TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Save the Moderatоr
34,619 Posts
Well this is just gonna turn into that one extra straw someone should've held back. To have the nerve to talk about price decreases then to raise base package rates across the board...

I think if this comes to pass I'm gonna be making my first serious complaint call to DirecTV in 11 years and cutting programming down to a minimum package for awhile for the first time ever just to make a point (and test my ability to live with the lesser package :)).

· Save the Moderatоr
34,619 Posts
Lee L said:
But Earl, 2 weeks after they bragged about not raising rates and said they would not rasie them this year?
That's precisely why I'm more than annoyed. A net $5 increase isn't troubling by itself. Though there's other reasons...

1) No net channel additions
2) A channel I was paying $9.99 a month for and liked was removed
3) For the first time ever I found the picture qualilty of an SD channel atrocious (SciFi during "The Triangle")
4) A less than impressive overhyped DVR replacing existing products that were impressive isn't confidence-inspiring, coupled with a price increase for DVR service
5) That ridiculous announcement about creating their own content as a lure to teens to get their parents to subscribe. What a waste of money.
6) The focus on a fake "on demand" service that is nothing at all comparable to a real "on demand" service -- they're in denial and they're wasting resources
7) An HD local channel rollout that doesn't give any market all its HD local channels. Smart uncompetitive move and a waste of billions of dollars
8) The apparent degradation of customer service to a level as frustrating as the worst cable companies have been
9) Increasing fees on receivers and increasing cancellation penalties -- counting on discouraging cancellations through penalties ratehr than discouraging cancellations through providing excellent service and an excellent product

I'm just tired of the erosion that DirecTV has been creating over the last year. It hasn't added one single thing to their lineup that didn't also add a drawback of some sort.

As I mentioned in another thread, I could cancel DirecTV completely and barely notice anything missing since all my network and local stations are in HD and receivable by antenna. All I need is a HD TiVo to use. But in the meantime, while waiting, I can reduce my subscription with DirecTV to make a point while keeping my HD TiVo DVR's active for OTA; and if this price increase comes to pass, it's time to start making a point with DirecTV, most likely in anticipation of eventually cancelling the service entirely.

· Save the Moderatоr
34,619 Posts
Gunnyman said:
My dvr fee went up to $5.99 when I added another DVR to my account.
I'm pretty sure that they came back saying that shouldn't have happened; you might need to dig up records and talk to someone in retention to get it sorted out, though. I know it was talked about here. I'm not sure what I'd use to search for it though.

· Save the Moderatоr
34,619 Posts
http://www.directv.com/Email2006/0106_PI_green/green.html

THE PRICE OF THESE PACKAGES WILL INCREASE $3.00/mo.

DIRECTV® Limited
PLUS DIRECTV
PERSONAL CHOICE
SELECT CHOICE®
HAWAII CHOICE
TOTAL CHOICE® Value packages
TOTAL CHOICE® PLATINUM

The above packages are no longer available. If you currently have one, you may maintain your current package. See your February bill or sign in to your account at DIRECTV.com to view your current package price.

http://www.directv.com/Email2006/0106_PI_blue/blue.html

TOTAL CHOICE® $44.99/mo.

New customers on an introductory TOTAL CHOICE offer will move to the $44.99 monthly price when their offer period ends.

http://www.directv.com/Email2006/0106_PI_cyan/cyan.html

TOTAL CHOICE® PLUS $48.99/mo.

New customers on an introductory TOTAL CHOICE PLUS offer will move to the $48.99 monthly price when their offer period ends.

http://www.directv.com/Email2006/0106_PI_brown/brown.html

TOTAL CHOICE® PREMIER $96.99/mo.

New customers on an introductory TOTAL CHOICE PREMIER offer will move to the $96.99 monthly price when their offer period ends.

Any other colors? Someone please check the Crayola list. :)

· Save the Moderatоr
34,619 Posts
JimSpence said:
Those links mention "new customers", so does that mean that the price won't change for current customers?
While it is mildly ambiguous, I believe those references are to special pricing offers that new customers may have received -- stating that the price increase won't affect them until that pricing offer ends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.