TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
BeanMeScot said:
Nice, except that's the standalone box and not the fabled Comcast Tivo. Still nice to see though. As a recent defectee (?) from DirecTV to Comcast for precisely the same reasons as the OP (I even have the same TV!), I'm hopeful of getting TiVo back in my life again.

OTOH, since I live in Seattle and we use the Microsoft Foundation software on our Comcast boxes and since MS invested $4 billion in Comcast, I'm figuring we'll be the last to get Tivo here.

·
Registered
359 Posts
bidger said:
Yup. And while a lot of people are whooping it up over the unit, understandable, there's still some unknowns about the unit as far as pricing for service and box, exactly what service will be tied to it. Like I said I can understand that people are starved for it, but I'd like to know more before I consider investing.
Actually, it occurs to me that with dual Cable Cards and, I'm assuming, encrypted QAM support, you really wouldn't need the Comcast box anymore unless you were really into PPV or On Demand (I don't use either very much). Personally, I'd trade On Demand for Wishlists and TiVO Suggestions in a heartbeat. Of course, the TiVO monthly fee is going to be higher than the $5/mo. that Comcast charges for their (admittedly inferior) DVR.

·
Registered
359 Posts
jcricket said:
I think the Series 3 Tivo box is encouraging, but after reading the price rumors ($500 - $800), I'm not as hot on the box as I thought I would be. Sure, the HR20 and Comcast Tivo might not have all the cool features (MRV, HMO, etc.) as a standalone Tivo, but if both boxes are "working dual-tuner HD DVRs", and I only have to pay $10/month, it's hard to justify spending $500-800 up-front just to get the "extras". If the Comcast Tivo is any good, I'll probably switch to cable for that. If the HR20 is any good, I may stick with DirecTV for a while (since it will be free).

The way I look at it, renting the DVR from Comcast/DirecTV (or, in my case, getting one free as a replacement for my HR10-250) it will take 4-5 years before I've spent the same as I would spend up-front on a Series 3. During those years I fully expect to go through at least one replacement cycle, with some new box hopefully with better features and more capacity. If I have to buy a "Series 4", that would be even more money out of my pocket. If I'm renting, they'll just swap out the box (or I can switch providers).

With the state of DVRs (fast changes) it makes more sense right now (IMHO) to lease than to purchase a $500-800 box. Maybe this won't be true in the future with full 2-way cable-cards and the competition between Microsoft, Apple and standalone PVRs (like Tivo Series 3).
Spot on. However, if the rumors are true and Comcast is just going to put TiVo on the Moto 6412, I'll be pretty disappointed. It's a pretty balky device (I've had 3 replaced due to tuner failures in the 6 weeks since I switched to Comcast) and it has a paltry recording capacity (just 20 hours of HD at best).

·
Registered
359 Posts
bidger said:
I was under the impression that the box would be manufactured by Comcast's supplier, but running whatever version of TiVo software they condone.
2 different things. The Series 3 box announced at CES is a standalone, but since it has Cable Card support you can use it without the box supplied by your cable company and still receive all channels (including encrypted channels). But TiVo and Comcast announced a deal last year to put TiVO software on the boxes that Comcast rents to subscribers. My point really was that if the standalone gives you access to all channels, provides the TiVO channel guide and other TiVO features, you don't really need the Comcast (or whatever) version of the TiVO box. I suppose, though, the advantage is that you'd be able to rent from your cable company vs. buy from TiVO, assuming all other things are equal (see my above post about the shortcomings of the 6412).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.