TiVo Community Forum banner

Do the new Premier and XL Tivos transfer faster?

2380 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  wmcbrine
I'm transferring a 3 hour HD show from my THD to my desktop using the TTG software and it's taking forever. It's only getting like 10mb throughput on the network...this is a 22gb file.

I understand there is some transcoding being done on the fly and all that - do the newer Tivos handle that processing any better and does that translate into faster transfer speeds from Tivo to desktop?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
I'm transferring a 3 hour HD show from my THD to my desktop using the TTG software and it's taking forever. It's only getting like 10mb throughput on the network...this is a 22gb file.

I understand there is some transcoding being done on the fly and all that - do the newer Tivos handle that processing any better and does that translate into faster transfer speeds from Tivo to desktop?
I have a Premier XL, and getting a consistent rate of 20 - 25 mins transfer time for a Standard definition (1.3 GBytes size for a 1 hour show). I have not tried a HD Xfer, yet. I do know that the speed is about double vs a Series 2 box.
The proof is in this video.

The proof is in this video.

OK, I played the video several times. You have 3 simultaneous downloads. It seemed that it was averaging about 50Mb/sec. Can you summarize what was being downloaded -- it seems that you transfer rates are considerable faster than mine. Direct connection using an Ethernet cable? Thanks for running this. Can you shed some light about the equipment you are using, and whether that is typical using kmttg - it seems non-typical for me.
This video was not made by me but by someone else on here called Bkdtv. Of the 4 lines, #1 was transfer from a Tivo HD, #2 is its decryption, #3 is transfer from Premiere with #4 decryption to .mpg.

The premiere is reported to be 3-5x faster for transferring video than a Series 3.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2010-03/digging-deeper-within-the-new-tivo-premiere/
OK, I played the video several times. You have 3 simultaneous downloads.
No, two.

It seemed that it was averaging about 50Mb/sec.
'Closer to 70 Mbps, but remember that was from two different TiVos. From the Premier he was getting over 60Mbps.

Can you shed some light about the equipment you are using, and whether that is typical using kmttg - it seems non-typical for me.
I expect the equipment is stock, although I also suspect he has a 1G switch between the server and the TiVos. The TiVo HD has fairly poor network performance - there are no two ways about it, but since one can queue up a bunch of videos for downloading and walk away, who really cares? Transfers in the other direction are somewhat faster, particularly if one recodes the videos to h.264.

Kmttg, pyTivo, Galleon and TiVoDesktop all use the same protocol for TiVo-To-Go, so they all transfer at the same speed, for a given TiVo.
I'm transferring a 3 hour HD show from my THD to my desktop using the TTG software and it's taking forever. It's only getting like 10mb throughput on the network............
This is normal for a THD on a hardwired 100 Mbps network. The THD is the bottleneck. They say you can speed it up a little by putting both tuners on channels with no video .... haven't tried that.
This is normal for a THD on a hardwired 100 Mbps network. The THD is the bottleneck.
Yes, and so is the Premier, for that matter. It's just a larger bottle with the Premier.

They say you can speed it up a little by putting both tuners on channels with no video .... haven't tried that.
That is correct for all TiVos, including the Premier. It's most efective on a THD, but even significant on an original S3. It may be true on an S2, as well, but I am not certain.
Yes, and so is the Premier, for that matter. It's just a larger bottle with the Premier.

That is correct for all TiVos, including the Premier. It's most efective on a THD, but even significant on an original S3. It may be true on an S2, as well, but I am not certain.
What is "THD?" - a Tivo Hard Drive? Thanks all for the recommendations from everyone about the Tuner setting - I will try it and report back.
What is "THD?" - a Tivo Hard Drive? Thanks all for the recommendations from everyone about the Tuner setting - I will try it and report back.
THD = Tivo Model named HD, its a Series 3 platform.

See less See more
Tivo Premiere transfers are more faster than others.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.