TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Dan203, thank you very much for making this! I'm new to pyTivo, but with your version from a few days ago, 1.5.5, I was able to get it installed, and working, without fuss or incident. Both on a Win7 laptop, and a Win10 laptop.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask questions, please tell me if I should ask somewhere else. I just ordered a Bolt to replace my pair of Series 2s.

Before it arrives, I'm trying to copy my recorded shows off the Series 2s, so that I can transfer them to the new Bolt. I have 2 different units, both with upgraded storage, so there are several hundred recordings total.

I have successfully copied some shows to my computer so far. I want to start getting them pulled off the old machines, which will be deactivated 10 days after setting up the Bolt. I have two basic pyTivo questions, I'm hoping someone can help:
- Is it possible to select the recordings in-bulk, to queue them for transferring? I can go folder-by-folder, file-by-file, but if there's a good way to select groups of files all at once, that would be great. Even if I had to pull them using other software, perhaps (TiVo Desktop?).
- Can pyTiVo push them from my computer to the new Bolt, in bulk? I don't currently see any Push options, I can only share a folder using pyTivo. Then I'd have to individually select each one to be pulled, using the TiVo, which would be quite cumbersome. Will I see a Push option in pyTivo when the Bolt is available on my network? I don't know if maybe the Series 2s don't support Push, perhaps.

Please forgive the basic questions. Like I said, I'm brand new to pyTivo, which seems like a very cool program. Thank you.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thank you guys for the replies. That's unfortunate about not being able to push things to a TiVo any more.

Shame on me if I don't at least ask the question: is there any good way to transfer lots of recordings to the new Bolt? Maybe the current TiVo UI, with faster hardware, makes it practical to select a LOT of shows to pull from a computer. But with my Series 2s, at least, that would be a pretty painful process to get started for all the recordings.

My Bolt hasn't shipped yet, there is apparently a big rush of similar orders from other people who used this Bolt promotion. So I may not even get it for a week or so, I'm not sure. If it was practical to add group-selecting to the pyTivo UI, that would be awesome. And I will try to take a look at kmttg, thanks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Not really. In fact since you're going to have to pull them one by one anyway you might be better off just waiting for the new TiVo to arrive and doing a direct TiVo to TiVo transfer instead. Those transfers are a bit faster because they don't require the same encryption to be applied as when transferring to a PC. They also retain more of the original metadata then going to the PC first.
Interesting, thanks. I was thinking to transfer the recordings before the Bolt arrives, because the process might take quite a long time. With USB->Ethernet adapters, my slower Series2 transfers to the PC at around 3Mbps, the faster one is roughly 5Mbps, it seems. And the unit will remain active for 10 days after setting up the Bolt, so I have something of a time limit to work within.

So I figured I'd get started now, to at least have the recordings available on the PC, then later I could work out transferring them to the Bolt.

·
Registered
313 Posts
That's probably a good idea. I forgot that those S2 units were so slow.

How many recordings do you have on the S2? Are you sure they're all things you want to keep? Once you switch over to HD you may find it hard to watch those old SD recordings. Once you get the Bolt you may want to look for alternate airings of these shows rather then transferring the old SD versions from your S2.

One more possibility... the Bolt supports Plex. If you decrypt the transfers from your TiVo then you could organize them into Plex folders and simply stream them from the PC as needed, rather then transferring them back over.
There are 300+ recordings saved to keep until I delete. Are they all needed? No, probably not, but many are shows my wife watches, so I don't get to simply decide what gets deleted, there is a committee involved :) Transferring them is the simplest approach to a smooth transition, at least for now.

Good info on Plex, thank you. And even without that, it seems like maybe I could share them from the PC, allowing streaming them that way. My preference would be to just copy them to the Bolt, so I don't have to keep a share running, but that's definitely an option, and it's also simpler to manage at the moment.

I have started trying kmttg, it appeared to easily allow selecting a bunch of recordings to queue for transfer to the PC, which is a useful place to start.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wow, very cool, thank you Dan! I will install the new version. Thank you for adding this feature.

I am trying kmttg at the moment, but it's great to have options. As pyTivo can also handle the sharing, it may be better for me to simply use pyTivo for both functions.

I hope this isn't a dumb question. But I'm currently running pyTivo on my laptop, since it's easier to manage on that, vs my desktop PC that's hooked up to the TV (it doesn't have a separate monitor, so it's tougher to use while we're watching TV). Is it possible to use a network mapped drive letter, or network folder, as the TiVo Recordings Folder? That could give more flexibility for what computer runs the software, vs where the big files are stored. I only seem to see my local drives as an option.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mapped drive will definitely work. Not sure about shares. I'd have to look at the code to see if it handles the slash slash syntax for SMB shares.
Thank you. When using 1.5.5, selecting my storage location in Win7, I clicked on the "..." button, and the only drives that appeared in the list on the left were my local drives. I couldn't select a mapped network drive. But when I went back to the "Tivo recordings folder" page of the settings, I discovered that I can copy/paste a mapped drive location into the "Tivo recordings folder" field. I now have it using a network drive, which is very helpful.

I will try to install the new version tonight, to try group transfers.

·
Registered
313 Posts
All I did was map a network driver and then in the settings I just put in the drive letter and path and it worked correctly. The directory selector only shows local drives.
Nice. I hadn't realized originally that the selector only showed certain items, but that you could also enter other paths yourself, at the first screen. That's really nice.

I just tried transferring half a dozen shows in a group. And it had no issues transferring from the TiVo Bolt to the PC.

EDIT: Transfer rates seem to be decent. Around 300Mb/s.
I guess that's the difference that 12-14 years of hardware makes! Getting a transfer rate of 300-500Mbps and calling it decent, vs you blowing my mind with that kind of speed :) I'm getting roughly 3Mbs and 5-6Mbps from my different Series 2s. So things have come a LONG way, apparently! That's amazing. Some of my home network is gigabit, but some is still 100Mbit. If that started to limit me, I could upgrade another switch to bring more of it up to gigabit speed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Dan, I installed 1.5.7 last night. Thank you for the transfer-folder and transfer-all buttons, those make bulk transfers much easier to start!

I don't have much history with 1.5.5 to compare with, but I recall the 1.5.5 transfer queue showing things correctly. Last night I uninstalled 1.5.5 and installed 1.5.7.

With 1.5.7, I told it to transfer a folder of 5 shows. The queue number in the corner originally showed "5". Then when I clicked on it to view the list, it showed nothing, or maybe 1 item. Tried again, showed nothing. Tried again, then it showed 1 item, and the queue # in the corner changed from 5 to 1 at one point. Then back to 5, but the actual list wasn't showing 5 items.

I let it run overnight, I'm pretty sure I didn't manually try to cancel any transfers. But this morning there were 3 shows in the folder, not 5. I have it running again at the moment, transferring those 5 again, to see how it does this time, I'll check tonight when I get home.

This may just be something with my computer, but it seemed worth mentioning.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hmmm... Not sure what could have happened there. If you can reporduce it let me know and I'll investigate. If not I'll chalk it up to a one time fluke.
Thanks Dan. I checked last night, and this time it only transferred 1 of the 5 shows, vs the 3 it had transferred the first time. Now, the computer hosting the mapped network drive was running slowly, maybe it caused some trouble.

I tried setting it to save to my laptop's local drive, vs the network, to simplify the setup. It said "restarting pyTivo". But when I told it to transfer the 5 shows again, I discovered they were still being saved to the mapped network drive, though the Settings page *did* show that it should be saving to my local drive.

I set the path to the local location again, manually closed pyTivo completely, ran it again, and this time it correctly transferred the 5 shows, saving them to my local drive. Soon I should be able to try transferring a large quantity of shows, to see how that goes.

Is there a log or something that can tell me if any transfers failed? If I tell it to transfer 100 items, and only 98 make it, I'm trying to figure out the best way to detect that. Just telling it to transfer them all again, to be safe, won't work, since it seems to create duplicates called "(2)". I have "Debugging log" enabled, but I'm not sure where that file is stored, or what it contains.

