TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
tivo fanatic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not only did Directv lie to us about the rates not going up this year;but as of 3-1-06,the rates will in fact go up 4%.

Also,this whole idea about leasing equipment sucks big time,meaning,the new HR20 DIRECTV PLUS HD DVR,may not be out by March 1st when the lease only option takes effect.

I cannot believe this,so that means that If I wanted to own this unit I can't because of this option;I could only rent it.

D** c'mon already.

This is not pratical and it is not becoming.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wait, I thought the lease was an option. You could buy or you could lease. Is this not the case?

This is why I hate it when I hear the word option. It makes me feel like you have a choice. Like buying a new house and there are options. Then they tell you it is more expensive to get those options. THEN IT ISN'T AN OPTION, IT'S AN UPGRADE.

If you can't purchase equipment, then lease isn't an option. It's the only thing. THEN IT'S NOT AN OPTION, IT'S A REQUIREMENT.

·
Registered
104 Posts
tivoguy28 said:
Not only did Directv lie to us about the rates not going up this year;but as of 3-1-06,the rates will in fact go up 4%.

D** c'mon already.

This is not pratical and it is not becoming.
Could you please point out where DirecTV officially said there would be no rate increase in 2006.

I hate the idea of this rate increase as well but unless someone can show me where DirecTV officially stated this then I can not see it as being a lie.

·
Save the Moderatоr
34,564 Posts
Fluffybear said:
Could you please point out where DirecTV officially said there would be no rate increase in 2006.

I hate the idea of this rate increase as well but unless someone can show me where DirecTV officially stated this then I can not see it as being a lie.
http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_3355594

Article Last Updated: 12/30/2005 03:43 AM
Programming costs prompt EchoStar to raise rates 4% in '06
By Beth Potter
Denver Post Staff Writer
DenverPost.com

Douglas County-based EchoStar Communications is raising its rates by an average of 4 percent in 2006 to make up revenue lost to increased programming costs, a spokesman said Thursday.

Disney raised its programming prices more than 7 percent, for example, said Mark Cicero, an EchoStar spokesman. He declined to give specifics.

Subscribers now pay an average of $57.80 for monthly satellite programming, Cicero said. Several package prices are expected to go up in 2006.

EchoStar has about 11.7 million customers around the country, making it the No. 3 pay-TV provider behind DirecTV and Comcast Corp.

Cable provider Comcast has said it will raise rates next year on its most popular cable package by an average of 6 percent nationwide to $47.70. But for Colorado, "there are no price adjustments announced ... at this time," Comcast spokeswoman Cindy Parsons said Thursday.

In March, the cable company raised rates an average of 4 percent, following a 6.6 percent increase in 2004. Comcast has 21.4 million subscribers across the country, with about 700,000 in Colorado.

After raising prices an average of 4 percent across the board in March, DirecTV does not expect any increases in the new year, said spokesman Robert Mercer. The company's average revenue per customer is $68.65, he said.

Mercer declined to say how many of the company's 15 million subscribers are in Colorado.

Cable giants Time Warner Cable, owned by New York- based Time Warner Inc.; Cox Communications in Atlanta; and Cablevision in New York also announced rises in rates.

Time Warner said it would raise rates an average of 3.1 percent on its expanded basic plan; Cox said prices would likely go up in several markets in 2006; and Cablevision said it would raise rates an average of 2.3 percent.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah, it sucks, but "not expecting any increases" is not the same as "rates will not increase." Now, if D* knew when Mr. Mercer made his "not expecting any increases" statement that rates would in fact be going up this year, then that's a different matter. Good luck trying to prove that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
dswallow said:

After raising prices an average of 4 percent across the board in March, DirecTV does not expect any increases in the new year, said spokesman Robert Mercer. The company's average revenue per customer is $68.65, he said.
Any chance the Mercer comment was misinterpreted? You could read this to say that after they raise prices in March (of 2006) there won't be any price increases for the rest of the year.

I don't know, but I never believe a company that says it won't raise prices. Unless it is part of an offer, a company spokesperson's statements aren't worth the paper its printed on.

·
eff.org warrior
803 Posts
Oh pay your rate increase and shut up about it. After all where going to go ? What you going to do ? Go back to Cable? For most people..........not likely.

Face it, Mr Rupert got you by the short hairs and he's going to pull them for all they are worth. :p

·
Registered
104 Posts
dswallow said:

Article Last Updated: 12/30/2005 03:43 AM
Programming costs prompt EchoStar to raise rates 4% in '06
By Beth Potter
Denver Post Staff Writer
DenverPost.com
I'm sorry but I don't see an article written in the Denver Post has been official word so I don't see how DirecTV lied to anyone. All we have is heresay...

