TiVo Community Forum banner
461 - 480 of 494 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
totally new to the tivo world.... having just gotten a refurb roamio pro that has not been turned on (by me), will switching out the 3 TB drive for a 10 TB drive first work without having to worry about all the things mentioned in the parts of the thread that i have scanned thru as it seems everyone had an existing unit that had been setup and with recordings they wanted to keep rather then start out with a new drive?
Well it depends on what OS is on the Roamio currently. If it is TE4 then the Roamio should format the 10TB itself. If on TE3 there will be a process. For me, it's worth the "process" to stay on TE3, I way prefer it to TE4. Others will disagree. The process is not that tough. Maybe boot it up with current drive to see what OS it is on, look at the system screen and check the OS version, maybe post here. Does the Pro have lifetime service or is it monthly/yearly, just curious.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Well it depends on what OS is on the Roamio currently. If it is TE4 then the Roamio should format the 10TB itself. If on TE3 there will be a process. For me, it's worth the "process" to stay on TE3, I way prefer it to TE4. Others will disagree. The process is not that tough. Maybe boot it up with current drive to see what OS it is on, look at the system screen and check the OS version, maybe post here. Does the Pro have lifetime service or is it monthly/yearly, just curious.
Just FYI there are two "drives" in a Roamio, the hard drive and a flash drive. The flash drive holds the OS. So whatever is on the flash drive now is the current OS, TE3 or TE4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for the quick response... it came with lifetime service... since the new drive is arriving tomorrow, i had already taken it apart and removed the old drive based on some other pages i had read but when i got on here i was a little worried i was too optimistic... anyway it was manufactured in 4 march 16/mod tcd840300 that might be a clue on te3 or te4 (which i will have to google)

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
thanks for the quick response... it came with lifetime service... since the new drive is arriving tomorrow, i had already taken it apart and removed the old drive based on some other pages i had read but when i got on here i was a little worried i was too optimistic... anyway it was manufactured in 4 march 16/mod tcd840300 that might be a clue on te3 or te4 (which i will have to google)
Manufacturing date has nothing to do with it at this point. It is what is on the flash drive NOW, I would just flip the original drive back in, do the setup if necessary, then check the system page for the current OS. I know of no way to find this out without doing that, maybe someone else does? Original drive is only going back in to find out the OS, once you find that out you can figure out what needs to be done to install the 10TB. One other "bonus", when you connect to the internet to do this "test", it should also update to the latest version of either TE3 or TE4 which will update the flash drive. Then you will have the latest version of whatever OS is currently on the flash drive so when installing the 10 the OS will be up to date already.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
TE3 is the "original" Tivo OS, what made it unique to Tivo. TE4 also known as Hydra or "new experience" is more like a cable company DVR IMO. Many unique features of the original Tivo OS (ie TE3) were removed from TE4. Some people like TE4, some like TE3.

·
der Neuerer
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #466 ·
Manufacturing date has nothing to do with it at this point. It is what is on the flash drive NOW, I would just flip the original drive back in, do the setup if necessary, then check the system page for the current OS. I know of no way to find this out without doing that, maybe someone else does? Original drive is only going back in to find out the OS, once you find that out you can figure out what needs to be done to install the 10TB. One other "bonus", when you connect to the internet to do this "test", it should also update to the latest version of either TE3 or TE4 which will update the flash drive. Then you will have the latest version of whatever OS is currently on the flash drive so when installing the 10 the OS will be up to date already.
I think if you press info at the initial startup screen ( I think that is where you choose country but it has been a long time since seeing that screen) it will display the version number.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Reactions: tommage1

·
Registered
4 Posts
will do... assuming it is te3 would either of you be able to point to a link detailing the, as tommage called, "process" to make use of the 10 from the start? while doing tech stuff has been quite awhile, i am usually good at following directions

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
will do... assuming it is te3 would either of you be able to point to a link detailing the, as tommage called, "process" to make use of the 10 from the start? while doing tech stuff has been quite awhile, i am usually good at following directions
Well, since you are starting fresh, you COULD just pop in the 10TB and see what happens. If it's on a fairly current version of TE4 it should just format the whole 10TB and you would be good to go (other than letting TE4 format the 10 itself you would not be able to go back to TE3 without starting totally fresh again). Check the system screen after it formats the 10, if the whole 10TB is done you would be good to go (with TE4), if not you are either on an earlier version of TE4 or on TE3. Then would need to figure out what to do, the "process".

·
der Neuerer
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #469 ·
There are a couple of ways to accomplish this. But I think the best start is to let it boot the original drive and let it update to the latest TE3 or TE4. Don't worry about cableCARD pairing or anything like that.

TE4 replace the drive with the 10 TB and let it format and you can set it up.

TE3...well the easiest approach would be to PM ggieseke and ask him for a version of MFSR that limits the expansion size to 8 TB on the drive followingthe instructionsin the MFSR thread. Then do a mfsadd followed by mfsaddfix on the drive using MFSTools ISO from the instructions in this thread.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
There are a couple of ways to accomplish this. But I think the best start is to let it boot the original drive and let it update to the latest TE3 or TE4. Don't worry about cableCARD pairing or anything like that.

TE4 replace the drive with the 10 TB and let it format and you can set it up.

TE3...well the easiest approach would be to PM ggieseke and ask him for a version of MFSR that limits the expansion size to 8 TB on the drive followingthe instructionsin the MFSR thread. Then do a mfsadd followed by mfsaddfix on the drive using MFSTools ISO from the instructions in this thread.

I'll say one more thing. Since "I" prefer TE3. IF the current OS is TE3 just try it for awhile with the original 3TB. To see how they like it. Then if they want to try TE4 could work from there. If starting with TE4 will probably never go back to try TE3 since would lose everything, and if they let TE4 format the 10TB itself would not be able to go back to TE3 using the normal method, from what I hear cannot be done. Would have to go back to original drive (3TB or under), roll back to TE3, then do the upgrade to the 10?

For sure good idea to boot and connect with the original drive as we both mentioned, so will get the latest version of whatever is on there now, TE3 or TE4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
sounds like a busy couple of days... the reason i am attempting this is we leave for florida as we are snowbirds and this year we are staying much longer then usual hence (at the suggestion of a cable tech person) i got the tivo but even with the 3 TB, I would have to really cut down on the the number of things be recorded. unfortunately departure is the 10th and there is lots of packing to do in the meantime... course if you are in a "cold" state you are probably thinking bad things right about now... thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
sounds like a busy couple of days... the reason i am attempting this is we leave for florida as we are snowbirds and this year we are staying much longer then usual hence (at the suggestion of a cable tech person) i got the tivo but even with the 3 TB, I would have to really cut down on the the number of things be recorded. unfortunately departure is the 10th and there is lots of packing to do in the meantime... course if you are in a "cold" state you are probably thinking bad things right about now... thanks for the info
3TB may hold a lot more than you think. Especially since cable compresses everything now, what used to be 6-10GB per hour is now like 2-3GB (or a bit less). Don't know how much you record but 3TB will probably hold over 1000 hours HD (compressed cable), a lot more if SD. The "estimated HD hours" on the Tivo system screen is from the old days, when the HD shows were 6-10GB per hour. Pretty much can multiply that number by 3 for current cable HD capacity.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Help please.

I am upgrading a stock romio pro form 3 tb to 8 tb. I am on TE3. I am using MFSTools v3.34-2 and following the instructions in the original post.

After booting the MFSTools I am doing the command lsblk -o name,size,vendor.

I see my tivo drive as sdb 2.7t ata
and my new drive as sda 7.3t ata
(My os is on an nvme1)

I type the command mfscopy -am 2040 /dev/sdb /dev/sda
I get the following errors:
Copy source: Input/output error reading volume header.
Copy source /dev/sdb10: Permission denied.

It appeared the image auto logged in so I did not put in a password, is that the problem perhaps?

I have included a screen shot so in case I am missing something someone can point it out.

This is a fully working Tivo 3 tb drive with no boot issues.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

World Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Natural landscape

·
der Neuerer
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #475 ·
Help please.

I am upgrading a stock romio pro form 3 tb to 8 tb. I am on TE3. I am using MFSTools v3.34-2 and following the instructions in the original post.

After booting the MFSTools I am doing the command lsblk -o name,size,vendor.

