TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Even though Signal strength could be high, WIND could jiggle the dish around enough to cause the pixelation/freezing. Some recievers are more susceptible to this than others.

We have taken a R-10 on road trips(RV with TRACKVISION) and every over pass/bridge we drive under results in about 5-10 seconds of freezing/blank screen, while an old hughes box with no Tivo does not even blink when going under bridges and such. This is at highway speeds of course.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK.....so I have been having all the issues that you ALL describe in this discussion thread. I started to notice the issues right away, but since I am new to having satellite TV, I just thought that the pixelation and delays were due to satellite, NOT because of the TiVo DVR.
I lived with the problem for a while including the resets without calling because I at least knew that a reset would 'restore service' so I could keep watching TV. Didn't think much of it until I started to have to reset the receiver 2-3 times a day or more (I got mine mid-Sept 05).
Well, issues persisted - through holidays - but going through troubleshooting with first and second level not very fun - repeat the same story twice or more...NOT FUN! Anyway, I finally got sick of and called on Jan 10, 2006. They told me to reformat which took me a while cuz I had to watch everything that I wanted. After reformat, problem seemed to lessen, but not go away and now it's getting worse and worse - I missed Dr. Phil because of it freezing up...now I'm really pissed! Booooooo!
So....tonight I called D* and they of course made me explain the issue twice. Note after Jan 10th call they did admit I might need a new DVR, but NEVER told me that I would have to pay for it or sign a service contract due to leasing. Tonight, they told me that...urgh! Apparently, even though I've been having the issue since practically Day 1, since I waited until Jan 10th to call, I am OUT OF WARRANTY (no one ever explained a warranty option to me). Replacing it via D* will cost me $100 - is it worth it? And if so, what equip. do I ask for specifically?

How do I know what version of code I have on my receiver/DVR?
If there are defective drives out there, has anyone heard of discussion for addressing with the manufacturer?
How do I run diagnostics on it or check for failures and associated error messages?

Thanks!
(BTW - I am not the same as mlklein above....)

·
TiVo Fan
1,352 Posts
DesignDawg said:
This isn't possible TiVo DVRs are perfect.
This is usually a sign that the hard drive is failing, if you are receiving a strong signal.

And an extra note to "DesignDawg", all DVRs, any make or model can have this problem at any point in their lifetime. This not something that Motorola, Moxi, Scientific Atlanta (Cisco), ReplayTV, DirecTV, Dish, LG/Microsoft, Sony, TiVo, Humax, Swann, Dish, Samsung, Sharp, or Microsoft (UTV), can stop from happening from time to time.

As a special note, I have what will soon be a six year old Sony TiVo DVR, which is still running its original OEM hard drive and an additional 60GB Maxtor that I added to it when it was only a couple of months old back in 2000 and I have never had a problem with it. In other words, the Sony SVR-2000 has been running almost non-stop (except for two days when I moved in 2002) for 5 years and 10 months with its OEM HD and 5 years and 8 months with two hard drives and no other modifications. It has nothing to do with it being a TiVo or a Sony, because back then Sony used the same parts except for some remote control programming.

I do know that my Sony SVR-2000 will not likely make it another two years, but then again it has been great while it lasted.

I have three HDVR2s that have not had a single problem in what will soon be three years of continuous use, unless the problems where caused by a messed up DirecTV feed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My R-10, which i bought in Jan 2005, freezes up about once every week or 2, usually in the buffer mode, never that I can recall, in the recording mode. In fact, one time it froze in the buffer (or live) mode while something was recording on the other feed. Interestingly, it never stopped recording that feed until I finally restarted the unit. I learned this, of course, after the fact. Usually, the R10 freezes up when I "exercise" it, constantly using the 8-second return button to review sports plays, for example. However, I'm pretty sure it's never frozen on actual recordings. Perhaps the key, I suppose, is to simply record every live show that I'm going to "screw around" with. It never freezes "by itself", only when I play with it. I just wondered if there was another way to allieviate the problem without doing a hard restart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ll chime in as well.

One of my R10s is experiencing exactly the same thing. The other one has no problems at all.

The problem box will pixelate or stutter every 20 minutes or so. It seems to happen on both tuners at the same time. I was watching live TV and it stuttered. I switched to the other tuner and hit replay. I saw the stutter in the buffer on that tuner as well.

