TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Tivo remote with a dvr 1/2 switch, which I have always used to switch between controlling my TiVo and my AppleTV. It’s worked great for years, but some of the buttons recently wore out and I am trying to set up a new remote.

The problem is, both devices are controlled regardless of what position the dvr 1/2 switch is in. I have programmed the remote to 1 in System settings, but since I no longer have a 2nd Tivo, I can’t program it to respond to 2, and so position two still controls “both tivos” - essentially meaning that it stays on 0, if I understand how that stuff works.

I must have done the whole 1/2 position setup on my old remote when I had two tivos. I’ve tried all manner of combinations to try to fix this, at one point getting the Apple TV to only respond to 2 but the tivo still responded to both. At the moment, I’ve lost whatever setting that configuration was.

So to start, is there some way to set the position 2 to NOT control a single Tivo? If I could get that going, I might be able to figure out from there how to get the Apple TV to only respond to position 2.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,195 Posts
What you do is Pre-setup the remote BEFORE you go into System Information. Whatever it receives there becomes set to that address.

Example: set switch to 1, Hold Tivo + Pause until the light comes on, press 1. Set switch to 2, Tivo + Pause again, press 2.
If the Tivo is already set to 1, then it will respond when the switch is set to 1 and not on 2.

0 (zero) is a generic code that responds to any address.

Reactions: pl1 and ramatsu

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have a Tivo remote with a dvr 1/2 switch, which I have always used to switch between controlling my TiVo and my AppleTV. It's worked great for years, but some of the buttons recently wore out and I am trying to set up a new remote.

The problem is, both devices are controlled regardless of what position the dvr 1/2 switch is in. I have programmed the remote to 1 in System settings, but since I no longer have a 2nd Tivo, I can't program it to respond to 2, and so position two still controls "both tivos" - essentially meaning that it stays on 0, if I understand how that stuff works.

I must have done the whole 1/2 position setup on my old remote when I had two tivos. I've tried all manner of combinations to try to fix this, at one point getting the Apple TV to only respond to 2 but the tivo still responded to both. At the moment, I've lost whatever setting that configuration was.

So to start, is there some way to set the position 2 to NOT control a single Tivo? If I could get that going, I might be able to figure out from there how to get the Apple TV to only respond to position 2.
  1. Move the DVR switch to 1.
  2. Press and hold the Pause and TiVo buttons simultaneously until the red light at the end of the remote control comes on and remains steady.
  3. Using the number buttons on the remote control, enter 1. The red light at the end of the remote control will flash.
  4. Move the DVR switch to 2.
  5. Press and hold the Pause and TiVo buttons simultaneously until the red light at the end of the remote control comes on and remains steady.
  6. Using the number buttons on the remote control, enter 2. The red light at the end of the remote control will flash.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, though some trial and error, I was able to get it set up as I needed, with pos 1 controlling only the Tivo, and pos 2 controlling only the AppleTV.

I can't say that I really understood how I did it though; after each change in the System Info: Remote number setting (being cognizant of which position the remote was in when changing the setting), the results were never what I expected. I just hit on a combination of processes in the right order almost inadvertently.

I think it was a matter of this order, but since the results weren't tracking to my expectations and I wasn't writing down each step, I may be misremembering:
  1. Delete all learned Tivo remotes from the AppleTV.
  2. With the remote in position 1, change remote number to 1.
  3. With the remote in position 2, change remote number to 2.
  4. With the remote in position 2, change it back to 1. That seemed to finally get the Tivo to only respond to pos 1.
  5. With the remote in position 2, set up the learned remote on the AppleTV.
No idea why that worked, if that was indeed the actual order I did things in.

At any rate, at least I was able to configure the setup properly without a second Tivo. But if anyone can break down for me exactly what is happening in each device (remote and Tivo) when changing that setting, I'd still like to grok the basic function better so I don't have to trial-and-error it next time.

Thanks!

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,195 Posts
Every time you go into system Information, you set the remote code. Leaving there and its all set to that.

Reactions: pl1

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What you do is Pre-setup the remote BEFORE you go into System Information. Whatever it receives there becomes set to that address.

Example: set switch to 1, Hold Tivo + Pause until the light comes on, press 1. Set switch to 2, Tivo + Pause again, press 2.
If the Tivo is already set to 1, then it will respond when the switch is set to 1 and not on 2.

0 (zero) is a generic code that responds to any address.
Thanks! I found that after that process, the tivo was set for 2, so only responded to pos 2. I then went back in and did step 4 in my process above, which switched the tivo back to using pos 1, and I think that's when everything was properly configured. I think it's just the only route to getting pos 2 off it's default 0 setting, wher it wants to control all devices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.