TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know when the new Doctor Who series currently playing in the UK (and Canada) will come to the US?

·
Pass the gravy!
16,819 Posts
I checked the BBC America website last week and it was not listed there at all. I'm hoping we will get it fairly soon. A friend sent me a DVD of the first episode and I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm not a Torrent guy, so I'm glad the BBC is releasing the series WHILE it airs. Got the first three eps, and the next three will be coming in a few weeks. Gotta love multiple-region PAL/NTSC DVD players!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
edc said:
I'm not a Torrent guy, so I'm glad the BBC is releasing the series WHILE it airs. Got the first three eps, and the next three will be coming in a few weeks. Gotta love multiple-region PAL/NTSC DVD players!
I take it the BBC has the episodes available somewhere? That'll do for now, although I'd prefer not having to go through this route to watch the show.

I stopped using bittorrent when it got too much press time...

·
Mike
4 Posts
A friend of mine is a big Dr. Who fan and he indicated that there are no plans to release the new Dr. Who in the states. That could change, but last he heard this was the case.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sherminator said:
Even BBC America says no.
That's interesting. This site though indicates that there might be a feature film, based on how the new series does in the US. I think they need to communicate better!

·
Ancient Astronaut Theorist
4,556 Posts
pwsteele said:
Does anyone know when the new Doctor Who series currently playing in the UK (and Canada) will come to the US?
No, but bittorrent, IRC, Newsgroups, may be of some help to you. Nine episodes of Dr. Who have aired so far and the series pretty gosh darn good. I've enjoyed every episode.

I watched the early episodes on a local PBS tv station back in the 80's and have been a fan since.

·
Cubs fan
3,794 Posts
Sherminator said:
Even BBC America says no.
What I've heard is that BBC America is one of the Discovery Channel networks that just happens to air primarily British shows.

I'd like to see superstation WGN carry the show. We'll see what happens.

·
Lurker
1,339 Posts
There's a Yahoo Group called "thisweekindoctorwho" where the guy sends out weekly updates on where the new series has been picked up. He also sends out email alerts when a new country picks it up.

The current list of countries where someone has bought the rights to show it (regardless of whether they have started showing it or not):

UK (obviously)
Canada
Australia
New Zealand
Netherlands
Italy
Finland
South Korea

and some UK-based airline called Thomsonfly Airlines is showing the first episode on their in-flight entertainment this month.

No word on the US purchase. I thought I read some time back that both Sci-Fi and BBC America were interested. PBS may be interested but it would be on a station-by-station basis, and based on the economics of my local PBS station (KTEH-54 in San Jose, which used to have a fantastic Sunday night scifi lineup, but I was there for a pledge drive last year and they had a skeleton staff and were cutting back on essentials like cleaning) I can't imagine they will pick it up, so I'm hoping for one of the national cable networks.

·
Not Registered
4,081 Posts
I accidentally stumbled on the first episode on Canadian TV a few days ago. It's running on CBC there. I came in about half way through the episode. If someone has seen the first episode I'd like to be clued in on what exactly was with the disappearing and reappearing yellow car driving around the block.

·
I am Groot!
61,666 Posts
Apparently, nobody who's interested can afford what the BBC is asking, and nobody who can afford it is interested.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
pwsteele said:
I take it the BBC has the episodes available somewhere? That'll do for now, although I'd prefer not having to go through this route to watch the show.

I stopped using bittorrent when it got too much press time...
The PAL discs can be ordered from amazon.co.uk. The first disc (with the first three episodes) is out now, the second disc will be out mid-June. No announcement of the remainder of the discs.

A box set with all the episodes and extras is due out in November.

·
Not Registered
4,081 Posts
Huh. Interesting. I just looked at the trailer and that would definitely be it. The Doctor didn't seem to have much to do with Rose in the last half of that episode. I assumed they didn't know each other.

·
The Gimp
17,431 Posts
Sherminator said:
The Doctor felt used by Rose, citing that She didn't want to travel with him when she thought it was "just" a spacecraft, but he couldn't stop her once he told her that it could travel in time, and he believed that the only reason that she was with him was in order to go back in time and save her fathers life
This Doctor is quite different than the others. He's extremely cynical and doesn't really trust anyone, not even Rose. (Tho that is changing)

The Doctor seems to be feeling VERY guilty about being the last Timelord, as we've watched him deal with his grief all season, knowing that he has the ability to change what happens, but is bound by the laws of time travel not to. I think that was actually one of the primary reasons they did a story like Father's Day.

It was announced last week that Rose will be leaving the show durring the second series to pursue other acting oppurtunities (something that worked out well for David Caruso :eek: )

·
I am Groot!
61,666 Posts
Langree said:
It was announced last week that Rose will be leaving the show durring the second series to pursue other acting oppurtunities (something that worked out well for David Caruso :eek: )
It was also strongly implied that the actress (actually a singer, but she's quite good in the role) hadn't realized what she was getting herself into, and wasn't up to the grind of a weekly show...

·
No Avatar Selected
4,077 Posts
It's unlikely it will make an appearance on Nebraska Educational TeleVision. They've taken it as their mandate to educate, not entertain, and they feel that no sci-fi qualifies.

And I so want to see Queen Labiblia and her computer IZ2Z again.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts