TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a quetion for those of you out there who are learned in the subject. I currently subscribe to DirecTV and have a standard stand alone series 2 TiVo DVR. I was considering upgrading my existing TiVo unit to the Hugues HR10-250 HD DVR so I can get HD programming in the near future and be able to record one channel and watch another. BUT from my understanding, (something I read online somwhere), DirecTv has desolved there partnership with TiVo in favor of comming out with there own DVR equipment. What is worse is the fact that supposedly, DirecTv will boadcast its HD programming in a signal format (MPEG4) which the Hughes HR10-250 cannot decode into HD. I sent an e-mail to Driectv asking about this. All I got was a form letter that said that DirecTv will continue to suport the DirecTv DVR with TiVo and standalone DVR with TiVo service, but they did not mention wheather or not you can use the HR10-250 to recieve HD signals now or in the future.
Ivar

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your replys. I am still very disappointed that DriecTv has decided to try to come out with their own DVRs instead of keeping their partnership with TiVo. I have tried one of those cheap TiVo knock offs at a friends house and they don't hold a candle to the real thing. Most of the ones I have seen are just hard drive based VCRs, not much else. Other than the fact that DirecTv wants to try to get ALL of your TV dollars, I don't see why they can't keep TiVo. If companies like Comcast or Knowledgy come out with Tivo based DVR's, I will drop DirecTv. Someone posted something about a TiVo cable card. What exactly is this?
Ivar

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.