·
Registered
313 Posts
For what it's worth, I don't think I have Bonjour installed, and pyTivo found both of my TiVos without any hassle, as I recall. I don't have Apple products, or iTunes installed, and I don't see Bonjour listed in Add/Remove Programs.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks, Mikeguy. I got the same thing last night, installing 1.5.8 on a Win10 laptop that I don't use often. But I figured it's probably something with the computer. I realized after installing that the machine in question doesn't even have Java yet. I installed Java (so that I could use kmttg), and the next time I started pyTivo, I didn't get the error. I thought maybe it was Java-related, but I hadn't dug into it yet, or tried it again.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Dan, thank you again for all the work you've put into pyTivo. It's very cool, and extremely accessible. Installation was a breeze, which makes it more practical for people to use.

I haven't gotten to try any of the new versions for a few days, however. I'm trying to transfer everything off my S2s, and am currently using kmttg for that, as giant transfers of everything. It will take about a week for one S2 and two weeks for the other. I'm trying to avoid "rocking the boat" during that time, so I'm not currently swapping my TiVo software around, or asking the S2s to start other transfers.

But I will try to check out the new version once one machine finishes, to see if the DLL error went away, etc. Thank you for being so responsive to issues that people encounter, and to be open to adding new features, like bulk transfers, or putting Suggestions in a folder.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was about to post about this too. I have 1.5.11 installed, it's asking about 1.5.12. I hit "No", since I don't want to update at the moment, and the box keeps popping up again, prompting me to update. I've hit No a bunch of times, just to see if it would stop asking after a few, and it keeps coming back. Hopefully it can be tweaked to wait a day, etc, before asking again.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had a chance to finally try 1.5.12. I used it to share some of the files I downloaded using kmttg.

When browsing the share, using my Series 2, I realized that the dates listed for the shows seem to be the dates that the files were saved to my PC, rather than the date of the actual recording itself.

I tried transferring one to the Series 2, and then it appeared to show the date of the actual recording, which is good. I only got to try one file so far.

I could leave the recordings on the PC, and transfer/stream them on-demand to my upcoming Bolt. But if I did that, finding the episode that I want to transfer could be tricky, since they'd basically all show some random date.

If I've correctly interpreted the behavior, is there a way to make shared recordings show the dates that they were recorded, vs when they were saved to the PC? Thank you.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks Dan, that's too bad. I see the file I downloaded using pyTiVo has the date in the filename. My kmttg files do as well, albeit in a different format.

My pyTivo-downloaded file has this at the end:
(Recorded Mar 30, 2015, WBIN) (PS).tivo

My kmttg-downloaded files have this at the end:
(04_09_2017).TiVo

I believe I've seen utilities that can change the dates of files. If I was extremely clever, and/or sufficiently motivated, I could try using something like that to automatically pull from the file names, and adjust the Created or Modified dates (whichever is appropriate) based on that.

But first I need to try transferring shows to the Bolt (once it arrives), to see how labor-intensive that is, for a lot of files. If the Bolt is responsive enough, maybe it won't be too bad.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You want the date in the file name? Try the new sortable name option on the ToGo tab in settings. That will make the filename look like this...

ShowName - 2017-04-30 - "Episode title" (CHANNEL) (TS).tivo
Cool, thanks, I wasn't sure what that check-box did.

But what I had in mind was slightly different. I was thinking about trying to find a way to have some sort of utility software alter the file Creation or Modification dates of the PC files, based on the date text that's in the file name.

Something that would let TiVo display/sort the shared files on the PC using their recorded dates, rather than using the dates when they were saved to the PC. Since, from what I could see, when viewing the Share contents, TiVo was displaying the dates of the files themselves, rather than the dates when they were recorded, and was sorting them that way. So the order in which you are viewing the list of shared recordings is rather arbitratry, and is not chronological.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am downloading the metadata as well. From my very-brief testing, it seems that once I download the show from the PC, over to my other TiVo, the metadata is included.

But if I'm using the TiVo to browse the contents of my pyTivo share (consisting of kmttg-transferred files, stored on my PC), the list seems to be:
- not grouped (despite groups being enabled for this list on my Series 2).
- sorted by the date that the file was transferred. So things show a date from a few days ago, when I copied them over, rather than from several months ago, when they were recorded.