Now here is a lie for you:

A Xerox Manager addresses an orginzational communication meeting. During the meeting, The manager takes Q&A and is asked the following question, "Will there be any lay-off's in our future?"
The manager responds, "No one sitting in this room today has to fear any lay-off's in the coming future. The company has turned itself around and everyone here will have a job in 2003, you have my word on it"

4 weeks later that same manager dissolved the same orginization and laid every single person off..

·
Registered
922 Posts
Fluffybear said:
I'm sorry but I don't see an article written in the Denver Post has been official word so I don't see how DirecTV lied to anyone. All we have is heresay...
I'm not happy about the rate increase, but I agree that this line in an article hardly amounts to Directv lying. One should also note that it is a paraphrase, not a quote. Newspaper writers often screw up messages. On the inserted box on the web page, next to Directv, it simply says "none announced."

I guess it's now been announced.

No joy perhaps, but no lie either.

·
DTV + Tvio = ;-)
766 Posts
dtremain said:
I'm not happy about the rate increase, but I agree that this line in an article hardly amounts to Directv lying. One should also note that it is a paraphrase, not a quote. Newspaper writers often screw up messages. On the inserted box on the web page, next to Directv, it simply says "none announced."

I guess it's now been announced.

No joy perhaps, but no lie either.
Yea, and giving away the refurb'd DirecTiVos kinda makes me not care. The price of nealy everything else else goes up too -- not like I wouldn't mind another new channel NOT by FOX or anything.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Fluffybear said:

Now here is a lie for you:

A Xerox Manager addresses an orginzational communication meeting. During the meeting, The manager takes Q&A and is asked the following question, "Will there be any lay-off's in our future?"
The manager responds, "No one sitting in this room today has to fear any lay-off's in the coming future. The company has turned itself around and everyone here will have a job in 2003, you have my word on it"

4 weeks later that same manager dissolved the same orginization and laid every single person off..
And probable did it on a Friday around 4:30 PM to boot!!! :eek:

Off-topic, but this is the reason why I keep my Resume up to date on a USB drive in my pocket at all times!! "Some" employers are not loyal to their employees. Yes the bottom line is important. In case as described, you KNOW that he KNEW the division was "going down in flames" when he made the comment.

·
Registered
104 Posts
cowboys2002 said:
And probable did it on a Friday around 4:30 PM to boot!!! :eek:

Off-topic, but this is the reason why I keep my Resume up to date on a USB drive in my pocket at all times!! "Some" employers are not loyal to their employees. Yes the bottom line is important. In case as described, you KNOW that he KNEW the division was "going down in flames" when he made the comment.
Actually, the big-hearted SOB waited until the day before Thanksgiving and then had some flunky manager to do dirty work.

Many years ago when I was inetrning at a radio station in Tucson, I received a great piece of advice from one of the old timers there. He also advised at keeping a fresh copy of your resume on hand but also said to keep a unsigned, undated resignation letter on hand as well. When it is time to leave a place the last thing you want to do is bring emotions in to it. Just take the letter from your drawer, sign it and walk out with your head held high..

·
Banned
3,200 Posts
jones07 said:
Oh pay your rate increase and shut up about it. After all where going to go ? What you going to do ? Go back to Cable? For most people..........not likely.

Face it, Mr Rupert got you by the short hairs and he's going to pull them for all they are worth. :p
Yep D* technically is not a monopoly but it is a monopoly cause every other option Sucks.
Btw the word option has 2 meanings for the poster above who said it should be called an upgrade. In the car business the word option refers to things that you pay extra for, But use it this way{ weighing my options, it has a different meaning entirely.}

·
Smartypants
2,486 Posts
Billy Bob Boy said:
Btw the word option has 2 meanings for the poster above who said it should be called an upgrade. In the car business the word option refers to things that you pay extra for, But use it this way{ weighing my options, it has a different meaning entirely.}
Every definition I can find for option usually involve a choice see below:

op·tion Pronunciation (pshn)
n.
1. The act of choosing; choice. See Synonyms at choice.
2. The power or freedom to choose.
a. The exclusive right, usually obtained for a fee, to buy or sell something within a specified time at a set price.
b. The privilege of demanding fulfillment of a contract at a specified time.
c. A stock option.
d. The right of the holder of an insurance policy to specify the manner in which payments are to be made or credited to the policyholder.
e. Baseball The right of a major-league team to transfer a player to a minor-league team while being able to recall the player within a specified period.
4. Something chosen or available as a choice.
5. An item or feature that may be chosen to replace or enhance standard equipment, as in a car.
6. Football An offensive play in which a back, usually the quarterback, has the choice of running with the ball or throwing a forward pass.

from thefreedictionary.com

Looks like they used def 3a The exclusive right, usually obtained for a fee, to buy or sell something within a specified time at a set price. BUT I don't think it fits.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.