TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a DTV custiomer since the good old H card days but am only now making the move over to DVR technology and TIVO. I do not have hi def at this time.

Looking for a recommendation on which DTV/Tivo IRD to make my first.

I am inclined to make modifications

Thanx

·
Registered
188 Posts
Most of the DVR 2 series are the same. From what I've read I would make sure not to get the new DTV DVR which is NOT Tivo based. I've read about some very weak features in their software.

There are several brands and models that look a little different but they're all the same inside basically. The newest model is the R10 and it's ok but I think most people are happiest with the standard series 2 DVR. Here are some of the model names and numbers. I have 3 Philips 708's and 1 DVR40 (Hughes). They are the same unit inside.

Philips......DSR708
RCA..........DVR40 (or DVR80)
Hughes....SD DVR40 (or DVR80)

The 80's have twice the storage time as the 40's, otherwise identical.

The DirecTV R10 is also a good unit but it's not hackable and you probably won't be doing that anyway.

The R15 is the new unit and it is NOT Tivo Based. It has no WISH Lists and only buffers one tuner as far as I know. I'm not an expert on this one but I think it also lacks suggestions (known as thumbs up and down).

I have had TIVO for 2 years now and it COMPLETELY changes the way you watch TV. We don't have to schedule things around TV shows anymore. It's GREAT! This is something you will NOT regret. We have discovered so many shows using the WISH lists that we would never have watched otherwise. I have found programs on subjects I like I didn't know about. That's why I would not buy the new DVR. TIVO Only for me. When mine die I will probably go stand alone TIVO.

Also don't worry or be overwhelmed. It has a LOT of features. Just learn one at a time like the rest of us and you soon will be an expert too. Don't be afraid to ask questions here or send me private messages if you want. That's what these boards are about. I have learned a lot here and have tried to help back in return.

Best of luck with you decision and you won't regret getting the DVR....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Since you have been a DTV subscriber for a long time you have two options to easily get into the DVR world...

1) Call retention and tell them you want to know what hardware upgrades they have. Read that thread for ideas on how this works. Personally they were going to send me an R15 but I told them no, so they authorized me to buy a DVR of my choice and they will give me and instant $99 credit to pay for it when I activate it. I bought a DVR80 from ValueElectronics.

2) Click Here and read this post on a free offer that you can take advantage of. Basically it appears you will get a 40GB Series 2 (not an R10 or R15 :)) for just the cost of shipping+tax and no commitment increase to your account.

The final option would is just go buy what you want before the end of February and do the mail in rebate. But I think the options above are the better deals at the moment :cool:

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
ZweigSRDC said:
What happens atthe end of February?
AFAIK, that is when DirecTV are going to cease directly selling TiVo DVRs themselves.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My comment was just to get the $100 rebate you have to do that before the end of February as thats when that offer ends.

But yes, come March 1st, DTV is going to a Lease plan for "new" equipment (new means it could be refurbished). If you own your equipment before March 1st, nothing changes for you (as I understand) until you want new equipment. Then you go to the lease plan (or you find a retailer willing to sell equipment but possibly at a higher price... that part is unknown).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going with the R10 from weaknees - $99 after the 100 rebate.

After that I will grab a series 2 as cheap as I can get it and start playing with some drive upgrades etc.

The 2 year comittment nearly caused me to cancel my sub and get cable.

It really seems like a scam, espescially since there are very few people in support at DTV who understand and or can explain why they require the comittment.

The ones who have a good answer explain that the cost of the equipment is far greater then what we pay and thus the comittment.

If that is the case, then why do I have to comitt on a used IRD from Ebay?

Any way you slice it - seems like a scam to me still.

Really have to thank the cell phone people for starting this "lock you up forever" trend.

Thanx to all here for the information and the warm welcome to the community

·
Registered
195 Posts
Why are you doing an R10 with the commitment at all? As I posted above, you can do the Free deal from DTV for the refurbished DirecTiVo and most likely this will be a Series 2 unit. You'll only be out ~$15 and you have no commitment and what appears will be a hackable DTiVo.

If you really want the commitment, then call ValueElectronics and order a DVR80 (again a Series 2 but brand new in the box) for $119 (shipped). This will allow you to do the $100 rebate and commit yourself to 2 more years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MikeF said:
Why are you doing an R10 with the commitment at all? .
Mainly to demonstrate that I am not too bright, which I believe I have illustrated quite nicely.

Thanx again for the info.

·
Registered
504 Posts
MikeF said:
As I posted above, you can do the Free deal from DTV for the refurbished DirecTiVo and most likely this will be a Series 2 unit. You'll only be out ~$15 and you have no commitment and what appears will be a hackable DTiVo.
No such thing. Activating any DVR (DirecTiVo or R15) or any HD receiver of any kind that has not been seen on your account before incurs a 2 year commitment or they won't turn it on. Doesn't matter how you get it, new, used, extended warranty claim, inherited from a relative... they're gonna zap you.

·
MRV Junkie
388 Posts
If that is the case, then why do I have to comitt on a used IRD from Ebay?
I had the same issue. I called to activate an new access card I got for a Samsung TiVo I bought on eBay. Even though I was replacing an existing receiver with this, the first rep tried to tell me I had to "re-up" for two years. I finally got a supervisor, and he took care of it.

I now have two Samsung TiVo's networked and set up with HMO, MRV, and the nasty "e" word. ;)

Incidentally, since I couldn't use an access card I already had in the "new" TiVo, they knocked some off my bill for six months and gave me two free months of Showtime.

·
Not So Notable Member
13,585 Posts
LostCluster said:
No such thing. Activating any DVR (DirecTiVo or R15) or any HD receiver of any kind that has not been seen on your account before incurs a 2 year commitment or they won't turn it on. Doesn't matter how you get it, new, used, extended warranty claim, inherited from a relative... they're gonna zap you.
The T&C for the free 40GB Tivos are as follows:

OFFER TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By placing this order you agree to the following terms and conditions:

Offer for existing residential customers only with accounts in good standing, as determined by DIRECTV in its sole discretion.

Applicable taxes not included in system price.

Within 30 days of equipment purchase you agree to activate the DIRECTV DVR service ($5.99/mo.). In certain markets, programming and pricing may vary.

Limited time offer expires 2/28/2006 or while supplies last.

DIRECTV DVR service fee is $5.99/mo. and covers every DVR in your home. The DVR service fee is waived for customers subscribing to TOTAL CHOICE PREMIER programming.
*Actual recording capacity depends on type of programming being recorded. Land-based phone line connection required. Professional installation highly recommended.

DIRECTV PROGRAMMING AND PRICING SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME. Fee for separate programming on second and each additional TV $4.99.mo. You are not obligated to continue your subscription to DIRECTV programming for any specific duration. Existing customers may activate additional receivers with their existing DIRECTV programming package. FAILURE TO ACTIVATE THE DIRECTV SYSTEM WITHIN 30 DAYS OF RECEIPT MAY RESULT IN A CHARGE OF $150 FOR EACH DIRECTV RECEIVER NOT ACTIVATED. If you return your equipment within 30 days of purchase and prior to installation, you will receive a full refund, minus shipping and handling. Offer void in Alaska and Hawaii and where prohibited or restricted. May not be combined with any other offer. Offer and equipment are non-transferable and may not be resold. Hardware and programming sold separately. Programming and pricing subject to change. Pricing in residential. Taxes not included. Receipt of DIRECTV programming is subject to the terms of the DIRECTV Customer Agreement; a copy is provided at DIRECTV.com and in your first bill. DIRECTV services not provided outside the U.S. ©2006 DIRECTV, Inc. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo, TOTAL CHOICE and DIRECTV PARA TODOS are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really dont mind the 2 year comitt since I have been with them longer then that and plan to stay at least that long anyway.

It is thoroughly annoying though that they want to lock you up without providing anything of value in return. Also bothersome that you have to verbally assault someone to get an explanation better then "thats the company policy".

Of incidental note here, retention gave me $20 off of my bill for the next 12 months.

I have removed the photo of rupert murdoc from my dart board. Still the relationship may never bee the same.

Thanx to all who have been kind enuff to share their info

1 - 14 of 14 Posts