This isn't intended as complaining about pyTivo. It *is* an observation, so I can at least learn if I'm doing something wrong, etc, or also learn if this is simply how it works.

Interestingly, I just checked a file that I transferred using pyTiVo, rather than kmttg. This is saved into a different share folder, so that I can keep them clear. This (singular) file *did* show its recorded date in the list, when browsing from the TiVo. It did not show the date that I transferred it, like the kmttg files.

FWIW, I used kmttg to transfer the files largely for one reason. Dan, you added the ability to bulk-transfers with 1 click, which is awesome, thank you! But I realized that kmttg gives the option to skip existing files, by specifying to not over-write them. So if I had to start a big transfer again (like when my laptop rebooted itself), I could just tell kmttg to transfer everything, again. Files that were already downloaded would simply be skipped. I didn't have to go through the list looking for what had already copied, or spend time downloading duplicates (my Series 2s transfer very slowly).

If pyTivo had the ability to look for existing file names, and skip those, that could be a big help. Downloading a folder could act more as a "get new recordings" function, rather than making duplicates of existing recordings.

(Edit- sorry, originally my message was shown here twice. I deleted the accidental dupicate copy.)

·
Registered
313 Posts
So far as I can tell, I'm not doing anything besides downloading the files, in either software. I'm not decrypting them, or re-encoding them to a different video format in kmttg, etc. I do have each one set to save the metadata as a text file. The files that pyTivo downloads have PS in the file name, and in kmttg, "Download files using Transport Stream format" is un-checked. And I think I read that Series 2s don't support TS format anyhow.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Dan,

Your unquestioned willingness to customize pyTiVo Desktop is just so... beyond words.. appreciated doesn't cover it, but maybe a search of a thesaurus will help me. :)

Thank you. :clapping:
Well said! And agreed 100%, thank you Dan, for incorporating feedback, and continuing to develop and improve software that you're kind enough to distribute for free. That is awesome.

I'd transferred all my shows using kmttg. I'm currently transferring them again using pyTivo, in the hopes of making the share easier to browse from the TiVo (it seems like they show up sorted by recording date, vs the file-transferred date for my kmttg files).

Unfortunately, I had to reboot my router last night, which interrupted the pyTivo laptop that's on WiFi. Its transfers stopped, and would not resume again on their own. Cancelling just the show that was stuck didn't help it pick up with the next show, either.

I had to fully shut down and restart pyTivo to get it working again. Figuring out where the transfers had stopped wasn't bad, since it apparently started with the oldest recording, and was working its way up (that really helped me out!). So once I found the interrupted transfer, I knew I needed everything above it, in the list.

Two questions:
- Could pyTivo figure out if a file in the transfer queue already exists on the PC? A setting to let us skip existing files would let you grab new recordings easily, by just saying transfer everything. The last time I tried this, it started making a second copy of existing recordings, which wastes time and disk space.
- The interface may not lend itself to this, but would it be possible to allow selecting "from this file to that one", in the list? Like, in Explorer, when you click a file, then shift+click another one, to select everything in-between? Being able to shift-select, and control-select, would make it easier to select a batch of things to transfer. This would be simpler than individually selecting the 70 remaining files that I needed to set for transferring last night.

Thank you.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Dan, I just tried installing 1.6.1 on a Win10 laptop. The Setup program remembered the existing path where I've been saving the files, but it refused to accept it, saying I needed to specify a valid path.

This is a mapped network drive letter, with a folder path after that. It's accessible, and I've been saving things to it with 1.5.15. I noticed that if I did Browse at this page of the 1.6.1 Setup, my mapped network drives did not appear in that list. The computer had just been restarted. I booted it up, then plugged in the Ethernet cable, changing over from (and disabling) WiFi. But Windows shows my mapped network drives.

I did not think to try installing it while specifying a path my C: drive, and then changing it back to the mapped network drive after pyTivo was actually running normally. I had to leave it running my current 1.5.15, to keep things working while I try to finish transferring shows off my Series 2s, before they get deactivated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts