TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DirecTV, the satellite TV provider controlled by Murdoch's News Corp. (NWS:NYSE - commentary - research - Cramer's Take), wants to profit from offering the so-called triple threat of television, telephone and Internet services that some rivals already dangle before consumers. Operators like the triple threat because it increases both revenue and customer loyalty. So far satellite companies have not been able to fully capitalize on this so-called bundling push because of their lack of two-way transmission capability.

If News Corp. is able to build out wireless data service through DirecTV, it could mark a large change in the competitive landscape.

"This could re-focus attention on satellite at a time when it is being largely ignored as a competitive threat to cable," said one analyst.

A News Corp. rep referred calls to DirecTV. DirecTV and EchoStar representatives weren't immediately available for comment.

News Corp. Chairman Murdoch said late last year that his wireless strategy would become apparent within the next couple of months. He said the company could invest $1 billion in such plans. One source said, however, that the deal could be even bigger.

While both DirecTV and EchoStar offer high-speed data services through co-marketing agreements with telcos, they are discovering the myriad advantages of in-house triple-threat service. Cable system operators like Time Warner (TWX:NYSE - commentary - research - Cramer's Take), Comcast (CMCSA:Nasdaq - commentary - research - Cramer's Take) and Cablevision (CVC:NYSE - commentary - research - Cramer's Take) have been competing with big telcos like Verizon (VZ:NYSE - commentary - research - Cramer's Take) and AT&T (T:NYSE - commentary - research - Cramer's Take) on the triple-threat push.

more in link
http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/tech/internet/10265051_2.html

·
Certified Neurotic
3,927 Posts
Well, DTVs internet presence with DirecWay is a disaster, so if they don't change it, maybe the best they'll be able to do is a double-threat.

·
Got Basenji?
9,603 Posts
If DirecTv and Echostar really wanted to make a killing, they would have set up a JV to do all teh locals and they would have tons of capacity for extra stuff like VOD, Etc. Now of course they are repeating the same mistake with HD Locals

·
Registered
548 Posts
You know, when Verizon offers me TV programming over my FIOS (sometime this year?) It's going to be hard for not to jump and take it and full-fill the promise of triple-play (I guess only DTV sees this as a triple-threat.

The programming is similar, at least for what I watch, and the DVR is probably at least as good as the R15.

By DTV focusing on triple-play, I believe they are missing the boat. They need to be focusing on what they do best: content delivery by satellite. And they should be trying to do that the very best. Best HD, Best DVR, Best VOD, Best Locals, Best Movies

What compells me to stick with DTV once Verizon supplies TV services?

I mean they don't even have TiVos anymore.

If DTV were to do all the above, I'd be much less liely to switch to FIOSTV.

I can tell you I don't think I would ever switch to any triple-play offered by DTV. I might as well get it from McDonald's.

·
Registered
617 Posts
How can you compare them to McDonalds? DTV is a content delivery provider backed by a multi biollion dollar corporation thats based on technology. It's not like doing something like this would be a long stretch for them. What makes them any different then Verizon trying to deliver TV to my house? This isn't their primary market and who says they know what they're doing and that they won't screw it up. Yes I also think DirecTV needs to boost their core product in what it does but I sort of thought thats one of the things they are working on with all these new sat's going up and such. As for phone service, yes I can agree here thats not really something I know that I would trust with them seeing as most likely they are going WiMax for internet but then again who's to say they don't just buy out someone like Vonage or another VoIP provider? I have been using Vonage over RoadRunner for over 4 years now and love it. I guess I just don't see how you make the analogy of them and McDonalds.

·
DTV + Tvio = ;-)
1,084 Posts
The whole hub-bub over the previous Denver Post story about no DTV rate hike (and the "DTV Lied to Us" thread)...just a joke. :)

I do look forward to what DTV has to offer for the triple play though (no joke).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts