TiVo Community Forum banner
521 - 540 of 595 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Your original drive looks good, no sector problems. About 3.5 years use, still very good for a 3.5", can go 5-10 years.

If I was starting fresh myself, here is what I would do. First write down all the "problem" recordings that occured after the project. Then take the original drive and delete ALL the recordings in the recently deleted folder (so drive is not 100% full). Then delete all the "problem" recordings from the original, leave them in the recently deleted folder which should now be empty. Then do maybe 5-10 recordings to shake things up, move things around. Then restore the "problem" recordings. Then can either proceed from there, or delete the 5-10 new recordings, or delete and permanently delete the 5-10 recordings. Then proceed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If I was starting fresh myself, here is what I would do. First write down all the "problem" recordings that occured after the project. Then take the original drive and delete ALL the recordings in the recently deleted folder (so drive is not 100% full). Then delete all the "problem" recordings from the original, leave them in the recently deleted folder which should now be empty. Then do maybe 5-10 recordings to shake things up, move things around. Then restore the "problem" recordings. Then can either proceed from there, or delete the 5-10 new recordings, or delete and permanently delete the 5-10 recordings. Then proceed.
Unfortunately I don't know all the recordings that may be compromised. I remembered the title of this particular one and I recall discovering several others within a certain time range, but I'd have to find them and there may be more. It will take a lot of time if I decide to go that route eventually.

Once the 8TB-->8TB cloning is done I'll try KS 58 first and then if that doesn't work try a KS 57. As I mentioned, I just hope KS 57 doesn't affect other parts of the TiVo like flash memory so I can revert back to the original drive if needed as I've been doing.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Once the 8TB-->8TB cloning is done I'll try KS 58 first and then if that doesn't work try a KS 57. As I mentioned, I just hope KS 57 doesn't affect other parts of the TiVo like flash memory so I can revert back to the original drive if needed as I've been doing.
You can, but 57 on Roamios usually semi "brick it", gets stuck at the green screen. Then have to use MFSCK to fix the boot sector. While doing all the copies/clones maybe start permanently deleting all the original drive recently deleted. A good thing to do even if not working on a project, not great to run a drive at 100% full all the time, especially in a 24/7 Tivo. At least IMO. Oh, takes awhile to permanently delete that many recordings, quickest way is start at top of list, hit "clear", then confirm, then repeat. At least 100-200 if not all, get it below 100%.

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #524 ·
Unfortunately I don't know all the recordings that may be compromised. I remembered the title of this particular one and I recall discovering several others within a certain time range, but I'd have to find them and there may be more. It will take a lot of time if I decide to go that route eventually.

Are there any recordings that can play successfully after you copied the drive?

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are there any recordings that can play successfully after you copied the drive?
Yes, I would say the vast majority of the copied shows I checked played OK. The shows I was checking were mostly ones recorded in the past several of months, I'll have to go back farther when I try putting the copied 8TB back in after it finishes cloning.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hoping someone can assist. I've done Tivo upgrades in the past but this one really is challenging for me.

Trying to put 12TB in Roamio
  • put in 500GB original drive and let the Roamio format it.
  • Tivo boots up fine and goes through guided set up to completion (where it says you can use Tivo while it loads 2 weeks guide data)
  • connect the 500GB and new 12TB
  • following instructions and using MFSTools, I get the errors in the screenshot.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

MMole

Attachments

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Hoping someone can assist. I've done Tivo upgrades in the past but this one really is challenging for me.

Trying to put 12TB in Roamio
  • put in 500GB original drive and let the Roamio format it.
  • Tivo boots up fine and goes through guided set up to completion (where it says you can use Tivo while it loads 2 weeks guide data)
  • connect the 500GB and new 12TB
  • following instructions and using MFSTools, I get the errors in the screenshot.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

MMole
Off the bat, are you running TE3 or TE4 (Hydra)? If TE4 the Roamio should format the 12TB by itself since you are starting fresh. Have to do the copies/expands if using TE3. Also if self formatting with TE4 cannot go back to TE3 in the future (from what I understand) There may be a bootsector fix MFST command to fix the boot on the 500GB.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Hopefully JMBach will reply but if going from TE3 you may have to use an intermediary drive. Copy/expand the 500 to a 4TB, then do copy/expand from the 4TB to the 12 using add/addfixes. Should be enough info in the thread I think, though may have to do a bit of reading.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Off the bat, are you running TE3 or TE4 (Hydra)? If TE4 the Roamio should format the 12TB by itself since you are starting fresh. Have to do the copies/expands if using TE3. Also if self formatting with TE4 cannot go back to TE3 in the future (from what I understand) There may be a bootsector fix MFST command to fix the boot on the 500GB.
I think TE3 (never heard of these acronyms). I never upgraded to the "Get New Tivo Experience".
Thanks for answering.

