TiVo Community Forum banner
441 - 460 of 494 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I upgraded my Roamio pro to an 8 TB drive 5 years ago. The drive is starting to go bad. Can I just clone the drive to another 8tb drive (same) size and put the new drive into my roamio or do I still need to use MFS tools?

Thanks,
Depends on if there are errors on the drive. You can clone to another 8TB if the current drive is ok. I would check it before doing the clone, smart test (make sure you don't format it by mistake if using Windows) If ok clone is fine. If errors, well I would try MFST copy or even DDrescue which is also on the MFST CD (or USB if that is where you have it). Assuming you have a current version of MFST. I mean you can try a copy, if using MFST it should show errors during the copy if there are any. A cloning dock would NOT be a good idea unless you have checked the original for errors, there is no feedback with a dock, will just keep trying and trying if there are errors and could burn out the dock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Depends on if there are errors on the drive. You can clone to another 8TB if the current drive is ok. I would check it before doing the clone, smart test (make sure you don't format it by mistake if using Windows) If ok clone is fine. If errors, well I would try MFST copy or even DDrescue which is also on the MFST CD (or USB if that is where you have it). Assuming you have a current version of MFST. I mean you can try a copy, if using MFST it should show errors during the copy if there are any. A cloning dock would NOT be a good idea unless you have checked the original for errors, there is no feedback with a dock, will just keep trying and trying if there are errors and could burn out the dock.
Smart test says that there are health issuee, but it will not affect my use of the drive.

How would I check for errors using MSFT copy?

Thanks

·
der Neuerer
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #443 ·
Smart test says that there are health issuee, but it will not affect my use of the drive.

How would I check for errors using MSFT copy?

Thanks
The best way of checking for issues is to do a full read of the drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic software.

MFSTools in and of itself does not check for errors on the drive. Your best bet would be to use ddrescue to copy the drive to a good same size drive. By using some of the switches on the command line you can use it to try to rescue any bad spots.

Just because the drive is new, I would not assume it is all good. I personally do a complete read - write - read of the drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic software before I put it use.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
The best way of checking for issues is to do a full read of the drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic software.

MFSTools in and of itself does not check for errors on the drive. Your best bet would be to use ddrescue to copy the drive to a good same size drive. By using some of the switches on the command line you can use it to try to rescue any bad spots.

Just because the drive is new, I would not assume it is all good. I personally do a complete read - write - read of the drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic software before I put it use.

I see that ddrescue is in MFSTools iso. What switches should I use for the clone with error recovery?

Thanks

·
der Neuerer
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #445 ·
I see that ddrescue is in MFSTools iso. What switches should I use for the clone with error recovery?

Thanks
I would refer you to a few references about ddrescue here and here.

The commands will depend on how bad the drive is and how much you want to recover. Using a log file helps ddrescue to run multiple passes on the same drive using different commands. The log file should not go on the source or target drives. I would first do a single pass forward and then reverse (if you have the log file) to recover the easy stuff. After that would start scrubbing the bad spots (again only if using the log file). If the source drive already remapped the bad spots, well that data is lost.

Reactions: ripple

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would refer you to a few references about ddrescue here and here.

The commands will depend on how bad the drive is and how much you want to recover. Using a log file helps ddrescue to run multiple passes on the same drive using different commands. The log file should not go on the source or target drives. I would first do a single pass forward and then reverse (if you have the log file) to recover the easy stuff. After that would start scrubbing the bad spots (again only if using the log file). If the source drive already remapped the bad spots, well that data is lost.

So, I ran ddrescue -n -d -f -v /dev/sdb /dev/sda

I didn't do the -r3 option because a couple of sites said it can make a questionable drive completely fail.

The result was 100% rescued with no errors shown. However after putting the new drive in my Roamio, It rebooted within minutes, is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks,

·
der Neuerer
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #447 ·
So, I ran ddrescue -n -d -f -v /dev/sdb /dev/sda

I didn't do the -r3 option because a couple of sites said it can make a questionable drive completely fail.

The result was 100% rescued with no errors shown. However after putting the new drive in my Roamio, It rebooted within minutes, is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks,
Try a Kickstart 58 on boot up.

Also did you run diagnostics on the target drive before copying.

·
der Neuerer
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #449 ·
I did rhe kick start 58. Should I expect any kind of message saying it ran, completed, etc?
Usually you will see something to indicate it is going to do the KS58 unless it is rebooting before it gets to that point.

·
der Neuerer
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #451 ·
The only difference is that it says it is "installing and update." Is that normal?
Yes. So is your unit still rebooting?

·
der Neuerer
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #453 ·
It hasn't rebooted in hours. Before the drive replacement It was rebooting 1 to 3 times a day. So, I'll have to probably have to wait a few days to know for sure.
I have had good luck with KS 58 fixing most issues with a Roamio. KS 57 tends to put a Roamio in a boot loop. Stay away from that.

What kind of Roamio is it?

I ask because I have found that the Roamios with an external power brick tends to be somewhat underpowered and can cause rebooting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had good luck with KS 58 fixing most issues with a Roamio. KS 57 tends to put a Roamio in a boot loop. Stay away from that.

I ask because I have found that the Roamios with an external power brick tends to be somewhat underpowered and can cause rebooting.

It's a Roamio plus that I upgraded after purchase.

·
Registered
28 Posts

So, I can get it to reboot the Roamio when minis try to load the "my shows" list. Otherwise it seems stable. Any ideas what might cause that?

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts
So, I cna get it to reboot the Roamio when minis try to load the "my shows" list. Otherwise it seems stable. Any ideas what might cause that?
How many Minis are configured for that Roamio Plus/Pro as their host DVR? Does is take just one Mini powered-on to trigger the reboots, or more? (Partly just curious: we retired our TiVos, with some of the willingness to let go relating to our Roamio Pro's tendency to reboot, often when accessing it from one of our 7 Minis.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
How many Minis are configured for that Roamio Plus/Pro as their host DVR? Does is take just one Mini powered-on to trigger the reboots, or more? (Partly just curious: we retired our TiVos, with some of the willingness to let go relating to our Roamio Pro's tendency to reboot, often when accessing it from one of our 7 Minis.)
I have three minis. 1 old style and 2 mini vox.

·
der Neuerer
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #458 ·
I have three minis. 1 old style and 2 mini vox.
Might try just trying one mini connected to the network at a time to see if it is only one that is causing it.

One consideration would be to reset the network. Pull the minis off the network physically and do a c&de on the minis. Power down the Roamio completely. Power up the Roamio and after it is completely booted up attach one mini to the network and connect it to the Roamio. If after a couple of days there are no reboots, attach the next one and so on.

Reactions: krkaufman

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts
Might try just trying one mini connected to the network at a time to see if it is only one that is causing it.

One consideration would be to reset the network. Pull the minis off the network physically and do a c&de on the minis. Power down the Roamio completely. Power up the Roamio and after it is completely booted up attach one mini to the network and connect it to the Roamio. If after a couple of days there are no reboots, attach the next one and so on.
Also, consider swapping the Mini locations, to perhaps see if it's a network cabling or hardware issue, rather than with a specific Mini (or number of Minis).

·
Registered
4 Posts
totally new to the tivo world.... having just gotten a refurb roamio pro that has not been turned on (by me), will switching out the 3 TB drive for a 10 TB drive first work without having to worry about all the things mentioned in the parts of the thread that i have scanned thru as it seems everyone had an existing unit that had been setup and with recordings they wanted to keep rather then start out with a new drive?

441 - 460 of 494 Posts