TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a DVR-R10 for my DirecTV service. I have a round dual-lnb dish that was connected directly to the R10 with one RG6. Everything worked fine.

Today I bought a multiswitch from Radio Shack and connected the single cable from the dish to one input and two RG6 cables from the outputs to the R10. Now I get only the odd transponders, and a message that says "101* (A) right side not detected"

My question is, must I have both connections from the LNB to the multiswitch? If so, why did it work before and what does the multiswitch do to only receive half?

Basically, I only want one connection from the LNB to the switch (so I don't have to run 2 cables) and split them to the R10, as well as have the ability to connect a third output to another receiver.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maharg18 said:
Yes, both connections must be running from the dish to the multiswitch.

The reason being is because the multiswitch requires seperate inputs for the even and odd transponders, that way every output of the multiswitch is able to access those transponders at any time.

You CAN look into a stacker/destacker combo, but they are very expensive, and should only be used if it is impossible to run a 2nd line.
Thanks Maharg, but that just seems asinine. I could have saved dough and just run a line from the second LNB to the second R10 input.

The only advantage to the switch is if I want a second remote receiver.

Designing a switch that would allow one input and two outputs can't be that difficult.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JimSpence said:
See the FAQ sticky at the top of the forum for how this stuff works.

To me, if a multiswitch has two inputs then that must mean something. :)
Yes, like maybe two DIFFERENT inputs???

If I can run a receiver off a single line (LNB), how difficult can it be to split that signal???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.