I see my tivo drive as sdb 2.7t ata
and my new drive as sda 7.3t ata
(My os is on an nvme1)

I type the command mfscopy -am 2040 /dev/sdb /dev/sda
I get the following errors:
Copy source: Input/output error reading volume header.
Copy source /dev/sdb10: Permission denied.

It appeared the image auto logged in so I did not put in a password, is that the problem perhaps?

I have included a screen shot so in case I am missing something someone can point it out.

This is a fully working Tivo 3 tb drive with no boot issues.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 67790
Type sudo before the command.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Type sudo before the command.

Thanks it is now copying...fingers crossed. I ran both the read and write tests using the WD utility as you suggest 13 hours for each run hopefully this drive lasts as long as my 3 tb has lasted.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Thanks it is now copying...fingers crossed. I ran both the read and write tests using the WD utility as you suggest 13 hours for each run hopefully this drive lasts as long as my 3 tb has lasted.
Well the copy finished and I was able to put the drive back in the tivo and it booted up, connected to Tivo and cable card was still working.

So I took it back out and ran the following commands

sudo mfsadd -xcm 2040 /dev/sda
that completed fine.
sudo mfsaddfix /dev/sda
It pruned the apple_free partitions
If converted the 64 bit apm
it coalesced partitions 15 and 16 to 2
During the correcting of the header I get
"Something is very wrong here! Exiting...."

When I put the drive back in my tivo it thinks I have disconnected an external expander drive and wants to divorce it.

I copied the original 3 tb romio pro drive to an 8 tb red drive with no issues. I am on te3.

I am attaching a picture in case I am not describing anything correctly. Your suggestions of what I can do are welcome.

World Font Technology Tints and shades Display device

·
der Neuerer
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #478 · (Edited)
Well the copy finished and I was able to put the drive back in the tivo and it booted up, connected to Tivo and cable card was still working.

So I took it back out and ran the following commands

sudo mfsadd -xcm 2040 /dev/sda
that completed fine.
sudo mfsaddfix /dev/sda
It pruned the apple_free partitions
If converted the 64 bit apm
it coalesced partitions 15 and 16 to 2
During the correcting of the header I get
"Something is very wrong here! Exiting...."

When I put the drive back in my tivo it thinks I have disconnected an external expander drive and wants to divorce it.

I copied the original 3 tb romio pro drive to an 8 tb red drive with no issues. I am on te3.

I am attaching a picture in case I am not describing anything correctly. Your suggestions of what I can do are welcome.

View attachment 67822
Run mfsinfo -d on the image and post the response.

And did you run MFSTools with or without the -tivo switch when it booted up?

Looks like the code failed at determining how to modify the MFS header before correcting the MFS header checksum. We can manually fix this.

Reactions: krkaufman

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Run mfsinfo -d on the image and post the response.

And did you run MFSTools with or without the -tivo switch when it booted up?

Looks like the code failed at determining how to modify the MFS header before correcting the MFS header checksum. We can manually fix this.

Thank you for your response.

Attached is the screenshot from the mfsinfo -d

Also attached is my boot screen. I am not typing or choosing -tivo anywhere I am selecting the third option on the boot screen Live system, kernal 4.19.0-17-amd64
If I am supposed to type a command for the -tivo I don't know what the syntax is. If I am supposed to go back that boot screen and choose the first option Live System (Tivo partitions).... I don't know how to do that.

Let me know what other info I can provide.

World Font Output device Display device Technology

Font Poster Advertising Graphics Logo

·
der Neuerer
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #480 ·
Thank you for your response.

Attached is the screenshot from the mfsinfo -d

Also attached is my boot screen. I am not typing or choosing -tivo anywhere I am selecting the third option on the boot screen Live system, kernal 4.19.0-17-amd64
If I am supposed to type a command for the -tivo I don't know what the syntax is. If I am supposed to go back that boot screen and choose the first option Live System (Tivo partitions).... I don't know how to do that.

Let me know what other info I can provide.

View attachment 67863

View attachment 67864
It looks like the default boot is with the -tivo kernel. You would need to choose the third option for the kernel choices to boot standard kernel.

I have not tested the tools with the -tivo kernels and am wondering if that is the issue.

Will PM you to start fixing this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: krkaufman
461 - 480 of 494 Posts