TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I'm currently working on a new UI for it which includes the transfer from TiVo part. The current version only allows that via the web interface which isn't 100% functional due to a TiVo bug that causes it's pagination to fail is you have a lot of streaming One Passes.

The current version is most useful for sharing stuff from your PC to you TiVo. The next version will include the interface for transferring from the TiVo to the PC.
I've exercised restraint asking about the status, Dan, as you had said that work was busy . . . . ;) But, looking forward--

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
So you had all 3 boxes checked? That's the problem. The version of tivodecode I include with the package doesn't work with TS files. So you can't have both the TS option and the decrypt options checked at the same time.

In the next release I'm going to update the version of tivodecode I include in the package so this isn't an issue. Although from what I understand the version of tivodecode that supports ts is not 100% and can introduce some corruption into the file, so it's probably still not something that should be used. But at least it wont crash.
I haven't installed yet, but for some of us who are TS-understanding challenged, it might make sense to put some warning, etc. there, if not there already.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I thinking about possible feature enhancements going forward and I'm wondering if there is anything you guys wish this did that it doesn't do now?

One idea I had was automatic downloads. So you could set up a series to automatically download new episodes to your PC when they completed. Not sure how useful that would be to people, but I think it would be relatively easy to do.
And so, that would be the equivalent of an auto-archive, which could be handy for shows that you know you want to archive. Would be handy.
Another: automatic commercial edit?

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Just a word of thanks (and a few questions) for this wonderful install! :) Download the program file, install it in a minute or 2, and there it just is. Kudos!

A few questions with respect to the downloading of shows to one's PC, as I get my feet wet:

If the tivo-libre decrypt option is checked on, does the program retain both the original .tivo file and the decrypted version, or is the .tivo file deleted? Could be handy having an option for both--one for transferring to a TiVo box later and the other for easy PC use. (Of course, if the .tivo file is deleted, one instead simply could run the program without decrypting and decrypt later, as desired.) Also, if one has queued up a number of shows for download, does having the decrypt option turned on delay downloading, or does the decrypting process occur simultaneously with the downloading of the next show? And is the decrypting a lengthy process (I haven't used that option yet)?

When the save metadata to text file option is checked on, where is the text file created (or am I misunderstanding this option)? And does this otherwise affect the downloaded file, such as stripping out metadata (I assume not)?

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I guess that's the difference that 12-14 years of hardware makes! Getting a transfer rate of 300-500Mbps and calling it decent, vs you blowing my mind with that kind of speed :) I'm getting roughly 3Mbs and 5-6Mbps from my different Series 2s.
I feel your pain, with similar over wireless. :( I swear, my router just wants a nice, slow, good life . . . .

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
The decryption happens on the fly now, so there is no .tivo file to save.

Yes it creates a .txt file with the metadata in the format that pyTivo uses for return. So if you check this option and the decrypt option you'll still have all the info you need to return the file back to your TiVo.
Thanks, Dan. For some reason, in my first use of the program on a folder of 4 shows, only 1 metadata file was created. This may have been a result of my laptop having gone to sleep in the course of the downloads (I'm now using a small utility to keep the laptop live, when using the program) and my re-queueing the shows for download--the downloading of a separate folder without interruption has gone smoothly, with all the metadata files being created.

A question about decrypting (which I've done but am not very familiar with): does the process affect the quality of the underlying video, such that it would be better to transfer back to a TiVo box a .tivo file rather than a decrypted file + metadata file? Any other differences between the 2 alternatives?

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
There are reports that the decryption process can introduce small glitches into the video that are not there when playing the original .tivo file. But I'm not sure how frequent they are. I personally always just download as .tio and then edit in VideoReDo, which uses a different method for decryption and doesn't seem to cause the same glitches.
Thanks, Dan, that's helpful. And so decrypting is more than just an "unlock" of the file.

I guess, then, if one principally is looking to download shows from a TiVo box for later transfer to another and/or for archiving purposes, the best practice would be not to decrypt (and then decrypt a copy from the download later if one wants enhanced access to the recording on a PC).

One question just occurred to me, as I'm experimenting some: can the program be used to both download and upload simultaneously, or can multiple instances of the program be run to do so? (I'd try it right now, but have a long queue of shows being downloaded and don't want to do something to mess with that.)

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
The glitches, if any, are there on the .tivo file if you download in TS mode. They're almost certainly created by the TiVo when it transmits the file and is possibly some kind of weird timing issue as the glitch usually moves if you redo the download. VRD handles them better than tivolibre, at least IMHO.
Ah, and so the plot thickens, lol.

And so, does this mean that it would be (better), if possible, to download in PS mode, to avoid possible glitches? Or do PS mode's own issues just "balance things out"? Detriments I've read here of PS mode: downloads take longer than with TS mode (is it appreciable?) and lesser resiliency than TS mode if there are download issues.

I know (if I have this right) that PS mode can't be used with MPEG-4 shows. Do I recall correctly that all OTA shows are MPEG-2, so that there would not be an issue with PS mode and OTA? And so that this may be the way to go with downloading OTA shows--unless detriments of PS mode counsel against it? (And my apologies if I've gotten some of this wrong--lots of balls in the air, and possible memory issues here for someone lesser familiar with these technologies.)

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Ah, I had forgotten about the CC issue with PS. Adding that to the list of PS/TS pro's and con's, if one wants to keep matters simple, it's going back to sounding like TS downloading is the way to go, absent (hopefully) glitches as an issue.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
The downloads are threaded so you can download and upload simultaneously. However the more network traffic you have the slower it's all going to be, so keep that in mind.

As for decrypting... if you're just archiving for laster upload to a TiVo there is really no reason to decrypt. And if you do need decrypted files later you can always run tivolibre manually.
Thanks, Dan, and for the reminder of the network traffic consideration--my networking speed is so sucky that best not multi-thread.

And to report, the program just continues chugging along through a list of queued shows to be downloaded to my PC, well-behavedly. :) I had queued up a manageable amount of 18 shows originally, just to see how that would be handled.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts