TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Probably just cutting over to the new dishes. Really is no point to continue installing the 3lnb dish after a certain point. The more the new dish is out their (especially for new installs) the easier it will be to convert down the road.

·
Poster of News
30,419 Posts
Natl geo would be cool. I get pbsHD in with some regularity (weak OTA signal) and have seen very detailed pictures of stuff on there. Of course geo will probably just be mpeg4 of course but oh well at least some people will benefit and it's a step towards other channels coming on board.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It makes sense that DirecTV would start to only install AT9's. I see no earth shattering news in this specific rumor (in fact, I've already seen it posted elsewhere last week).

I see no "hard rumor" in the thread regarding the rollout of new nationals - just speculation by Scott linking the AT9 switchover to a possible rollout of new MPEG4 Nationals.

I would be pleasantly surprised if this annoucement also relates to the rollout of National HD channels. Unfortunately, for the past year or so, I haven't been pleasantly surprised by DirecTV.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I see no reason that this indicates any new national channels are coming. This is just a cost saving measure. This begins the phase out of Phase III dishes. This is predicatable as DirecTV wants to make the support window for Phase III as small as possible. Why support more types of equipment than you have to? Also, why install a dish that might have to be replaced in a couple of months to a couple of years?

I commented on this before:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=3512551&&#post3512551

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I am moving in September and i want a new 5LNB dish to be installed. Hopefully the HR20-250 will be available and not suck too much by then. I am moving further away from the broadcast towers that I currently pick up with my silver sensor and I would prefer not to put up a big antenna on the roof.

·
Poster of News
30,419 Posts
Thing I dont get though, is why, when dtv absolutely knew that they would be rolling out mpeg4 in X number of cities, why they would install anything other than the 5lnb in new installs there? Sure, not everyone would immediately be getting a new receiver, but still seemed like a logical move.

oh well, they aren't logical. But to hear people who would be turned on in just a few months get just the triple lnb dish sounded so wasteful to me.

as far as national HD, i'm personally hoping they never get any new channels so i dont feel guilty about keeping my old hdtivo around ;)

·
What happened, TiVo?
2,219 Posts
They want to minimize the cost down the road to switch, so start installing the new dishes now.

Big whoop.

No new HD channels on the horizon, trust me...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seminole said:
D* is on thin ice with me right now
Same here. I wrote to complain about the declining picture quality (especially things like the SciFi channel) and they insisted on sending someone out to check my equipment. There's nothing wrong with my equipment but I figured since it was on their dime what the heck. However, I'm not willing to commit to anything if they are simply going to compress the crap out of everything they send down to us. I would love to have FiOS as an option but I'm afraid it will be a long time before it's available in my area. While I do not really want to go back to Cablevision, it may be my only choice for the short term if things continue in their present state. I really need to visit some of my neighbors and investigate the quality of their Cablevision signals. My HDTiVo may be the only thing keeping me from switching.

·
Bring on the HD
96 Posts
I wonder how many customers are going to be lost simply because of the inability to pull in a signal from 5 satellites. I had a terrific signal with my 18" round dish (mid 90s on all transponders). Simply switching to the Phase III last week has dropped my signal to the mid 70s on 101 and 110, and the mid 60s on the 119. I may not get the HD channels at all once the leaves come back on my neighbors' trees (100' high trees are common in my neighborhood). I've read that since the 119 bird is low on the horizon in the Northeast it's already a problem for many people. How much trickier are things going to get with two more satellites to pull in?

·
Registered
22 Posts
If your signal diminished on the 101 bird simply by changing the dish, then there's most likely a problem with the alignment. A properly aligned phase 3 dish should not cause the sort of degradation you have experienced.

As for the new the new 5 LNB dish, I would think that if you could get signals from the previous three slots (and I agree with you that this is not an easy thing for everyone) you should be able to get a signal from the new birds as well in most cases since the new slots are very close to the existing ones.

·
Save the Moderatоr
34,558 Posts
pudge44 said:
I wonder how many customers are going to be lost simply because of the inability to pull in a signal from 5 satellites. I had a terrific signal with my 18" round dish (mid 90s on all transponders). Simply switching to the Phase III last week has dropped my signal to the mid 70s on 101 and 110, and the mid 60s on the 119. I may not get the HD channels at all once the leaves come back on my neighbors' trees (100' high trees are common in my neighborhood). I've read that since the 119 bird is low on the horizon in the Northeast it's already a problem for many people. How much trickier are things going to get with two more satellites to pull in?
Your new dish is just not aligned properly.

The new satellites are centered around DirecTV's main position of 101 degrees (99 and 103 degree positions for SpaceWay 1 & 2), as such unless someone's shooting through a hole in the trees now to get 101, they'll likely get 99 and 103 OK. It's not as bad as if they were off in a completely different direction like 119.

I would expect that when the new satellite launches in 2007 are operational that we'll see all the HD available from the 99/101/103 satellites since it would make more sense not to spread content across the sky that any given subscriber is likely to want. Keep the 110 and 119 positions for more obscure program packages like the international channels and for SD local into local services.

·
Bring on the HD
96 Posts
dswallow said:
Your new dish is just not aligned properly.
At what point does signal strength equate to a noticable drop in PQ? Should I call the installers back?

·
Registered
22 Posts
pudge44 said:
At what point does signal strength equate to a noticable drop in PQ? Should I call the installers back?
When you get complete drop-outs. A good signal does not mean a better picture it means less/no drop-outs and a decreased sensitivity to things like rain-fade.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.