TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Directv Tivo receiver a little over 3 years ago. Over the past month or so, I've been getting a lot of garbled channels. Lots of pixelation. Also, sometimes when I try to fast forward or rewind, the program doesn't "move". The little arrows (for ff or rw) are there, but the program stays at the same point. It gets stuck sometimes and I have to reboot. I called Directv this morning to order a new receiver and found out that the only ones they have are the regular DVR receivers, and I'm not impressed with the reviews I've read.

What can I do to try to figure out (and fix) the problem? I have 2 dual lnb satellites. I have a multiswitch on one of them, but don't know which. The multiswitch was installed about 6 months ago, but the TIVO problems only started about a month ago, and I haven't changed anything in regards to how it's set up.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to go from Tivo to Directv's regular DVR service. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I've unplugged the svideo cable, so I'll see how that works.

How do I find out which program is recording on tuner 1 and on tuner 2? Also, how do I open the cover to check for dust? I don't think I have the right tools??

Also, any suggestions as to where I can buy another (new) Directv Tivo box?

·
Just hangin'
30,962 Posts
There is no way of telling what is being recorded on each tuner. And, in normal situations it isn't needed to know which tuner is used.

You need a Torx driver to take off the cover. Either #10 or #15, I don't know which at the moment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I have been reading and searching this forum looking for info that might apply to my case. I read another post in which the person stated that when the Tivo'd show got to a certain point, the actual tivo box would freeze up. This happened to me the other night. 15 minutes into the show and everything froze up. Couldn't ff, rw, pause, nothing. I had to restart 4 times b/c it would get to the same point in the show and freeze up, and then I finally gave up b/c getting past the first 15 minutes of that show was impossible. Does this sound like a tuner problem or a hard drive problem? I'm having problem with pixelation and a few other things (see first post). I'm trying to decide if I need to buy a new hard drive or a new box (w/o the hard drive and just use mine in it), or if I need to just breakdown and buy one of the brand new ones that are for sale on weaknees. What do you think?

I did CDE about 3.5 - 4 hours ago, and it's still on the same "clearing and deleting everything...this may take up to an hour..." screen. I don't know if this is going to help my problem or not, but at this point, I have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I finished the CDE and have got everything back up and running. How long does it take for my local channels to come back? I subscribe to MLB Extra Innings, and I'm watching one of those channels, but I have no local channels? Is this something that will correct itself?

Also, before I did the CDE, when I would go to "Read new messages", there would be no messages there, even though on the screen right before it, the little envelope icon would be visible (which meant I should have some messages somewhere). Now it says "no messages" or whatever it's SUPPOSED to say. So at least that's fixed.

So back to my original question - how long before I get my local channels back, or do I need to contact Directv?

Thanks in advance!

·
Lost in Big Bend
2,450 Posts
C&DE may work for awhile, but don't count on it. Once a hard drive starts going bad, there's no stopping it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, you're right. CD&E worked last night, but when I got up this morning, my TV was on channel 2 (which isn't even a local channel or anything). We couldn't get the TV to change channels or anything. It was just stuck on channel 2. So do you guys think this is a hard drive problem? Do you think that if I bought one from weaknees that it would fix things? I just don't know what to do at this point. I do NOT want to go to Directv's dvr service. What should I do?

Also, the TV kinda pauses for a second during shows. So that stuff is starting up again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I meant that the TIVO wouldn't change channels. I couldn't get to the menus or anything. I pressed almost every button on the Tivo remote and nothing worked. I restarted it, and so far it's working fine. I can't help but think that it's on it's last leg.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.