TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! My new TiVo DVR-2 80 Gb reboots regularly at least once a day when it is connected to my wireless network.

Removing the wireless adapter causes the reboots to stop.

I'm using the new TiVo wireless G adapter. It's an unmodified DVR.

I've called customer service twice. I'm afraid I have to report that they were not helpful at all. After waiting for half an hour to speak to someone they really could only read from their script - and my problem wasn't on their script. They transferred me to someone else where I was told I had to wait at least another half hour. I gave up.

Has anyone else had any luck with either getting help from TiVo on this issue or have they been able to find a solution independently? Thanks for any advice you can give.

(I really like the device, despite the fact that there is little Apple support and it doesn't work very well so far. But it sure makes TV watching more fun.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TiVoJerry said:
Were you speaking with Humax or TiVo CS? If it was TiVo CS, send me a PM with your case and contact information and I will send the case back to the agents with the recommendation that they replace the adapter.
Thanks. It's a TiVo branded DVR and a TiVo branded wireless adapter. I'll PM you the case information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The router/wireles access point is an Apple Airport Extreme base station set up to use 40bit WEP. There are three Apple computers on the wireless network and a file server on the wired portion.

There doesn't seem to be any correlation with the state of other devices on the network and the rebooting that I can discern.

The TiVo adapter is using the G protocol, but the Access point is set to allow either B or G.

The TiVo has no trouble connecting to the network or getting online and downloading content. Because I'm using Apples I can't tell if the adapter works with Tivo-to-go or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bedelman said:
Are any of the wireless Macs using an older Airport card (one that only does 802.11b)?
No - they are all less than a year old (I decided to switch last spring). They all using the Airport Extreme cards.

The only "b" device on the network is my daughter's NitendoDS but that is not turned on at the time of the reboots. (I checked.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
windracer said:
You could still use the web interface to check that though, right? login with username 'tivo' and your MAK as the password.
I've been able to see the TiVo via bonjour networking, but I didn't know the username and password to get into it. Thanks. I'll give it a try.

I'm going to return and exchange the wireless adapter to see if it the cause - or if the issue is with the DVR. (Or with a software glitch...)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick update: I'm still attempting to speak with someone at TiVo who can effect an exchange. I had a call from a CS rep earlier this week but wasn't home at the time. I've called back three times so far, but I keep getting half hour or greater hold times, and not having that much time to waste I've given up on the calls.

I did manage to get through quickly today, but was told that I had to be transferred to another agent because the person I spoke with was not able to help me. And guess what - I'm on hold for an estimated wait time of 30 minutes. Yay.

Hopefully the exchanged unit won't have these problems. If I have to spend another week trying to get through to a live agent who can do something, I think I'll give up and ebay my machine.

I do appreciate TiVoJerry's help with this. I wonder why the wait times for an agent have been so long? Is this normal?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
One more update: -
The replacement adapter I ordered about a month ago didn't ship. They've apparently run out of them. (I of course was not informed.)

They have no idea when any more of the adapters are expected according to the customer service person I spoke with today.

This is actually getting funny.

So in the meantime, I've wasted money purchasing from Tivo and then wasted more money by paying in advance for the exchange.

In the interest of wasting even more money... has anyone gotten a wireless adapter to work? I'm leery of trying to get a Tivo one given my experience. The other recommended ones are no longer manufactured as best I can tell.

Is there any collective wisdom about the best alternative? I've already gone the route of going down to Best Buy and digging through the piles of adapter looking for the magic serial numbers. No joy. I've wasted enough time trying to get this to work and all I really want at this point is a solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.