TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called technical support this morning about our h20 box having troubles, when the technical support lady derailed from the issue to bring to my attention that I had an hd-tivo box in use in the other room.

Apparently, the hd technology used in the hd-tivo box is no longer going to be broadcast come September first and she stated I have to upgrade for free (free equaling $20 for shipping/handling)

I challenged that statement for clarification. She said we should have been notified months ago of the necessity of upgrading. After getting off the phone with her, I have been searching their website for verification but have found none (not surprising)

I called back to get clarification and that person had been told the same thing, but went searching to find if there was a hard deadline listed anywhere. I said that if that was the case, shouldn't a message have been sent via receivers stating if you use this box for hd programing, it won't work after September 1st? He then found the TIVO announcement for the software upgrades and apparently that the message announcement via receiver is scheduled to be released this month on the seventh. He speculated that the announcement about the technology not working for HD might be on that message. I doubt it.

Has anyone here heard any news relating to this? And/or, does anyone else want to try and call to get a better answer?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Pretty unlikely as that's less than a month away. I have an HR10-250, and haven't received any notice from DirecTV about this either.

I know I'll have to upgrade to the 20 sooner or later, especially for newer content that will only be delivered via MPEG4. I just don't think that 9/1/07 the current MPEG2 format broadcasts are going to stop.

·
Registered
19,009 Posts
New channels that come in September and forward will not work with your HD-TiVo, you will continue to receive the channels you have now until an unknown date, likely next year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that about the new channels, and when I clarified that with their service reps, they state that the current hd channels received are stopping come September.

Up until these phone calls today, my understanding was exactly what you are stating vertigo235.

·
Registered
19,009 Posts
Don't believe it, until it happens.

But as you have allready pointed out, if they did that.

A LOT OF PEOPLE would be calling asking WTF is up.

They really don't want that to happen.

·
Registered
129 Posts
magicpointeshoes said:
I know that about the new channels, and when I clarified that with their service reps, they state that the current hd channels received are stopping come September.

Up until these phone calls today, my understanding was exactly what you are stating vertigo235.
If NFLST Superfan is only MPEG4, I will lose it. There is no way there are going to have me tied up for another 2 years just to use their HR20.

·
Registered
11,448 Posts
I went ahead and scheduled a swap out of my three HD Tivo's for three H20's - cost of shipping.

My reason for doing it now is that my shows stored are at an all time low due to summer - when the fall season starts up, I would never have been able to watch the shows fast enough :D

Keeping fingers crossed that I won't hate the new DVT.

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
They trying hard to lock up those two year contracts before U-Verse and Comcast/Tivo really start upping the ante.

I sense a real fist fight in about 6 months.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I checked into Comcast tonight, and for the equivalent programming it would be about $15/month more. However, after watching the atrocious picture quality on the NFL Network tonight, I may be inclined to give them a shot even if it is more expensive...

·
Registered
565 Posts
magicpointeshoes said:
Excerpt from an email reply received from DirecTV customer service a few weeks ago:

"...I understand your concern about how our transition to MPEG-4 transmission will affect any MPEG-2 equipment you may have. Let me reassure you that most customers will be able to use their MPEG-2 equipment for quite some time. At this time, our current HD programming will continue to be broadcast using the MPEG-2 standard."

:cool: FWIW

·
Advanced Member
136 Posts
jfischer said:
I checked into Comcast tonight, and for the equivalent programming it would be about $15/month more. However, after watching the atrocious picture quality on the NFL Network tonight, I may be inclined to give them a shot even if it is more expensive...
You'll have to add the Sports tier programming w/Comcast to get the NFL network. I was ready to make the switch but we're hugh NFL fans here and not willing to pay extra for one channel. Verizon FiOS TV will be available here next year and that's my migration strategy. Just hope my HR10 holds up and DTV continues w/MPEG2.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.