TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· TiVo Lover
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We want to make custom startup intros and animated backgrounds for the TiVo Series 2 or 3. They are in ty format, which is a proprietary stream format used on the TiVo.

There was a tool that was made called tyffmpeg which was a modified version of ffmpeg to encode to ty format, but that was posted on a forum called DealDatabase which is no longer up.

Does anyone have tyffmpeg or know of a way to convert MPEG to ty?

Thanks.

· Unknown Member
4,716 Posts
I'm sure I've got tyffmpeg around somewhere, also a patch for it though I can't remember what the patch does. Message me a place to upload them to. My best recollection is that the conversion did not work very well.

Can't you just load the mpeg into a hacked Tivo s3 HD or OLED and then download as a ty with mfs_ftp.tcl or tyftpd? Or would that not really be a "native" ty that would work for your purposes?

· TiVo Lover
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure I've got tyffmpeg around somewhere, also a patch for it though I can't remember what the patch does. Message me a place to upload them to. My best recollection is that the conversion did not work very well.

Can't you just load the mpeg into a hacked Tivo s3 HD or OLED and then download as a ty with mfs_ftp.tcl or tyftpd? Or would that not really be a "native" ty that would work for your purposes?
Thanks, sent you a PM.

Doesn't a Series 3 TiVo have to be PROM modded in order to do that?

· TiVo Lover
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@Wil Are you able to send me tyffmpeg? It's been 5 months. I don't mind where you upload it to.

· TiVo Lover
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts