TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 225 Posts

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
Does this do an actual backup of Premieres and has it been fully tested, as in restoring to a bigger drive, like a 746320 to a 1tb/2tb?

This is a first I heard of backup/restore for Premieres since WinMFS.
It will backup and restore but it doesn't expand. You could restore a 746320 to a 2TB drive then use JMFS to expand and supersize. I have tested it on an XL (748) and OLED S3 (648)

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
Interesting about the SD card. Both my laptops have nothing in the SD card slot and I haven't got that error. However I never tested it with a card in the slot. But your error is with nothing in the slot. I wonder if your setup shows empty drives being mounted.

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
What version of the Premieres do you have?

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
Got it. No biggie. If we can get the drive usable again I can put it back in the tivo, do a series marathon catch up. *facepalm* on my screw-up.
Can you examine block 0. If you can then pm me the hex image to see if that is what is messed up.

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
Will do tonight on the superblock. I'm assuming I can mount my tivo drive through osx to a centos vm, otherwise ill see about Darwin ports for osx.
Easiest thing to do is use iBored to look at the drive. If you have the VHD already made, then have windows attach the VHD instead of attaching the actual drive. Attach the VHD as readonly.

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
Tell me more about expanding an OLED S3 to a 2TB drive - I have a couple that are at 1TB that I wouldn't mind expanding.
The OLED S3 should have version 11.0k of the software running. Use WinMFS to copy the drive to a 2TB drive. Tell it no to expand it right after the copy then use MFSAdd inside WinMFS to expand the drive. Make sure to say no to limit it to 1TB. That's it. I have tried it from the native drive and from a 1TB drive to 2TB and I get the same partition sizes in the end.. Most of all, it works in my OLED S3.

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
I don't have enough posts to send a PM, so I'll post this here. Screenshot attached.
Block 0 is definitely not a kosher Premiere block 0. If you can also post some pics of the first few blocks of the APM as well that would be good.

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
Would be able to get ggieseke one of those TP4 images?

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
Here's my current partition map:

Code:
Partition Maps
 #:                  type name                            length base      ( size  )
  1   Apple_partition_map Apple                               [email protected]         (  31.5K)
  2                 Image Bootstrap 1                          [email protected] ( 512.0 )
  3                 Image Kernel 1                          [email protected] (   4.0M)
  4                  Ext2 Root 1                          [email protected] ( 256.0M)
  5                 Image Bootstrap 2                          [email protected] ( 512.0 )
  6                 Image Kernel 2                          [email protected] (   4.0M)
  7                  Ext2 Root 2                          [email protected] ( 256.0M)
  8                  Swap Linux swap                      [email protected] ( 256.0M)
  9                  Ext2 /var                            [email protected] ( 256.0M)
 10                   MFS MFS application region          [email protected] ( 288.0M)
 11                   MFS MFS media region             [email protected] ( 103.4G)
 12                   MFS MFS application region 2        [email protected] ( 288.0M)
 13                   MFS MFS media region 2           [email protected]        ( 128.1G)
 14                   MFS MFS App by Winmfs                 [email protected] (   1.0M)
 15                   MFS MFS Media by Winmfs         [email protected] (1024.0G)

Total SA SD Hours: 1404	Total DTV SD Hours: 1226	 98 % Free
Software: 11.0k-01-2-648	Tivo Model: TCD648250B
What does your 2TB partition map look like?
The partition map is exactly the same except the size of partition 15 is 1.6TB.

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
I'm getting a new unit later this week. I'm trying to figure out what steps to take. My thought is to run guided setup, pair my cable cards, do enough connections to make sure my software is current, copy my SPs then do a truncated backup.

Would there be any advantage to doing a full backup? At what step in the process?
What unit are you getting. If it is new or an official factory refurbished unit I would do a full backup before powering on the unit. Then run through the guided setup which will update the software usually and then pair the CableCARD. Then do a truncated backup.

