TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have been a DirecTivo user for years and are now finally looking at DirecTV HD. I would love to continue to use Tivo, but I am thoroughly confused what my options (if any) are for DirecTV HD and Tivo.

Can anyone please enlighten me and give me some advice on how to proceed? I really don't want to use the DVR from DirecTV if possible, nothing I've seen compares to Tivo...

Thanks.

John
 

· has gone his way...
Joined
·
4,421 Posts
jentwistle said:
Hello. I have been a DirecTivo user for years and are now finally looking at DirecTV HD. I would love to continue to use Tivo, but I am thoroughly confused what my options (if any) are for DirecTV HD and Tivo.

Can anyone please enlighten me and give me some advice on how to proceed? I really don't want to use the DVR from DirecTV if possible, nothing I've seen compares to Tivo...

Thanks.

John
There is NO option to use any TiVo platform, for DVRing the new DirecTV HD content.
 

· I am the me.
Joined
·
820 Posts
he said "nothing he's seen compares to tivo", not , "nothing he hasn't seen compares to tivo."

I don't see a contradiction here.

it follows logic that he's asking for input on that which he has not seen, does it not?

/spoonfeed
 

· Skin cancer I need like a hole in the head.
Joined
·
4,310 Posts
If you want to keep TiVo, go with FIOS. Any upcoming HD channels from Direct TV will be in mpeg4. Even if you can still get an HD DirectTiVo, it will only be able to record mpeg2 channels. HD mpeg2 will eventually be discontinued by Direct TV.

On the other hand, if you can get all your local channels over the air and you're not interested in anything else in HD (HBO, Discovery, ESPN, etc.), than Directv is still an option, assuming you can still get the HD Directivo.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
3,540 Posts
Get FIOS and a TiVo HD or a Series 3 TiVo. You'll get the TiVo interface and real HD content, not DirecTV's fake HD-lite garbage.
 

· Just click ignore
Joined
·
2,611 Posts
CrashHD said:
he said "nothing he's seen compares to tivo", not , "nothing he hasn't seen compares to tivo."

I don't see a contradiction here.

it follows logic that he's asking for input on that which he has not seen, does it not?

/spoonfeed
The first part of his sentence was "I really don't want to use the DVR from DirecTV ". Why would that be unless he has already made the assumption it would not compare with Tivo (the second part of his statement) even though he hasn't actually used it? So how can one say they have not seen anything that compares to Tivo, when they haven't actualy seen anything at all?

That's like me saying I would not want to buy any other brand of car because I have not seen any car that compares to my Nissan, even though I have never driven any other model. Perhaps it's not a contradiction, but it certainly defies logic.
 

· No intent to annoy
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
Arcady said:
Get FIOS and a TiVo HD or a Series 3 TiVo. You'll get the TiVo interface and real HD content, not DirecTV's fake HD-lite garbage.
When you're fortunate enough to have FIOS, life with Tivo is good. Even when Tivo and DirecTivo get back together, the DirecTV compression issues will remain.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,632 Posts
Arcady said:
Get FIOS and a TiVo HD or a Series 3 TiVo. You'll get the TiVo interface and real HD content, not DirecTV's fake HD-lite garbage.
Again, you have no idea about MPEG4 HD but you keep posting this over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....
 

· No intent to annoy
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
TonyD79 said:
The magic incantation.

Bad downsampled HiDef video source compressed via MPEG4 will simply be bad video made even worse via compression. As is bad HiDef video compressed via MPEG2. It doesn't get better via compression; there is no magic.

Most people see source material compressed via MPEG4 as better than the same source compressed via MPEG2 (different, for sure) AT EQUAL FILE SIZE. But DirecTV is not going to give you equal file size; their intent is to give you even less quaiity, and smaller file sizes, by ratcheting up the compression even further.

The bottom line is that once the dust settles most DirecTV viewers will be watching pretty much the same satellite HiDef quality they get now. If they are satisfied with HiDef lite now they will probably continue to be satisfied with it. Though the compression artifacts are _different_ and may be noticed by a few.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top