·
Registered
61 Posts
and you mistyped the device names both times. It would be /dev/sda /dev/sdb instead of /dev/sdA /dev/sdB.
Thanks to you both for your input.
I checked the 500 GB source and it still works (interface shows up, "brand new" with no shows, passes, etc.) in the Roamio.
Then trying again (with the typos corrected), I got the attached warnings.

MMole

Computer Personal computer Output device Font Computer monitor accessory

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I checked the 500 GB source and it still works (interface shows up, "brand new" with no shows, passes, etc.) in the Roamio.

MMole

View attachment 73411
Looks like you will have to run the MFST bootsector fix command (check MFST commands). Pretty sure you are going to have to use the intermediary drive though, that was the whole point of this thread, limit for TE3 used to be 8TB. Beyond that needed to start with 4/6/8TB drive, then do 2TB add/add fixes. May be able to start with a 2TB, not sure. Read the entire process to upgrade to the 10TB, for yours would just end up being one additional add/add fix, 12 instead of 10.

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #536 ·

MMole

View attachment 73411
There is a program called bootsectorfix that needs to be ran on your source drive before copying the drive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello - I am looking to upgrade my 12TB Roamio drive to a 16TB drive I picked up from a sale.

In reading the instructions in Post #2 - Is there anything about my desire to go from a 12TB drive to 16TB drive that makes it different (from say starting with an 8TB drive)? The 12TB was created by cloning an 8TB drive and then expanding it to the 12TB. Now with the 12TB always hovering at 95% I want to expand to 16TB. Can I just follow the same procedure I used for my 8TB drive to create the 12TB drive- first cloning it over, then using msfadd and msfaddfix to expand the cloned 12TB into the new 16TB drive space 2TB at a time - verifying boot up at each 2TB? Thanks!!!

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #538 ·
Hello - I am looking to upgrade my 12TB Roamio drive to a 16TB drive I picked up from a sale.

In reading the instructions in Post #2 - Is there anything about my desire to go from a 12TB drive to 16TB drive that makes it different (from say starting with an 8TB drive)? The 12TB was created by cloning an 8TB drive and then expanding it to the 12TB. Now with the 12TB always hovering at 95% I want to expand to 16TB. Can I just follow the same procedure I used for my 8TB drive to create the 12TB drive- first cloning it over, then using msfadd and msfaddfix to expand the cloned 12TB into the new 16TB drive space 2TB at a time - verifying boot up at each 2TB? Thanks!!!
Can you post the mfsinfo -d output of your 12 TB drive?

·
Registered
44 Posts
So after three unsuccessful tries with mfscopy (twice w/ standard kernel, once -tivo partitions) I've thrown in the towel. Each time there were a few recordings out of about 500 that wouldn't play, wouldn't permanently delete, and any attempt to re-record wouldn't be accepted from the guide or via an Upcoming Showings list. It was consistent, always affecting the same shows.

I splurged for an offline cloning dock and simply cloned the original 3TB to a new 8TB. I checked if those shows would play, and happily they did. Next I did a KS 58, which would never complete on any of the mfscopies, and unsurprisingly it wouldn't complete on this cloned 3TB image and I'll wager it wouldn't have completed on the original drive either.

Anyhow, it seems my only option is use the cloned image and expand to fill the 8TB. As I understand it this will take three adds/fixes instead of just the two if mfscopy had worked.

So I suspect there may be some sort of residual corruption in the Roamio Pro's SQLite database, not bad enough to be noticeable day-to-day but bad enough to trip up mfscopy and KS 58. I've seen reference to a KS 67 for checking the database's integrity but no reports that I could find of anyone ever trying it. I'm not about to be the first person to learn the hard way it wipes out good recordings and cablecard settings.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can you post the mfsinfo -d output of your 12 TB drive?

Hello - thanks. I don't have it pulled from the roamio yet - will post when I do. What should I be looking for?

Also - the 16TB drive is a WD white label- in pre shuck testing/writing zeros stage now - and it is a 7200rpm WD160EDGZ - is this going to be a problem/7200rpm drives ok? Have previously had 5400 rpm WD gree/red/white drives at my 4TB/8TB/12TB upgrades.

Thanks!

521 - 540 of 595 Posts