This leads me to believe it’s not a tuner problem but something else.

We don’t put the R10s in stand by. We just turn off the TV.

Sometimes we’ll turn on the TV and the screen will be blank (black). No audio or video. It’s that way on all channels. Other times we’ll turn on the TV and the video is frozen with live audio playing. If I switch the channel, it’ll go blank screen on me with no audio. It won’t record shows while there is a blank screen.

Also, the stutter shows up in recordings.

Sometimes I’ll see the banner that I need to activate my service. Sometimes my System Information screen says Account Closed. Other times it says Account in Good Standing.

A reboot will fix it for a while.

Signals are strong. Temp is Normal. Both R10s were purchased brand new in sealed boxes at the same time.

I see a couple posts saying it’s the hard drive and others saying the box is bad; get it replaced.

Has anyone just replaced the drive in a box that does this? If so, did a new drive solve the problem?

I’d be tempted to replace the drive if it will solve the problem. I’d like to avoid the "return your new box and get a beat up refurb that might have the same problem" game with DirecTV.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Joe

Actually there are two threads that seem to talk about what I am experiencing.

This thread and help! R10 feed turns to black every few days.

·
Get the ketchup.
19,354 Posts
profbobo said:
I’ll chime in as well.

One of my R10s is experiencing exactly the same thing. The other one has no problems at all.

The problem box will pixelate or stutter every 20 minutes or so. It seems to happen on both tuners at the same time. I was watching live TV and it stuttered. I switched to the other tuner and hit replay. I saw the stutter in the buffer on that tuner as well.

This leads me to believe it’s not a tuner problem but something else.

We don’t put the R10s in stand by. We just turn off the TV.

Sometimes we’ll turn on the TV and the screen will be blank (black). No audio or video. It’s that way on all channels. Other times we’ll turn on the TV and the video is frozen with live audio playing. If I switch the channel, it’ll go blank screen on me with no audio. It won’t record shows while there is a blank screen.

Also, the stutter shows up in recordings.

Sometimes I’ll see the banner that I need to activate my service. Sometimes my System Information screen says Account Closed. Other times it says Account in Good Standing.

A reboot will fix it for a while.

Signals are strong. Temp is Normal. Both R10s were purchased brand new in sealed boxes at the same time.

I see a couple posts saying it’s the hard drive and others saying the box is bad; get it replaced.

Has anyone just replaced the drive in a box that does this? If so, did a new drive solve the problem?

I’d be tempted to replace the drive if it will solve the problem. I’d like to avoid the "return your new box and get a beat up refurb that might have the same problem" game with DirecTV.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Joe

Actually there are two threads that seem to talk about what I am experiencing.

This thread and help! R10 feed turns to black every few days.
I went through this and the first attempt was to replace the access card, but it didin't help. Now I am waiting for the replacement from DirecTV. I got my R10 as a refurb in the DVR4ME deal. These refurbs must appear to be ok to DirecTV since they work normally for a while. I just hope the replacement I get doesn't have the same problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kablemodem said:
I went through this and the first attempt was to replace the access card, but it didin't help. Now I am waiting for the replacement from DirecTV. I got my R10 as a refurb in the DVR4ME deal. These refurbs must appear to be ok to DirecTV since they work normally for a while. I just hope the replacement I get doesn't have the same problem.
Yeah, that's my concern. People are sending in their R10s for the freeze/pixelate problem. DirecTV looks at them and they seem fine. They don't watch TV for 20+ minutes and notice the reported problem. They get boxed up and put in the Use for Replacement Queue. If this continues for too long, the only R10s DirecTV will have to send out as replacements with will be the problem ones.

Of course I don't have any way to confirm this is what's happening. That's just my guess.

If the problem occurs because of a bad hard drive, I'd rather replace the drive myself and keep my R10. Has anyone confirmed if the freeze/stutter/pixelate and then blank screen problem is indeed because of the hard drive?

·
Registered
104 Posts
profbobo, do you live in an area that gets a lot of thunderstorms? That would explain the simultaneous pixelations between the 2 tivo's. That's a dish reception problem, not a tivo problem. In any case your problem does not sound like mine. Mine has been on its best behaviour lately...probaby cuz I haven't been messing about with it so much.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.