TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FUBAR
4,952 Posts
Something like tivodecode-ng or tivolibre code needs to be integrated in as well because you currently can't decrypt H.264 .tivo files to native with pyTivo (e.g. Tivo-to-PC transfers on Comcast). I don't think wmcbrine ever released a version that handles them but kmttg handles them just fine with tivolibre.

BTW music playback from pyTivo is still broken on the Roamios. Tivo broke it with 20.6.3.

·
FUBAR
4,952 Posts
The biggest advantage to pyTivo over TiVo Desktop is it's transcoding and file format capabilities. TD supports a very limited number of formats/codecs for source files. Even if you have Plus. pyTivo supports way more formats and allows you to transfer almost anything to the TiVo.
Yep, I've even gotten HEVC h.265 mkv's to work. If ffmpeg supports the format for transcoding you can watch it on a Tivo, generally speaking.

·
FUBAR
4,952 Posts
It's a UI issue. Even in TE3 the UI for transferring from PC to TiVo drops back to the old 4:3 style UI. They didn't want any of that in TE4 and by that time TiVo Desktop was long dead so they had no incentive to redo the UI.

From my understanding TiVo Desktop died because they had some falling out with the third party developer that worked on it. They even asked me if I'd be interested in taking over the project at one point. But I was super busy at the time and couldn't take it on. Apparently they never found anyone else and just let it die instead.
The UI isn't the issue IMO, they converted everything else and could have easily done so with transfers. The problem was that they didn't want Tivo Desktop anymore and didn't care about all the users here and elsewhere that used pyTivo etc. Another Tivo fail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts