
The metadata file name needs to include the extension of the video file. For example, if the video is "Some Movie.mpg", the metadata file name needs to be "Some Movie.mpg.txt".

Edit: You might consider using Metagenerator 3

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
Thanks again for the tip, I just have been using it but what I noticed is that the programID is blank for everything I look up. And if I understand how this works properly, embedding that programID in the *.txt file is what will make the TiVo pull in the image when browsing through movies correct?
Yes. Do you have an example of something you are looking up?

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
There are reports that the decryption process can introduce small glitches into the video that are not there when playing the original .tivo file. But I'm not sure how frequent they are. I personally always just download as .tio and then edit in VideoReDo, which uses a different method for decryption and doesn't seem to cause the same glitches.
The glitches, if any, are there on the .tivo file if you download in TS mode. They're almost certainly created by the TiVo when it transmits the file and is possibly some kind of weird timing issue as the glitch usually moves if you redo the download. VRD handles them better than tivolibre, at least IMHO.

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
That must be why I don't notice them. I've always used VRD to decrypt/edit.
I use VRD for most everything except the download and the glitches are still there. When I first encountered the problem, I tried tivolibre for decryption and it was worse.

Edit: I also used VRD to directly edit the .tivo file and the glitch(es) were there.

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
The main reason I use TS even for MPEG2 is because PS tends to garble the CC. If I didn't care about CC, I'd uhh... "acquire" them by other means.

While I would be watching archived stuff by transferring back to a TiVo, I still need to decrypt as I am editing them and, in the case of MPEG2 recordings, encoding them to H.264 in mkv container.

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
You can "acquire" content by other means and then add the CC file manually. There are many sites out there with the CC files and adding them to the video file is pretty simple in Handbrake.
You cannot actually add CC manually, at least not by any viable method I know about and I have looked. You can take an srt file and "burn" the captions onto the video, but that is not the same thing, and is a major PITA. There is also a way to have ffmpeg do it during the pyTivo transfer but that has some problems also.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts