Votes: 63 68.5%
  • No

Votes: 29 31.5%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Tell me a joke
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From time to time I still see a few people are using Series 1 Tivo's. Who is still using one?

I have owned many Tivo's over the years and I have never had a single hardware issue. I only got rid of Tivo's because I upgraded. I guess that is one really nice thing about Tivo.

·
Just the facts ma'am
11,107 Posts
I have a fully functioning Philips S1 that is not in use.

·
Registered
26,882 Posts
Have a fully functional Phillips S1 as well. Even had it in full-time use at my fathers place until about 18mos ago when we switched to directTv.

Over the years it needed about 3 HD replacements due to failures and some repair of the battery holder (there was a bad soldering job or some such thing on early S1s).

·
wait.. I did what?
14,749 Posts
Poll doesn't have enough answers to cover me.
While I myself, in my home, do not have a functioning S1, my original S1 from 2000 is still at a friends house recording away.

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
No the modem died on my Sony around the time the series 2 came out. Since the TiVo was a gift and had the extended warranty, I got a free upgrade to the series 2.

I do still have 2 TiVo series 2 in my closet though that both worked last time I checked. I dumped them for direcTiVos since they had more tuners and I didn't have to deal with ir blasters.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
You should ask if anybody is still paying monthly on a working Series 1 or are all the working Series 1s on Lifetime Service (as I think they are, but don't know).

·
Don't stop believin'
26,095 Posts
You should ask if anybody is still paying monthly on a working Series 1 or are all the working Series 1s on Lifetime Service (as I think but don't know).
The Sony S1 on Lifetime is still working.

The Philips S1 on monthly is currently unplugged because we can't find its peanut, and we haven't had time to tweak the remote codes to use the peanut for the HD for both. :eek:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Still a functional S1 Sony here in use but unsubbed. The paint on the remote has worn off so the Sony TiVo remote is kinda hard to use. But I quit using it a few years ago when I got a Harmony and use it with my S3.

·
I miss the ocean
7,265 Posts
Yes I have 2. Both in guest rooms that don't have HD TV ( hey, I don't want guests to stay too long... ) Tho 1 is not hooked up to Phone line unless I manually run a cord from the other room, but both work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Still have a working svr-2000 with lifetime which I got back in 2000, it has a turbonet card and a 120GB 2nd drive. I just stopped using it about 4 months ago when I got rid of cable. I picked up a series2 with lifetime off craigslist to takes its place so I can easily record OTA and be able to transfer recordings with my newer premiere unit. :up:

·
New Year. New Name.
4,507 Posts
I have a Philips Series 1 with an expanded hard drive and Lifetime that works but I am not using.
I also have a Sony Series 1 with Lifetime that works but I am not using.

Not sure what to do with them. They have been replaced by 2 TiVo HDs, but I did not transfer over the lifetime service.

·
Hmmm...
299 Posts
Popular consensus seems to be that unless they were lifetimed before the cutoff for transferability, they're pretty hard to use / sell at this point. Interesting idea throwing one in a guest room to get them to leave eventually. :D

·
Designated Grunt
958 Posts
Popular consensus seems to be that unless they were lifetimed before the cutoff for transferability, they're pretty hard to use / sell at this point.
Send one or two of them to me, I'll give them a good home. ;)

We have two Series 1 Philips in daily use. Both have upgraded disks. Both have lifetime. One is using an external modem since the internal one died.

One of them was won in that original essay contest that Tivo ran years ago.

There's always that concern that one of them will die in a way I can't fix and with no spare in the closet we'll be in trouble.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have a Philips S1 with lifetime that has been in service nearly continually since August 2001. I installed a larger hard drive when I first set it up in 2001 and I think it's either on its second or third replacement drive. It's been in a guest bedroom for the past 2 years, so sometimes it goes unplugged for a few weeks at a time.

I also have a Sony SVR-2000 from early 2001. So far as I know, it still works. But it's been boxed up for about 3 years since Tivo Inc let me transfer the lifetime service to another box. I'm sure I could have gotten someone to sign the box up for service to "test drive" a Tivo, but the new one year minimum turns out to be a deal-breaker time and again. Oh, that and the sour taste that Premiere has left if my mouth! :down:

I do miss the "good ol' days" when I described Tivo as "bulletproof" and sold it unabashedly. Now I'm *much* more reluctant. That said, my Tivo Series 3 and TivoHD are still running fine.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.