TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· I am Groot!
58,950 Posts
TivoPip said:
Actually, the effects and acting in the new series are just as bad as the old. It wouldn't be Dr Who otherwise :)
Uh, no, not really. The acting is better, the writing is worlds better, and the special effects are, well, actual special effects. Not exactly state of the art, but certainly respectable.

· I am Groot!
58,950 Posts
rkester said:
So this show they are advertising on SCIFI is avail on DVD in CA now? WHy wouldnt i just buy the set and watch rather than wait for months for each episode to air?
That would be the way to go, if you can take the expense--no commercials, good picture quality, on-demand scheduling--everything Sci-Fi Channel ain't!

· I am Groot!
58,950 Posts
rkester said:
Rob - as long as its not over $50 USD shipped, Id rather pay than watch it on SCIFI since scifi's signal is not so hot in SD on my tv.
Let me know if you can find it that cheap--I'll be all over it.

I've already seen it--a friend downloaded and burned DVD-quality rips from the UK. But I'm a firm believer in only using torrents for stuff that's not otherwise available, so I'm planning on buying the US DVDs when they come out--unless I can get a decent price on the Canadian or British sets.

· I am Groot!
58,950 Posts
rkester said:
Question... I noticed that the box set said "Series 1" and not "Season 1" is that a UKism or something? To me, series means the entire show, like "friends" or "frasier" are both series.
Yeah, "Series" is British for "Season."

Why can't those Brits just learn English like the rest of the world?

· I am Groot!
58,950 Posts
rkester said:
Wow, they are are proud of those 13 episodes for that kind of money. Almost makes the CA or UK version worth ordering now ya know?
Except they're not really any cheaper, street-price-wise.

Yeah, these are HBO prices. But since it's a show with a very intense cult following, they're probably right that they can get it.

· I am Groot!
58,950 Posts
rkester said:
I guess my point was you could get teh CA/UK s1 now insted of much later for the US version
Ah! I see.

I will probably wait for the American edition to show up at the used shops for under $50 (which is my strategy for the similarly-overpriced HBO series I get)...

· I am Groot!
58,950 Posts
tivolovr said:
Not getting something tho -- what is the nature of the relationship between the Doctor and Rose? Is she a groupie or is there a romance? :confused:
Technically, she's a "companion." There's never been a whiff of romance between the Doctors and their companions. The very first "companion" was actually introduced as his granddaughter, but that got ret-conned out quickly.

Presumably, he travels with monkeys because otherwise he would get bored. I suspect the real reason is because of tradition, and because it gives him somebody to explain stuff to; and the reason they're almost always pretty young women is because they get more viewers that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.