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
I backed up my original drive using DvrBARS, (160gb drive from Tivo HD) and then restored the image to a 2TB WD20EARX. I'd like to expand now using WinMFS, but WinMFS doesn't see my drive when loaded. Thoughts?
I agree with ThAbtO. If WinMFS is not seeing the drive it usually means it needs administrator privileges. You should be able to expand the drive after DvrBARS restored the backup to the larger drive.

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
I just did that and WinMFS does see the drive but will not expand it for the full 2Tb, you can do the job by running jmfs to just expand the drive, do not supersize the drive with jmfs. You then can super size the drive using WinMFS. This just worked for me.
How large did WinMFS expand the drive.

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
I did not use WinMFS to expand as it told me that 1Tb was the biggest drive that a TiVo-HD could take, I used jmfs to just expand than went back to WinMFS and used the super size on that program, worked great for a 2Tb TiVo-HD at 318 hours of HD record time. I did not try to first use WinMFS to super size than use jmfs to expand, as I said before do not use jmfs to super size a TiVo-HD.
Yes that is the standard disclaimer WinMFS gives you. It will then ask you if you want to expansion limited to 1TB. Just say no and it will expand to the full 2Tb.

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
I did that and it did not work, at least for me, so I used the multi step process and that worked.
Are you talking about using WinMFS to do the whole process where you have to say no to expand after copy then use MFSAdd to expand and then supersize. Or are you talking about the multi step process where you used DvrBARS to restore to a larger drive and then JMFS to expand and WinMFS to supersize.

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
Multi step process, you can use DvrBARS or WinMFS to restore to the 2Tb drive, if using WinMFS don't expand, than use JMFS to expand, than WinMFS to supersize. This works, but you may be able to restore and supersize first using WinMFS, than expand using JMFS, I did not try doing that way.
What model S3 do you have? Not sure why WinMFS could not do the whole expand and supersize. What type of backup and restore did you use with DvrBARS and I will try to replicate.

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
This was done from a 652 TiVo-HD and an original 160Tb drive. WinMFS can't do 2Tb drives in my experience, yours may be different.
Yes my experience has been different, however, I have only used WinMFS to expand an OLED S3 (648) to 2TB. I will get a 652 image and see if my experience is any different.

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
This was done from a 652 TiVo-HD and an original 160Tb drive. WinMFS can't do 2Tb drives in my experience, yours may be different.
Just played with a 652 image and had no problem with WinMFS taking it to 2TB. Could I get a truncated version of your original drive and test with that to see why it did not work for you.

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
I am using running WinMFS as an administrator. I would have done it all with WinMFS, but I can't get it to see my new drive. It sees my old drive fine, DvrBARS sees both drives fine, I'm stumped.

Using a USB to SATA adaptor with Windows 7 running in VMWare Fusion, on a Macbook Pro. New drive is a WD20EARX.

I used the same setup earlier in the week to upgrade a Tivo HD from 160 to 500GB, so I think my setup is working fine, but for some reason WinMFS just doesn't recognize this drive.
Are you going from the 500GB or 160GB drive to a larger drive. And how did you expand from the 160GB drive to the 500GB drive.

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
I'm trying to clone/expand from the 160GB to the 2TB drive.

I cloned/expanded 160GB to the 500GB using WinMFS. WinMFS had no problem seeing either drive, but the 500GB drive was way too loud, so I bought the WD20EARX, but WinMFS doesn't see it.

Since it doesn't see it, I tried to do it with DvrBARS. Cloning worked great, and I was hoping that cloning the drive would force WinMFS to recognize it, but no luck. Currently have the 2TB working, but shows only 21 hours HD capacity when installed in the Tivo HD.
Does WinMFS see the 2Tb drive after you cloned it to the larger drive?
I have been able to boot JMFS CD on my Macbook and have it operational. It's an older C2D Macbook and depends if the Linux version on the JMFS CD has all the drivers for the hardware. Some people I understand were not able to do the same.

1 - 20 of 225 Posts