TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Under Maintenance
26,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if this has been talked about here yet, but Mike Rowe is back! A brand new season 9 of Dirty Jobs! I'm watching episode 1 now on the DiscoveryPlus App but my TiVo picked it up (that's how I found out about it) on the Discovery Channel as well.

I don't know about you, but this is great news for me. I loved that show. I hope old Mike (and yeah, he's looking pretty gray) still has the same magic.

Enjoy!

·
Retired
14,490 Posts
Not sure if this has been talked about here yet, but omg, Mike Rowe is back for season 9 of Dirty Jobs! I'm watching episode 1 now on the App but my TiVo picked it up (that's how I found out about it) on the Discovery Channel as well.

I don't know about you, but this is great news for me. I loved that show. I hope old Mike (and yeah, he's looking pretty gray just like me) still has the same magic.

Enjoy!
What app?

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
What I like about Mike is the fact that he pushes for none college jobs. I dropped out of college and got hired by the phone company. It was one of the best moves I ever made. I was able to retire at age 52. There is a big shortage of construction workers and people like auto mechanics and plumbing, etc. My brother in law works for a company that trains auto and truck mechanics. Companies are lined up when the students graduate offering them jobs.

·
Under Maintenance
26,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You can tell Mike has aged. I don't think I've ever seen him get tired before. Lol. He used to outwork everyone and was often such a quick study he'd be better at the person's job than they were. :D Still, for me it's got the same charm and I hope they keep it going.

·
LOAD"*",8,1
41,882 Posts
Not as impressed with the new episodes. He’s going a LOT harder on the sales pitch for the trades in these new episodes, giving them the feel of an infomercial. I just want him to show the jobs and let them sell themselves.

·
Registered
19,961 Posts
Not as impressed with the new episodes. He’s going a LOT harder on the sales pitch for the trades in these new episodes, giving them the feel of an infomercial. I just want him to show the jobs and let them sell themselves.
Well, I mean, he's not wrong.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I would think they would present hazards for people who need to work in the void space afterwards. I mean, they are above you and below you, so you bump into it with y our head or trip over them. Also, it's going to be very dark once it's all sealed up so you only have a flashlight for illumination. As it's a void space, you have to obey confined space protocols as well, which may include breathing apparatus because the air can become quite stale and deoxygenated, reducing your ability to see around you.

And thus, having random things sticking from the ceiling or floor can also be hazardous if you slip and slide into one of them and give you a serious injury.

Add to that that one might not be entering the space in the best of environmental conditions and you really want to minimize such hazards. (Murphy's law ensures that one almost always has to enter such a space when it's stormy outside and the sea is churning, so losing your footing is a possibility).

·
Registered
28,613 Posts
Yep. It's a bit much. I get it. We need people to do these jobs and they can be compensated well for that (I would hope so!). But there's a reason the job is on a show called "Dirty Jobs". The guy that said he was making more than his friends that went to college - well his college educated friends probably aren't out working in the Tampa heat lifting thousands of pounds of metal a day. I think I'll take my job that required a college degree over that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts