TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
lbbruiser
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 500 gig TiVo bolt no remote or hd I have ordered remote about to order hd was not included and I would like to try and find TiVo instructions hand book from registration to upgrade to using can you fine people help. I am knowledgeable about electronic hardware just first time I have purchased a TiVo box independent of satellite dvr etc

·
wait.. I did what?
14,622 Posts
If the unit does not have a service plan attached to it you will find that it is almost useless to you for anything other than changing channels and the occasional manual recording, it will have no guide data and no network functionality without a service plan.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
If the unit does not have a service plan attached to it you will find that it is almost useless to you for anything other than changing channels and the occasional manual recording, it will have no guide data and no network functionality without a service plan.
You can do manual recordings on a Tivo with no service? That's at least as good as a VCR. I didn't think anything except live TV worked.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,622 Posts
You can do manual recordings on a Tivo with no service? That's at least as good as a VCR. I didn't think anything except live TV worked.
In the past there were limited manual recordings you could schedule but they would have no guide data and you can't get them off the unit because you would not have network features, but I'm not 100% sure where that stands on a Bolt, but in general a Bolt without service isn't worth the value of the components in it. I have a bad feeling the OP may not know that and will just be wasting their time, and we can queue up the comments of " they want me to pay how much just for guide info?" discussion that frequently comes up in this type of a post. ;)

Reactions: mdavej

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
In the past there were limited manual recordings you could schedule but they would have no guide data and you can't get them off the unit because you would not have network features, but I'm not 100% sure where that stands on a Bolt, but in general a Bolt without service isn't worth the value of the components in it. I have a bad feeling the OP may not know that and will just be wasting their time, and we can queue up the comments of " they want me to pay how much just for guide info?" discussion that frequently comes up in this type of a post. ;)
Isn't the clock messed up without a network connection? I was having trouble a couple of weeks ago, and with my Bolt unplugged, the clock stopped. Then when I couldn't connect to TiVo, the clock stayed at the incorrect time. I suppose one could time unplugging the unit to get the time right and maybe even the day right to be able to do manual recordings (if all other things work). But then the clock would start drifting.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,622 Posts
Isn't the clock messed up without a network connection? I was having trouble a couple of weeks ago, and with my Bolt unplugged, the clock stopped. Then when I couldn't connect to TiVo, the clock stayed at the incorrect time. I suppose one could time unplugging the unit to get the time right and maybe even the day right to be able to do manual recordings (if all other things work). But then the clock would start drifting.
I believe some units do drift, but you can still plug them into the network and do a Tivo service connection and the clock will set as it checks its status to verify it has no service plan :)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I believe some units do drift, but you can still plug them into the network and do a Tivo service connection and the clock will set as it checks its status to verify it has no service plan :)
Oh, okay. I couldn't get to the TiVo server because my own network was fouled up. I didn't realize you could get to the TiVo server even if you didn't have TiVo service. Thanks.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,622 Posts
Oh, okay. I couldn't get to the TiVo server because my own network was fouled up. I didn't realize you could get to the TiVo server even if you didn't have TiVo service. Thanks.
Yes, they have to be able to check the servers to see if someone has added a service plan to them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.