TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since its has been a few years since I have have to mess with my dish, I will turn the the forum for the latest info. :confused:

My neighbor wants to get an HR10-250, which will be his third receiver, so he came to me for some wiring advice--I thought I knew what to tell him (8x5 switch, yadda, yadda), but he only has two coax cables coming out of his dish and the installer connected the two drops directly to his two existing receivers. Since it is a 3 LNB dish, I am assuming it has a built in multiswitch, since he can see all three satellites.

Is this the new norm--I thought the "standard" was four drops from the dish, but I haven't been keeping up. If the norm is 4 drops, I assume he will need to figure our how to get two additional drops from the dish to his distribution panel, where his 5x8 switch is.

Thanks,

·
Save the Moderatоr
34,556 Posts
There is no "norm" for how different installers install, unfortunately. The closest thing to "norm" is that they do the least amount possible to get a particular installation up and running.

He'll need two more drops from the dish, and they could just go directly to the HR10-250 since there's only 4 total connections needed with the existing receivers and the HR10-250. Generally I'd suggest those two added drops plus the existing two end up at some convenient place where you could put a 4x8/5x8 multiswitch inline to provide some future expansion capabilities.

And as there's likely also a need for an antenna, that it be a separate coax run to the receiver as any future upgrade to the 5-LNB dish for Ka-band MPEG4/HD material won't be able to share the coax lines with an OTA antenna signal.

DirecTV would normally add the 2 extra lines for him if they handle the installation.

·
HD evangelist
2,517 Posts
I'm not sure but I think the minimum needed is the oval dish, which has a multiswitch. The old round dish won't see all of the HD channels, and may not even have a switch. If you need to upgrade, I would just go for the AT9 dish right out of the box, which futures you for MPEG-4. You can probably work some deal with DTV that would include this. Bottom line, you still need the extra cable runs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.