TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Series 2 dual tuner Tivo (made by Tivo). I was curious if it has a IDE or SATA drive. I would like to expand the capabilites of the unit.

On a side note, does Instacake save my programs as well as increasing the space of the drive in Tivo?

Thanks,
Rich

·
DVD TiVo Expert
594 Posts
The DT has an IDE drive, otherwise known as a ATA or PATA (parallel ATA) drive.

The Instant Cake utility creates a fresh copy of the TiVo OS onto a new drive. It doesn't save your recordings or settings. If you want to save recordings, I'd recommend visiting mfslive.org for your upgrade needs. You can download a free CD image (an .ISO) and make a backup of your drive before you upgrade to a larger drive.

Hope that helps,
robomeister

·
Registered
40 Posts
robomeister said:
The DT has an IDE drive, otherwise known as a ATA or PATA (parallel ATA) drive.

The Instant Cake utility creates a fresh copy of the TiVo OS onto a new drive. It doesn't save your recordings or settings. If you want to save recordings, I'd recommend visiting mfslive.org for your upgrade needs. You can download a free CD image (an .ISO) and make a backup of your drive before you upgrade to a larger drive.

Hope that helps,
robomeister
I second < robomeister >'s info. the tools available on the mfslive.org site work well. Although, if you not comfortable with Linux, I would recommend trying the application:

WinMFS

which is a windows based app. that allows you to create a truncated backup of your existing DVR drive. It also will allow you to make a disk to disk copy, and expand to fill the capacity of the new drive.

I just used the WinMFS software to upgrade my Humax DRT800, 80hour unit to a 472 hour unit.

All the original save programs work, and I was able to immediately download Amazon.com Unbox on TiVo videos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts